Welcome to Gaia! ::

La Li Lu Le Lo
Bonus!Point
La Li Lu Le Lo
Japanese culture...

You know, maybe if they weren't so obsessed with "Community", they wouldn't have the highest suicide rate in the world.

That's a completely different topic altogether.

Suicide is high in Japan because of it's history. And, ironically, suicide is high in Japan because of their strong sense of community.

After all, a samurai would commit seppuku for his master because it was his master's wish, and because it would be best for his clan if he was ordered to do so. A ronin might commit seppuku because they were ashamed of being "masterless" samurai - or a person who did not have a clan to belong to.

Suicide in Japan is high now because of this historical background. Shame might drive people to kill themselves. Hell, even teenagers who have failed their college entrance exams are called ronin.

So, what you're saying is, suicide is essentially Japanese Community Service.

You really did nothing to refute the statement. You just seem to be trying to say that Japanese suicide is... Okay.

I never said such a thing. I said it's a part of their culture and history.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

La Li Lu Le Lo
Bonus!Point
La Li Lu Le Lo
Japanese culture...

You know, maybe if they weren't so obsessed with "Community", they wouldn't have the highest suicide rate in the world.

Suicide is high in Japan because of it's history. And, ironically, suicide is high in Japan because of their strong sense of community.

After all, a samurai would commit seppuku for his master because it was his master's wish, and because it would be best for his clan if he was ordered to do so. A ronin might commit seppuku because they were ashamed of being "masterless" samurai - or a person who did not have a clan to belong to.

Suicide in Japan is high now because of this historical background. Shame might drive people to kill themselves. Hell, even teenagers who have failed their college entrance exams are called ronin.

You really did nothing to refute the statement. You just seem to be trying to say that Japanese suicide is... Okay.
In the Japanese culture it is okay to commit suicide in a way. Suicide is preferable to dishonoring one's family.

Eloquent Lunatic

7,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Bonus!Point

But then I remembered that the Japanese lack individuality anyway

I beg to differ. rofl
DuoTH
They used to allow foreigners into hotsprings, but because of ignorance toward how to behave in them, and general rude behavior on the half of some Russain sailors, they are now listed as Japanese only.

Wait... buhhh? I've gone to probably about 10-15 different hot springs. And NEVER had a problem, never seen a sign that said "Japanese Only" or anything like that.

Besides... lack of individual identity and unit-based cultural focus are both myths.
Sex with your dog
They wouldn't kill themselves because their master would tell them to. It was because they felt like they had brought a bad name to their master. They let themselves down and the shame that came with it was too much to bare. A samurai was expected to know when to commit suicide with out their master telling them when to. In Japan suicide is looked on as any other death it's no different from being hit by a car. I think that the suicide rates are so high because children are expected to fit in with everybody if they can't there's no back up group for them to hang out with. They're isolated. Another thing is that there is a lot of pressure on the kids to conform and do well in school.

I don't think so. According to historical facts, while samurai have also commited seppuku without their masters telling them to do so, there have also been many masters that have asked samurai to do so.

That's an interesting way to look at suicide in Japan, though. I never thought of it that way.
mitsuki_shi
Bonus!Point

But then I remembered that the Japanese lack individuality anyway

I beg to differ. rofl

Why would you? Because a few teenagers in Shinjuku and Harajuku have been influenced by the West?

Tipsy Sex Symbol

linlinchan
DuoTH
They used to allow foreigners into hotsprings, but because of ignorance toward how to behave in them, and general rude behavior on the half of some Russain sailors, they are now listed as Japanese only.

Wait... buhhh? I've gone to probably about 10-15 different hot springs. And NEVER had a problem, never seen a sign that said "Japanese Only" or anything like that.

Besides... lack of individual identity and unit-based cultural focus are both myths.
In recent years there has been some controversy over the banning of foreigners (or people who appear non-Japanese) from entering onsens because of stereotypes that they are unclean, rowdy and/or more prone to criminal activities. But such instances are usually isolated and have decreased even more since this issue caught the attention of the mass media, largely because many onsen operators who practised such policies didn't want such negative press impacting their business.
Source: Wikipedia entry on Onsen.
linlinchan
DuoTH

Oh, really? Can you show me your sources?

For I have a book by Dr. Reischauer, notes from Theodore Morse, and documentaries by PBS and other organizations saying otherwise.

Eloquent Lunatic

7,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
DuoTH
linlinchan
DuoTH

In recent years there has been some controversy over the banning of foreigners (or people who appear non-Japanese) from entering onsens because of stereotypes that they are unclean, rowdy and/or more prone to criminal activities. But such instances are usually isolated and have decreased even more since this issue caught the attention of the mass media, largely because many onsen operators who practised such policies didn't want such negative press impacting their business.
Source: Wikipedia entry on Onsen.

I may be stereotyping, which I hate to do, but it's usually the marines or miliatry personel stationed in Japan that gives most foreigners a bad name. They are disliked, and more than once there has been issues with them, and as most people do, they see one person of a certain race do something bad and it gives the whole race a bad name.
Bonus!Point
La Li Lu Le Lo
Bonus!Point
La Li Lu Le Lo
Japanese culture...

I never said such a thing. I said it's a part of their culture and history.

Right. But, with the way you described it, it seems that to the Japanese, suicide is an action that benefits the whole. Hence, Japanese community service.

Either way, it being "Part of their culture and history" doesn't make that nasty little fact alright, does it?

Quote:
In the Japanese culture it is okay to commit suicide in a way. Suicide is preferable to dishonoring one's family.

And surely you can see how mind-bendingly retarded that is, right?
DuoTH
This is true.

Though there's been some speculation towards whether teenage suicide over college entrance exams are well-founded. Apparently, while high school is particularly harsh, college - except for a few like Tokyo University - is generally laid back and a waste of time.

I wouldn't know, for I haven't ever attended a Japanese college, but...

Eloquent Lunatic

7,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Bonus!Point
linlinchan
DuoTH

Oh, really? Can you show me your sources?

For I have a book by Dr. Reischauer, notes from Theodore Morse, and documentaries by PBS and other organizations saying otherwise.

I could say the same stuff about American culture, and cite numbers of books and programs on American Culture, yet that would not be exactly right. Not because you have documentaries and books does it make everything you read true.

Not everyone is the same, and not every Japanese lacks a sense of individual identity. That's like saying all Americans love baseball and are obese.

Dangerous Flatterer

7,950 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
Well, it's weird. My family is a little bit like that. My grandmother believes that our family has a "face" to present to society, and a "face" for at home. You pretty much act one way in public, not discussing problems or making uncomfortable situations, and you act another way at home with family. She's from Europe, though, but it's kind of a similar thing.
La Li Lu Le Lo
Right. But, with the way you described it, it seems that to the Japanese, suicide is an action that benefits the whole. Hence, Japanese community service.

Either way, it being "Part of their culture and history" doesn't make that nasty little fact alright, does it?

You believe this, obviously, because you weren't raised in their culture or society. To them, suicide does benefit the whole. The Japanese are completely selfless, and would prefer to sacrifice themselves rather than bring down their community or family with them.

I wouldn't call it a "nasty little fact." In fact, part of me finds it noble and honorable - almost romantic.
mitsuki_shi

I could say the same stuff about American culture, and cite numbers of books and programs on American Culture, yet that would not be exactly right. Not because you have documentaries and books does it make everything you read true.

Not everyone is the same, and not every Japanese lacks a sense of individual identity. That's like saying all Americans love baseball and are obese.

Darling, it's a given that whenever one speaks of a society, they are generalizing. There's no need to state the obvious.

And I have a number of very reliable sources, all saying the same thing. I have the feeling that you've never so much as researched the topic. Instead of trying to argue when you probably don't fully understand, why don't you try to take this as an opportunity to learn and understand?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff