Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Sex Symbol

But not terrible
hopefully it gets better as the series progresses.

Dangerous Flip-Flopper

7,200 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Member 100
  • Thread Flip 150
Of course it wasn't.
It was a children's book. It was about a hobbit that helped a rag tag group of dwarves get their home back from a dragon. The Lord of the Rings was about a lot more then that. A lot more.
You cannot even compare the two, the Hobbit is fantastic but is no lord of the Rings.
(=

Tipsy Darling

10,150 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Friendly 100
Agreed. I think LOTR is perhaps more appealing to a wider audience as well.

Super Lunatic

No way Lord of the Flies sucked. (jk I know what your getting at)

But seriously I feel like they have different appeal.
midnight_panther
Of course it wasn't.
It was a children's book. It was about a hobbit that helped a rag tag group of dwarves get their home back from a dragon. The Lord of the Rings was about a lot more then that. A lot more.
You cannot even compare the two, the Hobbit is fantastic but is no lord of the Rings.
(=

why does everyone always say that when people say LOTR was better?

Honestly, I felt The Hobbit film was all over the place, without a central focus, for the first half of the movie. Jackson was so bent on adding the Silmarillion he forgot to integrate things smoothly. I had to see the movie two times to not be confused, and I'm usually pretty darn good at following story lines, even when they deviate.

It's great that the Silmarillion was added in, but 95% of it was shoved into the first hour. The story didn't settle onto it's haunches until Rivendell.

Too many concepts and side ward plots were being forced out in too little of time, at the very beginning of a new adventure.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

The hobbit was written for a younger audience But it IS connected to LOTR and they could have made it 50x better, and less confusing. Also, the computer animations sucked. You could DEFIANTLY tell what was real or fake.
I enjoyed the film. For me it's simply the fact that the story is weaker in the Hobbit than the Lord of the Rings. They're trying to spice it up a bit by adding a lot of things from the Silmarillion but it was always going to be the case that LotR is simply the better story. The Hobbit was very enjoyable too though. smile

1,100 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
midnight_panther
Of course it wasn't.
(=

I agree with this.

The Hobbit was just the cutesy prequel. Lotr was written for adults. You can't compare the two. ^.^

Sparkly Shapeshifter

13,950 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Millionaire 200
Heather the Brave
But not terrible
hopefully it gets better as the series progresses.
hopefully... my dad and i have already decided that unlike LOTR where is was worth waiting in line for hours to see the midnight showing... we will no longer be waiting for the sequels to the hobbit. I wa disappointed. Radagast, Azog, the goblin king, and the over all lack of peril... not to mention the over reliance on cg affects... definitely no LOTR... trouble was the producers/director decided to attempt giving a simple story that is the hobbit a grand and complex plot like LOTR. they are a different breed of horse and should be treated as such. Hopefully the sequels get better.

Friendly Friend

5,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Gender Swap 100
        the problem is that the book was written for children, but jackson tried directing the movie to an older audience. and, yes, while i loved that they referenced the silmarillion and added radaghast, it does seem rather rushed.

however, you also have to realize the monumental expectations set by lord of the rings, and the fact that there were so many more characters to be brought to life.

while i understand why people might not be pleased, i, personally, adored it.

Bunny

13,950 Points
  • Over Easy 100
  • Sunny Side Up 100
It was better than Lord of the Rings.

btw, has anyone that says Jackson added plot from the Silmarillion even read the book?
He doesn't have the rights to add anything from the Silmarillion, nor will he ever get them.

Which I'm glad he doesn't, since he totally screwed things up with LotR movies.
I wouldn't want to see more of the history of Middle-Earth messed up by him.
He doesn't get anything right with those parts of the movies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games