Welcome to Gaia! ::

Noble Traveler

I agree with a lot of what you have to say there, but I don't think that it really bothers me as much as it does you. And I still maintain that The Desolation of Smaug was a better movie than An Unexpected Journey. At least it had it's (arguably) original storyline and wasn't just The Fellowship of the Ring 2.0 Only Worse. I have a hard time liking that one very much because of how hideously disappointing it was. By the time the second one came around, the bar had already been lowered, so I could enjoy it more.

Magical Kitten

I agree with a lot of what you've said, and even have more to expand on.

Frankly, with how many big names were on this film, I truly expected WAY more. I was so disappointed after watching the film that I seriously feel like not going to the third.

The main things that I had a huge issue with were 1) shitty CGI, 2) I swear they used a damn GoPro camera during parts of the barrel scene, 3) the unnecessary love triangle that is oh so popular in hollywood right now and 4) the rushed and sloppy feeling that it had.

1) Shitty CGI
-After having seen the entire LotR series and what they are completely capable of, it was embarrassing how early 2000s video game like the CGI was in some scenes. Especially a lot of the scenes with Smaug and the gold. Those scenes particularly stood out to me because they were so horribly bad, it was like they did zero research at all on how molten gold looks, or how metal looks for that matter. Also did anyone notice that instead of having Orlando Bloom wear contacts, they digitally changed his eye color to blue, and that at TONS of parts you wouldn't be able to see the eye shine, or even the pupils would be uneven or one bigger than the other? Please tell me I'm not the only one who caught that!

2) Did they seriously use a GoPro?! emotion_eyebrow
-During the barrel scenes, every now and then it would jump to show you a dwarf view of what it would be like going through the river. In my opinion that was completely unnecessary, and would have been better off left in the deleted scenes section. But what made it worse was how the movie went from being pristine and clear, to suddenly grainy, choppy, and like a GoPro was used.

Now I say GoPro strictly because I've worked with them before and know what the video quality looks like (and in those scenes, it even seemed a bit worse than what you can expect from a GoPro) what was shown in theaters.

3) Is it really so hard to insert a female character without making her role solely based on romance?
-When Tauriel was introduced, she was ******** awesome. A badass captain of the guard, killing spiders left and right! Then enter Kili and Legolas, and it was all down hill from there! emotion_facepalm If they had just kept her as a badass who encouraged Legolas to help the dwarves with their quest because eventually s**t would get bad in Mirkwood if they didn't help anyone at all, I would have been totally fine with her character. BUT NO!!! The writers had to go in and do the typical hollywood thing where a chick can't be added to the movie unless she's someones love interest and helps move the dudes story line along. Omg just gag me with a spoon with how cliche it is. emotion_puke
Also what the hell was up with her hair? Now I've never read the books, I don't know anything about what Tolkien may have meant for his elven characters (because I know an earlier post mentioned something about elves and their hair), but just from a characters developmental stand point, the hair was ridiculous. She is supposedly captain of the guard and yet has hair that goes down past her a**....for someone who is supposed to be combat ready at all times, the hair at that length is just impractical.

4) Even though it was 3 ******** hours long, it didn't seem like time was taken with the movie
- The characters, the costumes, settings, some of the acting, and the CGI looked like it was all rushed just so the company could pop it out and be able to make money off of it. I really felt like if just a little extra time had been taken in the production a much better resulting movie would have come from it. And maybe a more refined version could have been released, instead of this which rushed through everything without very much care.

Overall, it seems to me that they're trying to cash in while they still can. They're taking short cuts, cutting corners, adding in things that should never have been there in the first place, just to make a movie that will make a big profit. I'm also wondering why they even got Benedict Cumberbatch to voice Smaug, seeing as so much special effects is used on his voice that he just sounds like a more menacing version of Tree Beard. I seriously feel like they were trying to cash in on the Martin Freeman/Benedict Cumberbatch, Sherlock fandom with that choice. You can't here any bit of his voice in the movie that I had a hard time believing that it was even him! emotion_0A0

Just overall, bad, I can't believe they actually made this movie. I'm so glad I had a military discount and only paid $7 instead of $13 to see this movie. emotion_8c

END RANT

Shy Explorer

Born Backwards
I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
That bloody love triangle, ugh emotion_puke
Wished the Beorn & Mirkwood scenes were longer - what happened to having to go to Beorn's house in pairs & Bombur falling asleep in the river?
I liked what they did with Smaug.

I saw a photo or poster in the theatres that were mentioning about the Hobbit: DoS movie coming up and the dwarves were carrying Bombur who was asleep. In one of the early commercials we even saw someone quickly falling into the black river. I think it will be a deleted scene. The deleted scenes from the first movie, many were actually quite relevant I find.

Shy Explorer

Kitty Amazing

I noticed that Legolas' eyes looked eerily weird this time around for some reason, but I figured the CGI just wasn't at its top quality at that moment. I haven't noticed anything else about his eyes though. xD

I'm not sure if this specifically was mentioned earlier, but I found a cool essay about elves based on citations from Tolkein's books. It said that the longer and elf's hair, the more attractive they are in the eyes of other elves. I don't know if the hair length was due to this or just a chance thing, but it might be an explanation. surprised Just throwing it out there. xD

Newbie Pumpkin

we described the exact same scenes in are reviews as being bad...... sort of proving they where bad logical scenes
User Image User Image

Hungry Immortal

38,775 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cookie Collector 400
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
Finally, someone who saw the Desolation for what it really is. I was heavily disappointed the movie, but managed to enjoy the part of Smaug where he acted... well, like Smaug did in the book, haha.

The thing is, it always looked as if every scene started off just well and fine, and then it would only go downhill. From the beginning to the end. The completely forced and unnecesary romance... too much attention on characters that aren't supposed to even be there, and don't even get me started on some of the dwarves NOT going to the mountain.

"Oh yes, we travelled for days and months to reach the goal of our lives and our dream but we'll just sit here and take care of our unnecessarily sick buddy so we can allow him to see his dumbass stuttery elf crush one more time."

SJHGWDKASCOAI

Ugh.
Elena Kiara Again

I noticed that Legolas' eyes looked eerily weird this time around for some reason, but I figured the CGI just wasn't at its top quality at that moment. I haven't noticed anything else about his eyes though. xD

I'm not sure if this specifically was mentioned earlier, but I found a cool essay about elves based on citations from Tolkein's books. It said that the longer and elf's hair, the more attractive they are in the eyes of other elves. I don't know if the hair length was due to this or just a chance thing, but it might be an explanation. surprised Just throwing it out there. xD
My friend was also complaining about Legolas' eyes! I didn't even notice while watching the movie. But yeah, they were really dark in LotR, almost a black. Of course in some scenes they were a little more obviously blue, but not to the extent they were in The Hobbit. Weird thing to add in.
Klabautermann
Finally, someone who saw the Desolation for what it really is. I was heavily disappointed the movie, but managed to enjoy the part of Smaug where he acted... well, like Smaug did in the book, haha.

The thing is, it always looked as if every scene started off just well and fine, and then it would only go downhill. From the beginning to the end. The completely forced and unnecesary romance... too much attention on characters that aren't supposed to even be there, and don't even get me started on some of the dwarves NOT going to the mountain.

"Oh yes, we travelled for days and months to reach the goal of our lives and our dream but we'll just sit here and take care of our unnecessarily sick buddy so we can allow him to see his dumbass stuttery elf crush one more time."

SJHGWDKASCOAI

Ugh.
That kind of happens in the book to be fair though xD Though they didn't stay in Lake Town.
They just sent Bilbo into the mountain.
What I DIDNT like was that they made all those dwarves stay behind just so that Tauriel could show up and heal Kili with glowy sexual elf magic.
For some reason that didn't bug me so much in LotR, but in The Hobbit that was just a big no. Probably because it was so heavily romance based. (The glowing)
Ittarius
I agree with a lot of what you have to say there, but I don't think that it really bothers me as much as it does you. And I still maintain that The Desolation of Smaug was a better movie than An Unexpected Journey. At least it had it's (arguably) original storyline and wasn't just The Fellowship of the Ring 2.0 Only Worse. I have a hard time liking that one very much because of how hideously disappointing it was. By the time the second one came around, the bar had already been lowered, so I could enjoy it more.
I didn't mind An Unexpected Journey as much! Probably because it didn't have like 3? 4? Unnecessary BS Sub-plots. At least the Pale-Orc arc was actually from Tolkien's unfinished stories. It was a little boring, but I think they actually tried to make DoS more of LotR 2.0.
They added in a bunch of lore from the original trilogy that didn't add up with lore from The Hobbit and that bugged the s**t out of me. (Not to mention trying to bring back Legolas' badassery from LotR)
But yeah, that's mostly because of the book.

High-functioning Hoarder

I actually enjoyed it more than the first .... which is really weird....
[ Glass_wings ]
I actually enjoyed it more than the first .... which is really weird....
I think the scenes they did good in the 2nd movie were wayyyyyyy better than anything the first movie did.
Like the barrel scene with Bombur, the Spiders, and the first scenes with Smaug
emotion_kirakira

Hungry Immortal

38,775 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cookie Collector 400
satan pizza
Klabautermann

SJHGWDKASCOAI

Ugh.
That kind of happens in the book to be fair though xD Though they didn't stay in Lake Town.
What I DIDNT like was that they made all those dwarves stay behind just so that Tauriel could show up and heal Kili with glowy sexual elf magic.
For some reason that didn't bug me so much in LotR, but in The Hobbit that was just a big no. Probably because it was so heavily romance based. (The glowing)

WHat does? O,o I don't know what you're refering to, I meant the fact some of them stayed in the Lake Town just for the purpose of Kili and Tauriel meeting. That romance was so damn forced, UGH. xD I really thought she would be an awesome badass character and no.. THAT. x|
Klabautermann
satan pizza
Klabautermann

SJHGWDKASCOAI

Ugh.

WHat does? O,o I don't know what you're refering to, I meant the fact some of them stayed in the Lake Town just for the purpose of Kili and Tauriel meeting. That romance was so damn forced, UGH. xD I really thought she would be an awesome badass character and no.. THAT. x|
It was in response to the, "Oh yes, we traveled for days and months to reach the goal of our lives and our dream but we'll just sit here," comment.
In the book they don't even enter the mountain they're just like,
"BURGLAR!!!
........ GOOD LUCK!"
And send Bilbo in alone. They don't go after him at all. lol

So them staying in Lake Town wasn't TOO far off the mark, but yeah just the fact that it was solely because of Tauriel was super disappointing. I wanted her to be a cool character, too!

Sahri's Partner

Dapper Mage

reokoe

On Tauriel...

And don't EVEN get me started on her hair.
The race of elves that had red hair were, by the third age, EXTINCT. AND, her hair was FAR too long. Length of hair in Elven culture is a type of status symbol. The lady Galadriel was supposed to have the longest, fairest hair of all elves, because she herself was among the wisest and oldest still alive by the time of the events of the Hobbit.

I don't rule out the possibility that other elves (particularly Silvan elves) might have had red hair, especially if elves follow anything like human genetic rules - it would be rare but would still occur. I find it unlikely that only Mahtan, his daughter Nerdanel, and a few of his grandsons (Maedhros, Amrod, and Amras) had auburn hair out of all the elves. I know they're the only "known" ones and have no living descendants, but still.

I'm not asking because I doubt you, but do you have a point of reference as to length of hair being a status symbol? It's been quite a while since I've read any of the background texts, and I'd love to read more about elven culture. If you have a link or could tell me which book it's in I would greatly appreciate it.

reokoe
I will say, however, that if Gandalf has to call the Eagles, again, I'll be furious.
We get it, Jackson.
They're neat. They're huge. They're one of Gandalf's allies (sort of...)... don't ruin it.

I take it you mean to rescue him from Dol Guldur? That would be a let down. I'm hoping that Galadriel and possibly some others from the White Council will show up to rescue him (I'm assuming that Radagast will fulfill his role as messenger). The eagles had definitely better show up where they're supposed to in the story, though!

Hunaja-Mesi

if they thought they'd appease the feminists by adding Tauriel,
then why the heck did they mess it up with a love-story?
this is just basically saying that you can't have a woman along without love-stories.

Kitty Amazing

3) Is it really so hard to insert a female character without making her role solely based on romance?
-When Tauriel was introduced, she was ******** awesome. A badass captain of the guard, killing spiders left and right! Then enter Kili and Legolas, and it was all down hill from there! emotion_facepalm If they had just kept her as a badass who encouraged Legolas to help the dwarves with their quest because eventually s**t would get bad in Mirkwood if they didn't help anyone at all, I would have been totally fine with her character. BUT NO!!! The writers had to go in and do the typical hollywood thing where a chick can't be added to the movie unless she's someones love interest and helps move the dudes story line along. Omg just gag me with a spoon with how cliche it is. emotion_puke

My friend who watched the movie with me had the exact same reaction. We could see the point of adding in a female character in a story with no females, and it was nice to make her awesome, but why did she have to be a love interest? Females can fill other roles.

That said, I can definitely see her role from a commercial standpoint. People like my mother, who haven't read Tolkien and aren't even all that into fantasy in general, fell in love with the LOTR movies because of the romance between Aragorn and Arwen. I get where they want to capitalize on this audience. It could have been done...better, perhaps.

All in all, though, so long as I took the movie for what it was, I enjoyed it.

Hungry Immortal

38,775 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cookie Collector 400
satan pizza
Klabautermann
satan pizza
Klabautermann

SJHGWDKASCOAI

Ugh.

It was in response to the, "Oh yes, we traveled for days and months to reach the goal of our lives and our dream but we'll just sit here," comment.
In the book they don't even enter the mountain they're just like,
"BURGLAR!!!
........ GOOD LUCK!"
And send Bilbo in alone. They don't go after him at all. lol

So them staying in Lake Town wasn't TOO far off the mark, but yeah just the fact that it was solely because of Tauriel was super disappointing. I wanted her to be a cool character, too!

Oh, that! xD I didn't know what you were referring to, for a moment I already thought I forgot the plot, lol. xD But yeah. Come to think of it, in the book, the dwarves were kind of a douchebag. xD That's one of the things I like in the movies, they seem less like an entity and more like a ragtag group of dwarven pride. smile )

I guess we can give Tauriel credit for the spider scene though. She STARTED with badassness. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff