Welcome to Gaia! ::

My sister and i saw the hobbit on the premier, and while i was very pleased with the movie, she was not as impressed.
She said that she did not enjoy the Gollum scenes because there was too much humor, and it made it seem childish.
I personally feel that the movie was the definition of perfect, but i do give it too her that there was quite a bit of humor in there. (don't get me wrong, i loved it)

I think that at some moments, you could be at the edge of your seat, bitting your nails. While other times there was a nice relaxed feel.
What is your guy's input? Did you like the playfulness of the movie?

tl;dr= What do you thing about the humor in the movie?

High-functioning Witch

37,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Beta Gaian 0
User Image
I liked the humour. I felt from when I read the books that The Hobbit was never meant to be as serious business as LOTR, so I was hoping that Peter Jackson wouldn't attempt to make it that way.
I like the fact that he made it more lighthearted (but kept serious moments in there). I think it was extremely well done.
Nineteen Eighty-Four
User Image
I liked the humour. I felt from when I read the books that The Hobbit was never meant to be as serious business as LOTR, so I was hoping that Peter Jackson wouldn't attempt to make it that way.
I like the fact that he made it more lighthearted (but kept serious moments in there). I think it was extremely well done.

Yup. He definitely did the book justice. 3nodding

Dapper Codger

with doves
My sister and i saw the hobbit on the premier, and while i was very pleased with the movie, she was not as impressed.
She said that she did not enjoy the Gollum scenes because there was too much humor, and it made it seem childish.
I personally feel that the movie was the definition of perfect, but i do give it too her that there was quite a bit of humor in there. (don't get me wrong, i loved it)

I think that at some moments, you could be at the edge of your seat, bitting your nails. While other times there was a nice relaxed feel.
What is your guy's input? Did you like the playfulness of the movie?

tl;dr= What do you thing about the humor in the movie?

What was your sister expecting? The iconic riddle scene was far from childish. Did your sister read the book? All the riddles were basically the same as in the book.
S H E R L O C K E D
What was your sister expecting? The iconic riddle scene was far from childish. Did your sister read the book? All the riddles were basically the same as in the book.

My sister has read the book, actually before me. I don't think that she thought the riddles were different, but rather that they seemed to make Gullom funny, like when he called himself stupid and such. Even if that did happen in the book, the directer didn't have to follow it, and she thought it would have been better to make Gullom more scary and mysterious.

But yes, the riddles were the same as in the book, for the most part.

Tricky Lunatic

I finally got to see this tonight and I loved it. The humor was a big part of what made it so great. Every time I read the books, I find myself grinning and laughing about something. It's a much more light-hearted book than LotR and I think Peter Jackson did a great job getting that across without losing those serious, dramatic moments. The mixture of both is what makes The Hobbit such an entertaining, captivating story, so it was nice to see that played out on screen.

Moonlight Delight

~Where There Is Love There Is No Darkness.

I think your sister is silly. razz
Gollum isn't scary. He's sad. That's a point that's made throughout the series.
I agree with what everyone else is saying, actually. The book is really light-hearted, even with all of the darkness creeping in. I'm glad Jackson didn't try to make it into another LotR. It's The Hobbit. I was pleased to see that it remained as such.
On the topic of the overall humor, I was in love with it. It was just enough without going over the top. I was especially pleased when I saw it again today when I noticed that just about everyone laughed at the right time. The dude behind me must have been in his sixties and he was absolutely thrilled with the film.
It's my personal favorite for the year, actually.

Aged Zealot

The comedy was wonderful. Very much in regard to the banter I was pleased.
i love it! especially the part with the 3 giants or ogres(i forgot what they are) when they tried to cook the dwarves,and the hobbit tries to buy them some time.i really like that part rofl

Moonlight Delight

Naeza
i love it! especially the part with the 3 giants or ogres(i forgot what they are) when they tried to cook the dwarves,and the hobbit tries to buy them some time.i really like that part rofl

~Where There Is Love There Is No Darkness.

Trolls. <3
I agree, it was really silly.

Dapper Dabbler

7,950 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
its a childrens story
its light hearted

people need to stop expecting LotR lite and take it as it is

O.G. Codger

20,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Bloodsucking Bros 250
  • Battle Hardened 150
The humour was a huge part of why it was so good! I think it actually make the characters more real.

Thieving Rogue

16,750 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Member 100
You should remind your sister, that the Hobbit was a children's story and Gollum's scene is almost exactly like it was written in the book.
I thought there was some forced humor with Radagast, but I don't think they stepped too far over the line.

Perfect Friend

I didn't have too much of an issue with the humor. The Hobbit was originally a children's book if I remember.

As far as Gollum is concerned, at this state in Gollum's existance he possessed the ring, the thing that made him happier than anything in the world. He's so bitter and angry in the LotR trilogy because it was taken from him, and he was tortured by Orcs for information.

But all in all, I liked the movie a lot.
3nodding

Hygienic Genius

I absolutely loved it.
I read the book, and the humor, if anything,
made me grow to love it even more.

There's something about it that gives me the warm fuzzies.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff