Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
tiddlekinz
Requiem ex Inferni
Ramra the Destroyer
Try looking for the female Dwarves. They look and sound a lot like the Dwarf men.
(Hint: It's the beards)
They showed at least one dwarf woman in the movie. She had no beard.

I'm positive I saw dwarf women with mutton chops. (like in the picture below)

User Image

I think even with a beard they look really cute. emotion_jawdrop
It's the same elf chick from the LoTR that resists the temptation of theRing when frodo offered it. SHE is very old and very vain. She even states that with power, she would be a dark and terrible queen, beautiful and beloved and feared by all.

Other then that, she was also taller then all the men around her, Gandalf, Elrond, Soroman or whatever whom is gunna be all evil later.

Honestly, I didn't find her beautiful, I thought she was creepy looking. Elongated, too much white on her, sickly blonde hair, gah. Just made her seem alien.

And there were a few dwarven women with thin mutton chopes and beards at the begining. They were cute in their own right.

Man-Hungry Elocutionist

12,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Popular Thread 100
Requiem ex Inferni
Ramra the Destroyer
Try looking for the female Dwarves. They look and sound a lot like the Dwarf men.
(Hint: It's the beards)
They showed at least one dwarf woman in the movie. She had no beard.

There were several dwarven women shown at the start of the film, and they all had at least mutton chops.

I didn't find it uncomfortable the lack of female characters. It wouldn't be true to the book, or the setting. In that time in Middle Earth, women simply wouldn't be fighting, going on 'quests', etc. Though I personally think that Eowyn, Arwen and Galadriel are perfectly capable of kicking a** in their own right. razz

Benevolent Gaian

8,200 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lilla_Lee
Wait a moment? There was a female character in a movie? Didn't notice that.
Thorin and his warrior drarfes were so cool and hot that I didn't even care about the women lol

Yeah - half of the time they spent filming the movie was probably devoted to getting her painfully slow turn just perfect, and positioning the dress.

Apocalyptic Worshipper

Akina
If everything had to be changed to suit a feminist view, classic literature would be ruined.
And anyhow, Eowyn killed the with-king Angmar in LotR.

and that is pretty badass for me wink

Apocalyptic Worshipper

AkaTsuki-chan
Lilla_Lee
Wait a moment? There was a female character in a movie? Didn't notice that.
Thorin and his warrior drarfes were so cool and hot that I didn't even care about the women lol

Yeah - half of the time they spent filming the movie was probably devoted to getting her painfully slow turn just perfect, and positioning the dress.

I positively hate Galadriel >.<, I bet she would be an annoying friend so have, so snobby...

Sinbbus's Wife

Sparkling Fairy

42,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Magical Girl 50
It didn't click until the way home after the movie but I did notice the lack of females mostly because it made me say to my husband "oh That's why Galadriel was shoved into the movie, So that there would be a female character." I probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't put her in the film, the elves annoy me and I was trying to think of what reason did the writers have to put her in the film. And I am not uncomfortable with this in the slightest.
I don't think the exclusion of a race or a gender in a movie is inherently sexist or racist, if it's subconscious.
Thinking about it now, maybe it could have been a sexist decision, but I don't think it's sexist not to put female characters in a story if the author just wants to write about men, necessarily. If the choice to exclude them was because women are weak or boring or whatever, then obviously that's a different thing, but I don't look at a book or movie and judge the preferences of the creators just on how many of one group of people are in it. Sometimes the story just fits right with certain people, sometimes writers are more comfortable writing about certain people. Who knows?

Also, like someone said before, sometimes it's nice just to fan over some cute guys.

Friendly Bookworm

Galadriel is one of my favorite characters. I LOVED her in the Hobbit more than LOTR. It kinda helped break up the amount of manliness going around.

Invisible Phantom

10,550 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
Atticus Gatsby
The Hobbit is pretty great. But was anybody else a bit uncomfortable with the fact that there's only one named female character in the film (and none in the book, I think) and that she's written in a way that makes her main character trait 'being super beautiful'?

I know the film is based on a book that was written when there was no concern about women's representation in popular culture, so maybe that excuses the film? I don't know. It made me uncomfortable.

Otherwise, it's an excellent film, I think.

As a woman myself, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. It's just the type of story. The characters are (speaking mainly of the dwarves) meant to be a bit burly and male. When you look at culture throughout many time periods you see the men being the ones going off to war, fighting the enemy, and generally in the "dangerous" roles. That's not to say that women can't be in those roles, but men seem to be the first choice and fit better in these role for a book/movie. Sometimes a story is better if the characters are mainly male, sometimes vice versa. It just depends on the story.

This is just how I see it, you all may see it a little different.

Tipsy Bloodsucker

I can't let it bother me. The man is an artist. It's his book.

If I want lead female characters in my own major fantasy movie
and have them done right, I'll have to do it myself.

But that's not going to happen, so I'll just enjoy The Hobbit as it is.

Fuzzy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Profitable 100
The hoobits women were ugly

Tipsy Bloodsucker

Aranagnis

I think even with a beard they look really cute. emotion_jawdrop

I like it too.
4laugh

Apocalyptic Worshipper

Chronos_Ten
The hoobits women were ugly

You didn't get hot looking at the one doing washing at the beginning of the film wink ?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff