Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
To all of those unhappy with the book to movie situation, you'll live. Period. However, I do have some friendly advice for you, to perhaps makes this a little easier; don't see it in the same universe as the books. Also, don't see it as a literal adaption from book to movie, it's not.

I know people resist this idea, but just think about it. If you put the book out of your head, and watch the movie as if you've never heard of it before, it won't be as muddled by your thoughts of the book. It's not easy, hell no, you'll be sitting there comparing it, no matter what happens. However, once it's over, if you say to yourself; not bad for a movie, not as good as the story the book told, but not bad; it'll be easier not to get butt-hurt over.

Before you say 'but it was based on the book, it should follow it!' No. It does not have to. It is not an adaptation of the book to the screen. No. He was not REQUIRED to follow it perfectly, which gave him the freedom to do what he did. Okay. I'm going to stop here, because this is going to turn into a rant, and I want this to stay friendly.

tl;dr:

- split the books and movies into different universes. Don't even put them on the same level. (every book made movie I've been with, this has worked for me.)
- remember, he wasn't required to follow the book to the letter. Hell, he just had to have only a few of the things the same.
-Be polite to one another, some people enjoyed it, others didn't.
- Results may vary using this train of thought. It can take effort, but can be done. There are only a few things that have been made from book to movie that are unforgivable, and The Hobbit wasn't one of them unless you let it be. At least the story told made mostly sense.

Please don't b***h at me about this. I don't want to argue, I was just offering a way to make your 'pain' seem bearable. Generally, all things I see as argument starting worthy, are gonna be ignored by me. Have a great day!

Schlaghund's Princess

Sweetest Delight

58,900 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Nerd 50
  • Sunny Side Up 100
I just wanted to talk about my Hobbit food at Denny's and I stumble upon this very reasoned post. Took the wind right out of my sails. rofl

But, yeah, I agree with you, Dave - I went to see this with my brother and he was all rant-rant-rant about things not matching up. It was a total "Dude!" situation, you know the kind, where that's all you can say after you politely listen for as long as you can take it.

Anxious Cat

They didn't even go to Beorn's house. :c
And I don't remember Radagast being in the book. Or maybe I just have poor memory, but i have read the book several times.
they don't got to the Berons until later in the story. its a big part. i don't think they will leave it out.

but from reading the book right before the movie. i thought it was pretty darn good! given they added a few things here and there. but they did that with the other 3 Lord of the Rings too. i thought they followed the book exactly how i would want them too, but better!!

Popular Regular

I agree. The people who complain about that are conceited and pretentious,

Dapper Lunatic

10,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Clambake 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
emotion_kirakira Couldn't agree more, OP!

Quotable Genius

12,425 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
A film and a book are two different media. The film has to be true to the standards of film-making and judged only according to them.
If you have this in mind, plus don't expect to see the images, thoughts and feelings that were shaped in YOUR head when you read the book, you'll be fine.

Familiar Fatcat

It actually is an adaptation of the book. Ehehehe

But that still proves your point. It is an adaptation, which means its going to be different than the book.

I personally haven't read The Hobbit, but I've read plenty of other books that have been adapted into films. They are almost NEVER the same as the book. If you want to read a book and then see a very close film adaptation, read/watch The Hunger Games.

And to the people who are complaining, imagine how much would have been left out had the movie just consisted of one, normal-length movie. Instead, we get three movies, and I'm assuming they're all going to be long like the first one. If you're whining about how off the movie is from the book, look up some interviews with the actors/director/producer/whoever, and you'll probably find some explanation as to why they did what.

Omnipresent Lunatic

10,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Entrepreneur 150
I honestly thought this represented the book far better than the lord of the rings, especially considered how much is going into not cutting anything out of the story. The pure great dialogue and singing put into the series of the hobbit takes far more time than people really think because when they read it, I highly doubt they were singing it to themselves ( I wasn't =p ). I thought extending it past 1 movie would be weird, until i watched it and remembered just how much they have in that one book.

Shikairu Nara's Partner

Lonely Phantom

16,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
I have read the books and seen the movies and I completely understand what you are saying about separating them which is what I tend to do.

Makes things easier and as movies for the same of being movies they were all well done and wonderful.

As movies that portrayed the books .. eh not so much, but over all I was quite pleased.

Enduring Gaian

13,875 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Millionaire 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
I had fun comparing the shreds I remember from the book I read like six years ago to the movie.
I was actually surprised that I was still able to see the differences.
But yeah.
Good book. Good movie.
I might need to read the book again because the movie made me miss the happy fun elf song. I'm glad they included the dwarf song though. That was cool. I don't think "tralala down in the valley" would suit the mood they were going for in the movie.

Bunny

30,425 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
i'm surprised by the many complaints that people who read the book have abt this movie!
these people watched TLOTR-trilogy, right?
what were they expecting when they went to see The Hobbit??
i was expecting a huge disappointment, but for the first time in my life,
i finally see a movie based on a book that hasn't left anything out!
the changes in the main story were relatively small and insignificant.
the changes in the history were terrible, but with the previous trilogy in mind,
i can live with that. i loved this movie. for the first time,
i was not disappointed!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas