Welcome to Gaia! ::

Frightful Rogue

17,525 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
Morgaen Rose
Aellos
While I agree that it's bad that they abused animals.
I doubt boycotting the movie would do s**t. Not enough people would do it to make a difference.

This is the s**t where people need to separate from PETA and protest in better ways.

for one, PETA isn't the best 'unbias' group of people to get information from, two, they are legally bound by law that if they state in the credits to prove that 'Animals were not harmed during the making of this film'. They also are working with enough people that they wouldn't be able to get away with it and someone not raise a stink. This is a high end movie, think about how many people are working on the movie, if anyone found out, it'd be in the media faster than PETA could scream 'SAVE THE EMU! EAT A SALAD!!!' But basically, animal abuse is something that is not tolerated in America or by Americans, where they're filming will make no difference on this fact. Plus you have to realize that there's a whole team specifically for the ethical treatment of animals on set. Trainers, caretakers, cleaning crew, etc...it's required of any movie. Either way, I love the movie, I've been reading the Hobbit since I was 8 and the other Tolkien books just as long, I finished reading the Silmarillion at the age of 12 because I loved the lore of it so much and the concept of the history of Middle Earth, so telling me to not watch my favorite series because something realistic happened is obviously not going to work out well.
hm... me likey TETA a.k.a Team for ethical treatment of animals more than People that do the same thing but aren't very good with facts.

Adorable Pumpkin

PETA..?
The ones who say "people who watch Pokemon abuse their animals and the show promotes this?"
Along with.. "Cooking Mama, Mario, etc etc etc.."

emotion_donotwant

Feral Phantom

RandomKate
Peta as a source? Facepalm moment...

Indeed.

I was ready to claim this thread as trolling, but if she honestly believes PETA is telling the truth... AHAHAHA

Blessed Regular

Oh, good lord. emotion_donotwant

Manly Lunatic

You're an idiot...

1. The very people who did that abuse, got fired over a year ago by the Producers, and then waited until the movie was released to announce the abuse of the animals back stage. The Horse wranglers did did it are the ones who reported it, meaning it was just hypocrisy and Peter Jackson would never allow such horrible things to happen to animals. And he didn't., he got rid of the people who did it quickly... a year ago, it was just announced recently to ruin the The Hobbit's release out of spite... those wranglers are hypocrites.

Manly Lunatic

ilikeropedesu
GreenSkiesFalling
Informal Gentlemen
ilikeropedesu
They killed lots of animals guys! Don't see it! If you do then you hate horses!!!!

Uhhmm, that happens in the book, maám. And you can't really guilt people like that into not seeing it. The Hobbit is one of the ultimate classics and has a cult following; the Trilogy withi itself has a following. If you didn't like it, that's your opinion but don't try shoving this mild guilt onto others. "You hate horses!!!!!" That's ridiculous to say. In Game of Thrones a horse is beheaded at one point. I don't like that part because I love horses, but I continue to watch it still.

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.
I'm hoping this isn't an assumption that they actually killed real horses in the making of this movie. Because if so, where are you getting your information from? Are you a vegetarian? Cuz you know lots of animals get killed that way too, right? Heh stare
I'm trying to go see it tomorrow. I'd go see it tonight but I have a test in the morning.

This is my source

PETA kills lot of animals...

They "save" animals that might have a broken leg/wing/whatever by killing it.

In a relationship with Redstar Galaxy

Wistful Fairy

42,740 Points
  • Shady Hands Squad 250
  • Gaia Merch Box Achievement 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
You know, despite whatever Gaians/people/morons/etc think of PETA, one has to ask a question:

"Would you ever believe such an accusation?" cat_confused

I mean, seriously, its the Hobbit. THE HOBBIT. Like bloody 'ell you're going to believe anything that accuses the makers of *cough,cough*LotR*cough, cough* of doing anything wrong cat_rolleyes

Honestly, animal cruelty goes on in the world, and we can turn to the AHA, ASPCA, WWF, etc for examples. If PETA hadn't said anything, do you really think these groups would? I doubt it. You know why? Because the level of flak they would get would be astronomical cat_neutral But the fact that they haven't come out against PETA's accusation (well, I think the AHA sort of has, but... I'm not entirely sure cat_confused ) or that any other groups are does say something in and of itself (perhaps they don't want to know the truth?) cat_rolleyes

And, to be honest, it was a serious enough accusation that even Huffpo and Fauxnews published articles about it:

Huffpo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/19/hobbit-animal-deaths-wranglers_n_2158198.html

Fauxnews: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/19/animal-wranglers-say-hobbit-production-compandy-responsible-for-deaths-27/

Never mind the Chomskyian concern about 'bounding the debate' here (especially since both articles are from the AP cat_stare ), but you can't really just dismiss the issue solely on the basis of "LOL, PETA, THEREFORE B$" that most of you have posted User Image

Personally, I saw the film, I loved it, but I'm also noticing that this thread is full of anti-PETA morons (not to say you're a moron for being Anti-PETA, but you happen to be Anti-PETA AND a moron), because already the "Oh, you're vegetarian" comment came up on the first page of the thread User Image which leads me to believe that few, if any of you, would ever believe such an accusation even if it didn't come from PETA User Image

BTW, for those who brought it up: Killing Mama would have made an awesome addition to Cooking Mama! cat_blaugh I enjoyed both quite a lot cat_3nodding And, you know, my only beef with the Mario game is that I couldn't win cat_stare I think I chased Mario for an hour and still never caught him cat_crying Meh, Gaians have no sense of humour cat_razz Also, don't be an idiot: Anti-PETA Disinformation campaigns do exist and I bet have clouded your clear(ly-biased-)sense-of-judgment too cat_wink

Benevolent Firestarter

lol too late
like horsers are perrty

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Popular Thread 100
they made up the accusations after they were fired

it made headling news here in NZ

Man-Hungry Elocutionist

12,450 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Popular Thread 100
If you care about the welfare of horses, protest the racing industry, who kill many horses in extremely cruel manners every year.

No horses were killed in the making of this movie.

PETA is psychotic and do many things that aren't in the interests of animal welfare. You shouldn't trust what they say unless it's backed up by a trustworthy animal welfare organisation.

6,900 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Popular Thread 100
I work full time in a racing stable. our racing is different to that of the USA but I assure you ALL our horses are alive and well. and VERY looked after hey even have their own personal vet on site.
at the end of the day the horses are worth a huge amount of money and even if we didnt love them (which we do) it is not in our best interests to mistreat them or put them in danger. they are athletes and dont perform if they are not at their best. oh and contary to belief they actually enjoy their work very much

Distinct Gawker

5,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
lil_princessofdarkness11
I work full time in a racing stable. our racing is different to that of the USA but I assure you ALL our horses are alive and well. and VERY looked after hey even have their own personal vet on site.
at the end of the day the horses are worth a huge amount of money and even if we didnt love them (which we do) it is not in our best interests to mistreat them or put them in danger. they are athletes and dont perform if they are not at their best. oh and contary to belief they actually enjoy their work very much

Thank you so much for posting that. People who aren't involved in the industry/do no research on it, know little of the truth of the animals or people who work/own them.

Fashionable Noob

4,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Existential Existence
Animals die every day...where you have large groups of animals gathered for a production for over a year some of them are bound to die

Actually, alot of the horses that were used in the lord of the rings trilogy lived very well off lives.

The actor who played Aragorn took home his horse with him. Like he did with the horse from Hidalgo. He still has both of them and loves them very much. There would have been a huge stink about it if any animal abuse had been going on.

And if you want to throw a real fit, go back to some of the old western movies where a whole herd of horses if being charged off of a cliff. Yeah that's all real. No computerized technology back then. All of those poor horses went off of the cliff.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff