Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Genius

shortdancingnae
[Gene Starwind]
Apparently I fail at making this discussion as clear as I'd like it to be. sad

What I'm trying to say here is...it's not that you act any differently online..it's that people percieve you differently. You are who you are...no matter what form you take...you don't change. Unless you're a skilled actor with incredible discipline you're always going to stay you over a prolonged period of time. No one can stay "in character" forever unless they take that character into themselves and then at that point, it's now still them.

Whereas, there is a ton of room for error based on an observors point of view when trying to pass judgement on someone online.

I get what you're trying to say. When I converse with someone face to face I feel like I really get the core part of what they are saying and how they are feeling at the time. I interpret their facial expressions, their tone of voice, their body language, and all sorts of things along with their words to get the meaning of what they are saying.

Online there are only the words that are typed in text. It's a lot harder for me to draw conclusions from text and express myself clearly in writing. I always feel like I might know what someone else is saying, but I am never truly convinced I got their meaning. I can interpret text in different ways. I wonder if remarks are sarcasticly, seriously, jokingly and "said". The possibilities are endless because not only do you not know the person, but you don't know what sort of mood they are in or anything else about their situation.

Does that make any sense?
That's where I was trying to go with this..yes.

But how do you think emoticons/smileys effect the whole lack of being able to read someone's facial expression/tone of voice/body language?

Hallowed Wench

[Gene Starwind]
Umbral_Necropolitan
My overall tolerance towards others tend to be higher online than in real life. I don't know why but I am a bit "nicer" online than in RL.
With the exception of mine looking cooler...you've copied my avatar. surprised

Nice try dude, I have been sporting these duds except for the scarf for along time... You were still running around in your speedo when I started wearing this.

Hell I have 3 avi art pics made by people with my avi in this outfit.

Interesting Genius

traffica
and how would you know

when someones being themself or not?

you wouldnt.
pirate
Naturally you wouldn't. But, given the whole of society to compare against you tend to be able to pick out people who are trying to hard to be different online..and get a pretty good idea of what things a person would or wouldn't say in person due to just being so completely absurd.

Interesting Genius

Umbral_Necropolitan
[Gene Starwind]
Umbral_Necropolitan
My overall tolerance towards others tend to be higher online than in real life. I don't know why but I am a bit "nicer" online than in RL.

Nice try dude, I have been sporting these duds except for the scarf for along time... You were still running around in your speedo when I started wearing this.

Yeah.but I mean without the scarf...the outfit looks like crap XD

But enough off-topicness surprised

Obsessive Accumulator

23,275 Points
  • Lovingly Advice 25
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Millionaire 200
In the real life I'm:
arrow shy
arrow impatient
arrow strange
arrow crazy

Here:
arrow not shy
arrow patient (specially with newbies)
arrow strange
arrow CRAZY!!!!!!!

Hallowed Wench

[Gene Starwind]
Umbral_Necropolitan
[Gene Starwind]
Umbral_Necropolitan

Yeah.but I mean without the scarf...the outfit looks like crap XD

But enough off-topicness surprised

Thanks alot, copycat. talk2hand
I'm a lot more shy IRL.
D:

And much less flirtatious.
I act like who I am no matter where I am. Why give off something other than who you are?
People say I'm the same online and offline...

Those that know me from both mediums...
...and we painted
I act like who I am no matter where I am. Why give off something other than who you are?

Some people have yet to find who they really are.
[Gene Starwind]
shortdancingnae
[Gene Starwind]
Apparently I fail at making this discussion as clear as I'd like it to be. sad

What I'm trying to say here is...it's not that you act any differently online..it's that people percieve you differently. You are who you are...no matter what form you take...you don't change. Unless you're a skilled actor with incredible discipline you're always going to stay you over a prolonged period of time. No one can stay "in character" forever unless they take that character into themselves and then at that point, it's now still them.

Whereas, there is a ton of room for error based on an observors point of view when trying to pass judgement on someone online.

I get what you're trying to say. When I converse with someone face to face I feel like I really get the core part of what they are saying and how they are feeling at the time. I interpret their facial expressions, their tone of voice, their body language, and all sorts of things along with their words to get the meaning of what they are saying.

Online there are only the words that are typed in text. It's a lot harder for me to draw conclusions from text and express myself clearly in writing. I always feel like I might know what someone else is saying, but I am never truly convinced I got their meaning. I can interpret text in different ways. I wonder if remarks are sarcasticly, seriously, jokingly and "said". The possibilities are endless because not only do you not know the person, but you don't know what sort of mood they are in or anything else about their situation.

Does that make any sense?
That's where I was trying to go with this..yes.

But how do you think emoticons/smileys effect the whole lack of being able to read someone's facial expression/tone of voice/body language?

They help some, but I don't think they make a whole lot of a difference. You can pick which emoticon you want to put on a post. It narrows the possibilites of what someone may be saying, but emoticons can be taken different ways too. The wink is a prime example of this.
(I hate the wink.)
Unless you're someone who's skilled at keeping a perfectly blank countenance all of the time you can't control the overall look you have when you speak.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff