Welcome to Gaia! ::

The lack of women, in my opinion, is representing the lack of women role models in Tolkein's home life. It is known to make women uncomfortable with the lack of female characters in her books. It does not make me uncomfortable though. I am a huge fan of both LOTR and The Hobbit! I enjoy that the only women is looked at as extremely beautiful since she is the elven queen!

Tipsy Prophet

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Didn't make me uncomfortable at all.
I don't really think it's necessarily a good thing to insert people of x trait in things just to keep it from being "offensive." I don't enjoy when token characters are shoved into perfectly good stories emotion_donotwant

But what's with all the Galadriel hating going on D:

Original Sweetheart

10,925 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Rebuilder 100
  • Object of Affection 150
Luthien Tinuviel.

Meanwhile, I thought the Hobbit was enjoyable just as it was. There's nothing wrong with a story centered around men any more than there's something wrong with a story centered around women. It was excellent for what it was written for.

Galadriel was an amazing woman all in her own right but you kind of have to read the Silmarillion for the full scope of that. Tolkien wrote some fierce women, just not for the Hobbit.

Timid Prophet

Laili
Galadriel is one of my favorite characters. I LOVED her in the Hobbit more than LOTR. It kinda helped break up the amount of manliness going around.

Friend!
User Image

I completely agree with you, and just can't understand the amount of hate Galadriel is getting. I can't help but love a strong woman who's still very...womanly. She's elegant, beautiful, and kind, yet at the same time powerful, wise, and proud (but just to the point of knowing she deserves the dedication of her people). Tolkien wrote few female characters, but when he did make them he made them right!

Ace Vampire

10,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
i think its just the slightest bit unfair, but thats the way things are. a guy needs a group of strong people who can fight for a journey that takes forever (i think in the book its like 9 years or something). what will guys mostly choose? guys.
Isn't there mention of Bilbo's mother, Belladonna Took, who was adventurous and such? Though in the book, she is just for the introduction to Bilbo's story and why he is the way he is, because he is a Took.

Kalib's Wife

Tiny Shapeshifter

13,750 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Battle: KO 200
I'd like to point out something that many people might not understand....It's not that Tolkien was sexist himself or even explicitly that society was sexist at the time.... you have to understand that writers put what they are familiar with into their books...Tolkien spent most of his time surrounded by male colleges and males students, and his own war experiences where male centric.... so please don't think he didn't write any female characters into The Hobbit to be sexist, he did it because he didn't have much exposure to women in non-domestic settings.

The important women in his life where a mother that died quit young and a wife who meant the world to him.

Original Genius

6,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
I didn't care.
And sure, Galadriel's beautiful, but she's got other qualities.

Kurai Tensei's Husband

Salty Lunatic

9,500 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
Silme_Ethel
Akina
If everything had to be changed to suit a feminist view, classic literature would be ruined.
And anyhow, Eowyn killed the with-king Angmar in LotR.

and that is pretty badass for me wink

I just realized I typo'd "Witch" as "with".

Yeah, Eowyn was no push-over.
SPOILERS: DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU WISH TO AVOID ANY SPOILERS!!!! FOR THE HOBBIT!

It's cool because Tauriel, badass woodland elf, Captain of the Mirkwood Gaurd is making her entrance in the second installment of the Hobbit.

I ain't gonna lie. I like my Xena chicks and if they can be integrated within a story (within reason and lore) then YES, BY ALL MEANS.

Apocalyptic Worshipper

dia-chan
It's cool because Tauriel, badass woodland elf, Captain of the Mirkwood Gaurd is making her entrance in the second installment of the Hobbit.

I ain't gonna lie. I like my Xena chicks and if they can be integrated within a story (within reason and lore) then YES, BY ALL MEANS.

Whose entrance?

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
Ugolek
Isn't there mention of Bilbo's mother, Belladonna Took, who was adventurous and such? Though in the book, she is just for the introduction to Bilbo's story and why he is the way he is, because he is a Took.

YES. Thank you.

I did hope that she would somehow appear in the film, the famous and adventurous Belladonna Took. She's only mentioned a couple of times, but they are enough to excite the curiocity. It seems that Bilbo being her son was one for the reasons why Gandalf chose him.

I was a wee bit disappointed that we didn't get to see her.

Aged Sex Symbol

What the hell is this, a social justice blog?

Invisible Bloodsucker

4,600 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Manly Lunatic

The White Council part was in the LOTR Appendix telling us where Gandalf keeps disappearing too in The Hobbit, and that is why it's in The Hobbit movie.

Anyways, yeah, women were given bigger roles in LOTR movies to fill in gaps where there were minor characters that we would only briefly seen and lot of people who never read the books wouldn't understand. Like how Arwen rescued Frodo, but in the book it was actually Glorfindel, who may have been the same Glorfindel of Gondolin, resurrected. Since Elves can be reborn.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff