Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Bunny

if u wanna talk about how 'over' the 90s are make robert crumb stop
Has he not died yet?
i had to google who this unrelevant ******** is and found out exactly what i already knew

High-functioning Bunny

Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

pretty sure he's still drawing comics. a year ago or something i tabled at a con in philly and the dude next to us was selling a magazine that featured his work every month or w/e.

his work still looks dated as ********

High-functioning Bunny

bourdin
i had to google who this unrelevant ******** is and found out exactly what i already knew

woo hoo!!!
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

pretty sure he's still drawing comics. a year ago or something i tabled at a con in philly and the dude next to us was selling a magazine that featured his work every month or w/e.

his work still looks dated as ******** it's gross and unimaginative and shallow and I can't even imagine what a Crumb fan looks like.

High-functioning Bunny

Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

his work still looks dated as ******** it's gross and unimaginative and shallow and I can't even imagine what a Crumb fan looks like.

mostly dirty rich hipster bros and old skeezy dudes

also people who draw alt comics since he kinda helped create the whole alt comics scene. but just cus something is culturally significant dont make it good
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

also people who draw alt comics since he kinda helped create the whole alt comics scene. but just cus something is culturally significant dont make it good
I'm always reluctant to give individuals credit for creating alt media scenes. Aside from the creation of alt/underground scenes being inevitable, it tends to just centralize the culture, which is inherently bad for the culture.

High-functioning Bunny

Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

I'm always reluctant to give individuals credit for creating alt media scenes. Aside from the creation of alt/underground scenes being inevitable, it tends to just centralize the culture, which is inherently bad for the culture.

ehhh i dunno. i think most underground scenes in reference to art are generally pretty broad and the platform created for them are acknowledged but don't necessarily hold up the standard. alt comics is an extremely broad thing that ranges from that type of garbage to children's stuff. and a lot of people who search for that kind of stuff have little to no knowledge of the roots of it all and they're just looking for an alternative to superhero comics or w/e

that could also just be me speaking from the inside of that culture idk

like a lot of ppl associate guro with alt manga but thats really off base and only a small fraction of what goes on. some artists just gain more notoriety for w/e reasons
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Has he not died yet?

ehhh i dunno. i think most underground scenes in reference to art are generally pretty broad and the platform created for them are acknowledged but don't necessarily hold up the standard. alt comics is an extremely broad thing that ranges from that type of garbage to children's stuff. and a lot of people who search for that kind of stuff have little to no knowledge of the roots of it all and they're just looking for an alternative to superhero comics or w/e

like a lot of ppl associate guro with alt manga but thats really off base and only a small fraction of what goes on. some artists just gain more notoriety for w/e reasons

Then how can someone be credited with creating a scene if there is no actual plotted scene?

High-functioning Bunny

Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Yeah it's gross and unimaginative and shallow and I can't even imagine what a Crumb fan looks like.

Then how can someone be credited with creating a scene if there is no actual plotted scene?

there is a plotted scene its just super broad and the seed that crumb planted was the idea of but the idea that comics didn't have to be just about superheroes and they didn't just have to be aimed at children. its just anything that might be considered unorthodox to mainstream audiences.

Giver

i literally hate that guy
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
Yeah it's gross and unimaginative and shallow and I can't even imagine what a Crumb fan looks like.

there is a plotted scene its just super broad and the seed that crumb planted was the idea of but the idea that comics didn't have to be just about superheroes and they didn't just have to be aimed at children. its just anything that might be considered unorthodox to mainstream audiences.

Which seems to be more about timing than personality imo. Like you said, Robert Crumb isn't a particular intellect or great creator and that's not why he's considered a pioneer. That's why I'm apprehensive about 'but he helped create the scene' caveat when criticizing or appreciating artists.

High-functioning Bunny

Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud

Which seems to be more about timing than personality imo. Like you said, Robert Crumb isn't a particular intellect or great creator and that's not why he's considered a pioneer. That's why I'm apprehensive about 'but he helped create the scene' caveat when criticizing or appreciating artists.

Oh its definitely all about timing. People give him a lot of credit but tbh the united states was the last to take comics seriously as a medium and we're still one of the few countries who doesn't just sell all genres of comics at like convenience stores. It could've been anyone who brought that idea to the states but it took some weirdo to do it which is actually why alt comics is still such a niche thing where everywhere else it isn't, they're just comics.
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud
BENJI BUTT
Schadenfraud

Oh its definitely all about timing. People give him a lot of credit but tbh the united states was the last to take comics seriously as a medium and we're still one of the few countries who doesn't just sell all genres of comics at like convenience stores. It could've been anyone who brought that idea to the states but it took some weirdo to do it which is actually why alt comics is still such a niche thing where everywhere else it isn't, they're just comics.

Pretty much. We're all about the illusion of progress here anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff