< 1 2 3 4 5

Hallowed Sex Symbol

8,850 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Ravishly Bitten
T3h Jinji
Well. I've a couple qualms about it. Understand that I haven't actually seen the new Hobbit yet. And my two qualms run with each other.

1. I like the Hobbit book. I'm usually much harsher with book-to-movie adaptions when I know the source material.
2.The LotR trilogy has three books, each much longer than the Hobbit by itself. Yet each of those gets only one movie, while the Hobbit gets 3?

Yeah, I know why they're doing it. Money. Fine, I get that. But between the two, there's a hell of a lot less excuse to skip details than ever before.

You do know that they left out alot of scenes that were supposed to be in each and every movie right? If you watched all of the extended versions it would add atleast 2-3 hours on top of the 3 movies.

Obviously. The point is that there's a lot more material to pull from out of the trilogy, while the Hobbit is a smaller volume than any of those three and yet is getting 3 movies for itself.

Bunny

30,425 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
i just feel the need to rant somewhere~!! this movie is so underrated, and the LotR is so overrated!! it makes me literally wanna cry cat_crying

i'm just gonna quote someone on a totally different site that i read abt how they went on explaining the changes of the LotR books vs movies. because i couldn't agree more, and couldn't've said it better myself, and it'd be good for everyone to know that never read the books of LotR, then read the Hobbit, then watched the Hobbit and were disappointed and decided they just love LotR, and they were made respecting the story, while the Hobbit was made for money.. *sigh* i can't disagree more..

Quote:
Peter Jackson rewrote it.

As for not agreeing with my view of the leaders in the book vs movie, here are some examples:

1. Aragorn: movie: “I never wanted this life” – book: “I have been fighting sauron all my life” – The thought and planning of overthrowing Sauron was all he ever wanted/did.

2. Theoden: movie: “we will flee to helms deep” – book: “gather everyone, we shall attack immediately”

3. Treebeard: movie: “This isn’t our fight” – book: “we must act, lets have an entmoot to plan the attack”

4. Denethor: movie: “I’m crazy and had no idea mordor was standing outside of my walls” – book: he planned multiple attacks outside of the walls and didn’t lose it until he saw faramir "dead. Gandalf even said that he had mental power and that sauron couldn’t take over, only scare him.

5. Faramir: movie: “I will take you to my father so he can have the ring” – book: we should not discuss the ring. Here are some supplies and advice, good luck on your journey.

6. Gandalf: movie: show’s signs of fear all the time. staff broken by witch king. book: “you will not enter the city.” to gimili – “I am more terrible than anything you could ever see unless you were to sit at the foot of sauron’s thrown”

7. Elrond: movie: Arwen, you have to leave! there is nothing for you here! – book: reforges the sword BEFORE they leave rivendell. Sends his sons and rangers south to help. Oh and he didn’t travel 800 miles to hand a sword to someone.

8. Even freaking shadowfax bucked in fear at the nazgul. In the book he was fearless.

Finally, I have to add all of the nonsense. Gimli: movie: bumbling comic relief – book: proud warrior. Merry & Pippen – again, fools in the movie, not in the book. Arwen: movie: LOVE STORY!!!! book: the elf that they see twice that Aragorn is going to marry. Elves at helms deep? Nope. Dead army at Minus Tirith? Nope. The story was about the transition of power from elves to men, not about how men always need help.

cat_talk2hand gosh, with what comes to the Hobbit, they actually managed to bring depth to characters that barely had a surface before. i found them to be rather loyal to the book. they didn't change things (except Azog), they just made some scenes a bit more dramatic.
through Gandalf, they even apologized for this; "All good stories deserve embellishment."
I love the book. but i love even more that the movie took a different approach to the story. it's basically the same story, but while i think the book was Bilbo's perspective, i think the movies took a broader view of it, and told it as a story of Middle Earth, the way Tolkien himself wanted to modify his book much later, after he had made LotR books, but was denied to do so by his publisher. i'm happy abt that also, i really love the book. it's just amazing that there's now two ways to approach it. they got the atmosphere just right, and the pace, imo, was very soothing, the movie didn't have a rush to tell the tale, which i've never seen in a movie adaption of a book before. it's a definite plus.

Romantic Genius

All this is the movies.
I prefer the LotR to the Hobbit.

That being said I think that the Hobbit had some brilliant moments.
I liked how they showed the friendship between Gandalf and Saruman, and how it showed that at that time, he was a mentor to Gandalf.
The obvious care that Gandalf tends to show hobbits and even the dwarves (him mother-henning they company made me laugh so hard), really showed how deeply he cared.
My favourite part though has to be the solemn Dwarf song at the beginning. My dad likes to disagree with this but for me it shows how the dwarf as a people have grown since they were exiled from their home. It also showed how the death of two monarchs in a relatively short time affected them. Blunt the knives (where they were gathering all the dishes after the meal), shows that they are still the boisterous people they were before, but the Misty Mountains show how they have grown as a people, which I think was done brilliantly.
The other thing I enjoyed was how young and relatively carefree Elrond looked. It impressed me because this was chronologically in the past compared to LotR, and from this you can infer that he has had less stress and cares than when the elves were preparing for their exodus from middle earth and the final war for the one ring.

I loved how the musical themes carried over into the hobbit, where it did not necessarily have to be so correlated. (I just love Howard Shore)

On the other hand, I love the relationships between the hobbits in LotR. They are just so incredibly loyal, and caring for those whom they like. Sam is my favourite there because, well he is just so awesome. He charges into battle with his frying pan and you just have to appreciate that he tries to feed the fellowship but he will bring it with his frying pan. He also puts up with alot of crap from Frodo. Frodo only attacks his friends and waits for someone to save him, which really bugs me. All the other hobbits overcome their fears and rise to become great warriors, where Frodo continuously puts himself in danger and attacks his allies.
Yes, I do understand that being the bearer of the ring is a great strain, and induces paranoia but he should have at least been able to start fighting with at least some competence considering how many scraps they have gotten into.
The relationships between the characters I adored. Especially between Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. It was like they were brothers, and Gimli was the little brother. I found that this relationship was apparent at the beginning of the Two Towers, and throughout after the initial animosity between Gimli and Legolas.
I found the relationship between Legolas and Aragorn extremely humbling. Legolas, the Prince of Mirkwood, pledged his allegiance to Aragorn, the lost king of Gondor. It highlighted how different Legolas was to the rest of the elves, who would have joined the party had Elrond ordered but not have offered his services to Aragorn. Legolas then throughout the movies protected Aragorn when he could, and it was made obvious that Aragorn relied heavily on the elf. This is seen when in Helm's Deep (where he yelled for Legolas to stop the orc with the torch), and when he calls Legolas to defeat an elephant.
The relationship between Gimli and Legolas just warmed my heart. It was a complete and total big brother-little brother relationship. They were so competitive, but they obviously cared for one another. The other part of their relationship I enjoyed was how it overcame the elf-dwarf prejudices so that they were the best of friends.

Over all my favourite person in the film was Legolas.
He was really bad a**, but Peter Jackson did not make him perfect, or infallible. Legolas was portrayed as an excellent warrior, as seen by his amazing archery skills, but he still had his faults, as seen when he was unable to stop the torch runner at Helm's Deep. He has doubts which he does express, but is able to reconcile when he realized he had no reason to doubt his friend. Legolas is able to overcome the prejudice between dwarf and elf with grace when Gimli said at the end that he could not believe that he would die beside an elf, Legolas immediately responded with them being friends. He also invites healthy competition between him and Gimli by joining in on the orc-counts when they do battle. He even brushes off when Gimli says that the elephant only counted as one.

Sorry about the length sweatdrop

Gracious Gekko

9,875 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
Can't decide, they're both amazing in their own respective ways.. crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash