Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mora Starseed's Husband

Intellectual Combatant

11,225 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Mark Twain 100
Doing a bit of research, I found out that Richard Armitage (Thorin) commented about this:
Q&A with Richard Armitage
Q: Is there any material that has been cut from either of the first two films—possibly restored or to be restored in an extended cut—that you think is vital to your character that you hope audiences would get to see?
RA:"Yes, and I’m not sure if it won’t end up in the third film so I won’t talk about it in too much detail. But Thrain, who is Thorin’s father, there’s a big sequence of Gandalf encountering Thrain, and a flashback to when Thorin and Thrain were fighting side by side on the battlefield and Thrain is lost, which is why Thorin goes out on the quest in the first place. So that may make it into an extended edition, but it also may appear somewhere in Movie Three."
The other day, while flipping through the Art Book for the movie, I came upon some designs for an old, sucked-up version of Thrain in the section pertaining to Dol Guldur, which may indicate that this scene Armitage was talking about would have taken place there. Thoughts?

Friendly Werewolf

8,850 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Befriended 100
I think it is an important segment of the movie to look out for. I mean, in the book, Gandalf knew Dol Guldur was not abandoned as he went inside and found Thrain before he died and that is how he got the key. In the movies, Gandalf said Thrain gave it to him for safekeeping, possibly in the discussion they had before Thrain disappeared (that Thorin mentions in the beginning of the second movie). I personally want to see what happens with that and how they close that loose end.

Witty Shapeshifter

14,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Threadmaster 200

There was this, and a scene after the door to Erebor didn't open at sunset that Richard talked about, and both NEED to be shown.

The scene involving Thrain is pretty important to the story, and about Thorin's fears and doubts about himself, and just to see Thrain and Thorin during the battle of Azulnabar (I assume) would be amazing.

And the scene involving the door to Erebor, Richard said that it was really an all time low for Thorin, though I can't find the exact interview, but that scene was heart wrenching enough (the way Thorin can only say "That's what it says" just... ugh. emotion_0A0 ), but it felt somewhat oh, they gave up, Bilbo saves the day Thorin's back let's go SMAUG! It needed a little bit more to it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff