Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
Most stories that are about the struggle of good vs. evil are reflections of the greatest good versus evil story: The Bible. (Now, I'm not Christian and this really has nothing to do with religion, or at least what you believe in. This is objective. If you don't believe in the Bible, think of it as a story.)

Almost every good vs. evil story, you can see the reflection: The Lord of the Rings, the Dragonlance Chronicles, and so forth.

But none come so close to The Bible as C.S. Lewis's 'The Chronicles of Narnia'.

In the first book, the Lion Aslan creates Narnia. First the sun and stars, then the trees and then the animals. He places two humans in charge of all the land.

In the second book, the White Witch kills Aslan, but he returns from the dead.

Through out the books, Aslan makes comments such as "You must learn to know me by that name." One gathers that C.S. Lewis is saying that Aslan is God himself. In 'The Last Battle' it sure seems that way when he becomes 'something so great and so beautiful'.

Now, here's my 'discussion'.

Do you have to believe in the background for a story, in this case The Bible, to enjoy it? When something has religious over-tones can you still enjoy it without believing in the religion? Do you think that religion should be kept out of stories and music or do you think it makes it have more meaning, even if you don't believe?

I'm not a Christian but I can't imagine those books being half as beautiful as they are without the religious over-tones.
No, you don't have to believe in the background of the story to enjoy it.
For example; I ADORE Harry Potter. It's one of my favorite series! But do I believe in witchcraft and the practice of sorcery? Absolutely not.
I also love the book Inkheart, but I do not believe that storybook characters can jump out of books and come to life. Although, that would be hella cool...>_>
Books like that bore me. ;_____;
YAR I BE A PIRATE pirate
I don't believe you have to believe in the background of the story.
Though at times it might cause the story to have higher meaning for you.
But that's just assumptions.
Religion is hard to keep "out of sight" because everyone is ranting and raving about their own.
I do beleive it gives higher meaning even if one doesn't believe.
I love Jesus Walks by Kanye West and I'm anything but christain.
I thought god was a sheep =(
You just ruined Narnia for me...

I wasn't going to watch it, but still sad

Devoted Prophet

7,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
Irish Black Rosie
I don't believe you have to believe in the background of the story.
Though at times it might cause the story to have higher meaning for you.
But that's just assumptions.
Religion is hard to keep "out of sight" because everyone is ranting and raving about their own.
I do beleive it gives higher meaning even if one doesn't believe.
I love Jesus Walks by Kanye West and I'm anything but christain.

That's kind of how I feel. It would be a shame for them to take books like 'The Chornicles of Narnia' out of public school libraries, just because of religious over-tones. They're well written, wonderful books.

Religion has become such a touchy subject these days that nothing that has anything religious in it is innocent anymore.
I don't mind when stories have a
lil religious background story. Makes things seem...
I dunno. Magical and stuff. I can't think of the word.
<3

User Image
uh. you read the book.
your not a Christian.
you enjoyed it.
there is your answer.
I wanna see that narnia movie... 3nodding
I don't really have to know the background. Most of the time when people look in teh background of something, its totally different, peopel think a different way. and people are then ecused of something.
EX: Harry Potter. The books are great and all, but teh moment people start going "OMG!!1!Witchcraft! Burn the books! EVILL!!!11!!" then the fun of the imangenation is sucked out, and no one can enjoy the books without someone thinking it's the devil. Argh, people annoy me. It's funny how they think witchcraft is evil also, which is NOT evil. Silly stupid people. gonk
So, no background check is needed, in my opinion.

invasora's Fav

Monster Streaker

The religious overtones in The Chronicles were a bit much for me, considering all the mythology that's in it too. They're still enjoyable but some of that stuff really doesn't mix well.
RayraycoolJ
You just ruined Narnia for me...

I wasn't going to watch it, but still sad
It's gonna be a movie?

Rai_Ryu's Wife

Green_Ranger
YAR I BE A PIRATE pirate
no, you be a spammer...

I don't beleive in the background of the bible and it's kinda intereating...kinda

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff