Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Hoarder

What did you think of Tauriel?

Personally I enjoyed her more than I thought I would. I still don't know where she fits into the grand scheme of things, being an OC.

Personally the whole romantic subplot with Kili was cute, but it`s just going to be terrible when he dies in the next movie sad

I think Peter Jackson is going to kill her off too. It might help the emotional progression of Legolas.

Melodious Genius

4,100 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Junior Trader 100
I didn't love her, but I didn't hate her either. She honestly felt like a character that had too much going on, and was strained in that way (archer, healer, love interest). I think if she'd had a single role, either as an archer or as a healer, I would have enjoyed her more.

She honestly doesn't fit into the big picture that is The Hobbit. I feel that she was just brought in to 1) play a love interest and 2) play a strong female role. Both of these roles are things that were not in the book, and even as a female viewer who likes her strong female characters, wasn't necessary. Overall, the movie probably would be just fine without. Would some people potentially not come> yes. I have some friends who I know would complain if there wasn't at least one female character that was playing a strong role somewhere. But there was a lot of dragging with Tauriel as she was pretty much forced as a character into too many roles that made it difficult to place her anywhere.

Enkyubus's Wife

Melodious Conversationalist

As someone who has never read The Hobbit and has neither read nor watched The Lord of The Rings trilogy, I didn't mind her much. Yeah, she had a bit going on for her, being 3 different things at once, but it was really cool seeing her and Legolas fighting alongside each other.

I mean, really. Seeing this for the first time, Legolas seems pretty OP. I feel like if he were by himself he'd be a killing machine, and well, hell, may as well end everything there, let him handle everything alone.

I enjoyed the little subplot with her and Kíli, cause it made me care about them a bit more, like okay they have a reason to be out there. Tauriel wants to save her new crush [kinda lame, but hey, I'd do it too dammit], and Legolas doesn't want to lose his strongest. henceforth leading to that very entertaining river scene... surprised

It's nice to have a female role that isn't just being an elf, staring at the mountains and talking telepathically to others, and yes it does widen the demographic audience a bit. I usually prefer movies to stay as true to the source material, but if the director wants to take some sort of different approach [add/remove characters, speed things up, etc] then so be it, as long as it's good.

Ferocious Doll

Double-Click Darling
I didn't love her, but I didn't hate her either. She honestly felt like a character that had too much going on, and was strained in that way (archer, healer, love interest). I think if she'd had a single role, either as an archer or as a healer, I would have enjoyed her more.

She honestly doesn't fit into the big picture that is The Hobbit. I feel that she was just brought in to 1) play a love interest and 2) play a strong female role. Both of these roles are things that were not in the book, and even as a female viewer who likes her strong female characters, wasn't necessary. Overall, the movie probably would be just fine without. Would some people potentially not come> yes. I have some friends who I know would complain if there wasn't at least one female character that was playing a strong role somewhere. But there was a lot of dragging with Tauriel as she was pretty much forced as a character into too many roles that made it difficult to place her anywhere.

It's a one sided love interest. You have to keep in mind the hobbit was written in the trenches of the world war. Honestly it was pretty common for soldiers to romanticize or for that matter see their 'healer' as being great and other worldly. Your slowly dieing of sepsis the old maid with the antibiotics looks like a fox.

Melodious Genius

4,100 Points
  • Befriended 100
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Junior Trader 100
_The_Black_Magic_Bunny_
Double-Click Darling

It's a one sided love interest. You have to keep in mind the hobbit was written in the trenches of the world war. Honestly it was pretty common for soldiers to romanticize or for that matter see their 'healer' as being great and other worldly. Your slowly dieing of sepsis the old maid with the antibiotics looks like a fox.

Except Tauriel is not a character from the novel. In the novel, there weren't any female characters that were brought to the forefront. All of the characters that the book focuses on are male (Thorin and Co., Bilbo, Gandalf, Bard, Elrond, etc.). Tauriel is only present in the Peter Jackson adaptation.

Desirable Lover

9,650 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
Dunno, but with her not being in the LotR Trilogy of movies. I have a feeling she may take a bullet in There and Back Again during the Battle of the Five Armies.

Codebreaking Mage

14,050 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Battle: Mage 100
Team_Lads_Michael
Dunno, but with her not being in the LotR Trilogy of movies. I have a feeling she may take a bullet in There and Back Again during the Battle of the Five Armies.

I was thinking they might kill her off in the next movie too.

I actually think it's nice to have an action girl added to the cast, they just have to be careful with this sort of thing in order to keep her from taking over the movie.

Dangerous Gaian

5,500 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I thought it was cute that tauriel and kili had a love plot kinda, but like thorin would allow that and I don't think she would be willing to give up her life in mirkwood to be with kili....... her as a character I didn't think she was really necessary other than a love interest and a strong awesome female but she was pretty cool.... but her saving kili and then the elven king being a huge jerk off she could be with him unless jackson stays true to what happens to kili and fili in the battle of the five armies

Powerful Mage

Tauriel created a huge bustle in the movie. She sidetrack attention from the main plot, also, that romantic line with Kili is just something silly. I wouldn't mind her to be in the movie, no. I think she is ok with female balance, she gave colors for the movie by this bustle. But I think it's too much of her still, like this story at 50% about The Hobbit and 50% about Tauriel and her romantic line with a dwarf. That's and overdose, that shouldn't been happened. I was hoping that PJ was going to create something more awesome than this, but srsly I don't want to believe that he twisted such a good book into the movie to get a loads of $monys$. Anyway, I loved the movie. I always rewatch LOTR and The Hobbit often, but seriously. If PJ also make in the movie that Kili dies not for Thorin, but for Tauriel, I gonna be very upset. I will be just WTF with a broken heart. And poor Mr. Tokien, he will flip in his coffin like an engine, if his creations still be using as profanation for money earning.
But this is just my opinion, ok.
" I thought it was kind of forced and the love triangle was a bit... below the dramatic level that LOTR has set up. I think they are probably going to kill her off. "

Shy Explorer

E d e l i

I agree 100%. When I heard the first rumors of a new elf being added, I instantly was afraid of them getting somewhat sidetracked with Kili and all... But seriously? Leaving half of the dwarves back in the town just so that Kili could have his cute moment with Tauriel was a bit much. I'd have prefered some of the time taken from their interactions and adding in that scene with Gandalf introducing the dwarves 2-by-2 to Beorn. ^^;

Powerful Mage

Elena Kiara Again
E d e l i

I agree 100%. When I heard the first rumors of a new elf being added, I instantly was afraid of them getting somewhat sidetracked with Kili and all... But seriously? Leaving half of the dwarves back in the town just so that Kili could have his cute moment with Tauriel was a bit much. I'd have prefered some of the time taken from their interactions and adding in that scene with Gandalf introducing the dwarves 2-by-2 to Beorn. ^^;

I still love PJ's movies, they are awesome, as I mentioned. But loads of canonical features were broken. And as I said, I wouldn't mind Tauriel in the movie, but for The name of Durin, these romantic scenes were just overplayed. I still have a huge butthurt of it, I hope in the third film the romance between dwarf and elf will break till the moment when both of them die.
I she is my favorite character,

High-functioning Hoarder

Elena Kiara Again
E d e l i

I was really concerned with them leaving 4 of them behind! Thorin really pissed off Fili and Killi - now why would they die for him if 1.) their confidence in him has been shaken or 2.) if they physically aren't present?

Shy Explorer

E d e l i
I still love PJ's movies, they are awesome, as I mentioned. But loads of canonical features were broken. And as I said, I wouldn't mind Tauriel in the movie, but for The name of Durin, these romantic scenes were just overplayed. I still have a huge butthurt of it, I hope in the third film the romance between dwarf and elf will break till the moment when both of them die.

Yeah, I was hoping that Tauriel would follow in the footsteps of other women in the Lord of the Rings movies, being a badass and loving someone as a bonus kind of. xD Here, I feel like her priority is her crush on a dwarf she just met and she's not as badass because of it.
[ Glass_wings ]
I was really concerned with them leaving 4 of them behind! Thorin really pissed off Fili and Killi - now why would they die for him if 1.) their confidence in him has been shaken or 2.) if they physically aren't present?

Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll all travel off to see him once the dragon's slayed so they'll definitely be there at the battle. But seriously, if they show Kili as more concerned for Tauriel than his uncle, that will piss off many fans. xD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff