Welcome to Gaia! ::

US vs. China vs Japan Who will be the world leader in 20 yrs?

China 0.23529411764706 23.5% [ 60 ]
US 0.27058823529412 27.1% [ 69 ]
Japan 0.29411764705882 29.4% [ 75 ]
Other, (and not just because you are from another country) 0.2 20.0% [ 51 ]
Total Votes:[ 255 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

I Often wonder which country is going to be the economic superpower in the next 20 years. Will it be China, The US, or Japan? Looking at all of their economies, Japan is the most frail, and most reliant on one industry (electronics/auto), China is still learning how to produce complex goods, but its standards of living are so low I fear that a sharp rise in Economy will bring a lot of anger from the public as to why their pay/ standard of living is so low. the US has branched out many of its low level jobs (not good for the little man) and is becoming more and more reliant on a college education which really isn't educating anyone, and if that were not bad enough our economy is almost completely based on tertiary consumption (we don't really produce anything, all we do is service).

So in 20 years who will be the next world leader?

Could it be...cough... THE NETHERLANDS... cough.
........japan dosent have a problem with the US. and a war with china would be a war of attrition. so its pointless
Madagascar xd
It would be much more than a war of attrition, I'm afraid. And, even if it were, they would eventually win. Their population is MUCH higher than ours... at least, I believe it is.

Plus, they seem to have many more loyal people than we do.

>.>; All I seem to hear is how badly the country is run.

Yeah... Maybe Japan IS going to rule the world one day.
The world relies of itself, as it's needs become more complex, no one country can meet all of them.

They should all maintain relative wealth for their size. Since they all need eachother, none can really be classed as the super power.
of_broken_horizons
It would be much more than a war of attrition, I'm afraid. And, even if it were, they would eventually win. Their population is MUCH higher than ours... at least, I believe it is.

u know they said the same thing about japan in WWII, but we change that, didnt we
How come no one ever mentions European countries anymore when it comes to competion. It's always US vs. China or US vs. Japan or some other crazy US vs. Asians.
of_broken_horizons

Japan's country size limits their potential (population, dependancy for outside resources etc).

A war between the USA and China is almost impossible. Both have nuclear weapons capable of being launched to inter-continental distances (and anyways, using WMD will cause other political implications), neither will engage in infantry combat as seen recently in Iraq (and from where I'm standing, that war is hardle over). The only type of war that would occur would be something similar to the Cold War.
foxpaws
How come no one ever mentions European countries anymore when it comes to competion. It's always US vs. China or US vs. Japan or some other crazy US vs. Asians.
We are divided and without empires anymore. If in the distant future, the United States of Europe happen... as it stands now we'd be the richest and most powerful nation on earth.
foxpaws
because the UK is a bunch of p***y-fists who rather bullshit about war rather then take action. when it comes to the real thing yea, its good, but this is just a all out battle, so no one would believe the UK gettin in one
foxpaws

Think about it yourself.

I would include Russia in the debate but I think it'll take more than 20 years for them to recover from their government shifts (capitalist to communist and back to capitalist... very expensive to do that you know!). I also think China would need a bit more time as well.
Yellow-M
foxpaws
We are divided and without empires anymore. If in the distant future, the United States of Europe happen... as it stands now we'd be the richest and most powerful nation on earth.

Canada would sooner join the USA than for the USE to form. No, make that Cuba xd
Unless a serious stock market crash happens or full scale war which includes attacks on the US happens, the the US will be the economic leader. I mean, if we have KFC's, McDonalds and Coca Cola all around the world, you know whos gonna win.
Contagious Cure
Yellow-M
foxpaws

Canada would sooner join the USA than for the USE to form. No, make that Cuba xd
Well... it would happen for the most part with time I should think. England however... I think we would rather die.
Im sorry to not have mentioned EU in the debate, but for good reason there Governments are either too weak at this point to industrialize quick enough, or their govs are too leniant, and don't push enough for more productivity. As for Neun (or whatever the kid who posted after me was) you are incorrect in assuming japan won't become the superpower, when their society becomes less community based it will easily rival the US as it did in the 80 not the 50's as you said, and also Russia is not a superpower because its people will not tolerate another dictatorship and that is the only thing that could keep a country so internally torn apart together. also i never said anything about war, so you missunderstood, all i said is a country with 1.1 billion people where 25% feel financiallly deprived isnt good, it could start a terrible economic downturn (as it did in russia).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff