Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Gekko

Well, you have to think about the book. In Tolkien's time, were women allowed to be imaginative and go off on epic adventures like that?? I've never looked it up myself, but...I wouldn't think so.
Don't fret about the realistics. Just focus on the incredible story.
Requiem ex Inferni
Ramra the Destroyer
Try looking for the female Dwarves. They look and sound a lot like the Dwarf men.
(Hint: It's the beards)
They showed at least one dwarf woman in the movie. She had no beard.

I'm positive I saw dwarf women with mutton chops. (like in the picture below)

User Image

Regular

Honestly, throwing in a warrior woman to appeal to FEMALE EMPOWERMENT would have greatly displeased me. There are plenty of other movies for that.

Dapper Cultist

You are forgetting the other female character, probably because she wasn't in the first film, and frankly, she is the deepest female character through all the books.
I'm speaking of Shelob of course. :]
and although she is a sight to be seen, she is certainly not there to stand around and look pretty.

Aged Member

Requiem ex Inferni
Ramra the Destroyer
Try looking for the female Dwarves. They look and sound a lot like the Dwarf men.
I was just making a reference to a conversation in the Two Towers xd
Vlad T
You are forgetting the other female character, probably because she wasn't in the first film, and frankly, she is the deepest female character through all the books.
and although she is a sight to be seen, she is certainly not there to stand around and look pretty.

Wait, we're talking about the Hobbit, right? Shelob isn't in The Hobbit D:<

I better get my "Old Fat Spider" scene. . .

Dapper Cultist

distome
Vlad T

lol, not in this movie, probably the next one though. She is in The Hobbit (the book) for sure. I'm a total nerd for her and know way too much.
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T

lol, not in this movie, probably the next one though. She is in The Hobbit (the book) for sure. I'm a total nerd for her and know way too much.

No. She is not in the book. She's in LOTR, but NOT the hobbit. I JUST FINISHED that book and though there are a nest of giant spiders, Shelob is not mentioned at all.

If they insert her into the movies and replace that whole nest of spiders I will be so pissed. Don't you remember the scene where Bilbo sings to the spiders to distract them from eating the dwarfs? Am I the only person on this forum who's read the Hobbit recently?!?!?

I hate you all.

Dapper Cultist

distome
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T

No. She is not in the book. She's in LOTR, but NOT the hobbit. I JUST FINISHED that book and though there are a nest of giant spiders, Shelob is not mentioned at all.

If they insert her into the movies and replace that whole nest of spiders I will be so pissed. Don't you remember the scene where Bilbo sings to the spiders to distract them from eating the dwarfs? Am I the only person on this forum who's read the Hobbit recently?!?!?

I hate you all.

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you? Calm down and breath you psychotic fanboy.
She spawned the spiders that lived in Mirkwood and one in particular is mentioned more, I made a mistake. Are you gonna rage to the world about it now?
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T

I hate you all.

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you? Calm down and breath you psychotic fanboy.
She spawned the spiders that lived in Mirkwood and one in particular is mentioned more, I made a mistake. Are you gonna rage to the world about it now?

Sorry, I don't care all that much, I just came here hoping to talk about the dumb movie or book and instead it's like nobody actually read the books or can even communicate clearly.

I just rarely care about popculture stuff so I don't get to join in on these discussions often. ~bad at life~

Dapper Cultist

distome
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T
distome
Vlad T

I hate you all.

Sorry, I don't care all that much, I just came here hoping to talk about the dumb movie or book and instead it's like nobody actually read the books or can even communicate clearly.

I just rarely care about popculture stuff so I don't get to join in on these discussions often. ~bad at life~

Sorry, I have a short fuse. It does seem like not much is posted in this forum though and it's been several years since I read the book.

and a lot of people online have the most upsettingly wrong misconceptions about both The Hobbit and LOTR. >.<

Kurai Tensei's Husband

Salty Lunatic

9,500 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
If everything had to be changed to suit a feminist view, classic literature would be ruined.

And anyhow, Eowyn killed the with-king Angmar in LotR.

Wheezing Explorer

26,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Conventioneer 300
Coniglio Nero
I don't find it unconfortable at all especially if you think about the time it was written. Men where the ones who went to war during Tolkien's time and in other books like the Silmarillion there are planty of female chars (altough they see little action in it as well).

Totally agree.

Benevolent Firestarter

Requiem ex Inferni
Ramra the Destroyer

most disappointing part of the movie tbh

Dangerous Sex Symbol

9,100 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
No, I think it's really okay.
Mmmgh watching all 3 hours on smexy dwarves, It's just perfect, no women needed emotion_drool emotion_drool emotion_drool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff