<3 </3

Poll

whore 0.41558441558442 41.6% [ 64 ]
dancer 0.58441558441558 58.4% [ 90 ]
Total Votes:[ 154 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Marajoowana
The Essence of Evil

People like to say that, but from what I gather he just wanted to overthrow God. Of course, God made him so that didn't work very well and he got flung out. He got all bitter and started trying to recruit people and now he's stuck in a dead end job as the manager of Hell. Based on this information, I really believe it stems for him being motivated to achive power- not just to cause harm for the sake of causing harm. However, they way he tries to achive power usually is harmful so yeah.

That was a kind of figurative example, but I just want you to catch my drift on why I think that way.

Even though Satan was never real to begin with, if he were, I'd like to believe that he's like the Satan from Paradise Lost.
I need to read that.
What was he basically like?
Marajoowana
AtavisticDevilry

I'm not going to read all of that, so just tell me plainly... what makes Satanism Satanism and not Hedonism?
I think the fact that they are atheists, and use "magic".
Tavvi
The Essence of Evil
The religion Satanism advocates stepping on the weak to achive your goals. That is the issue I have with that, but otherwise it has some good points.

However, I see the acutal worshipping of Satan as a conundrum. If you believe in Satan, you must believe in God. You also probably believe in Hell. If you believe in God and Hell, why would you worship a being that, according to the religion they are both based from, would cause you to automatically get sent to Hell when you died? Do you think Satan would really pity you? He's about power, not about helping people.

I agree with you. Satan wouldn't care. Doesn't matter if you are on his side, or God's. The only thing he wants to do, is look out for his own wants. Can use satanists, and then when he doesn't feel like playing with them anymore he quickly disposes of them in the same coniving ways. I mean ... the only one he cares about is himself. And what he can do for himself. As long as he does as much bad stuff as possible, and make God upset and sad, the better it concerns him. Lost people, and satanists alike, will both suffer same punishments ... from the own one they are following. Pretty sad. Following someone who would later stab you in the back. At least God loves the people. I'd rather follow Him, wouldn't the rest of you? razz
Yes and i do and I'm prepared to be flamed for it.
melancoly_corpse
The Essence of Evil
The religion Satanism advocates stepping on the weak to achive your goals. That is the issue I have with that, but otherwise it has some good points.

However, I see the acutal worshipping of Satan as a conundrum. If you believe in Satan, you must believe in God. You also probably believe in Hell. If you believe in God and Hell, why would you worship a being that, according to the religion they are both based from, would cause you to automatically get sent to Hell when you died? Do you think Satan would really pity you? He's about power, not about helping people.
Since the God figure stands for helping people and being good, wouldn't the Satan figure stand for evil instead of power?

From what I have heard, Satanists don't actually believe and worship Satan himself, but all the things he is. Kinda. I think. They advocate cunning, and looking out for oneself, or something or other.

Quote:
In Satanism, Satan is an archetype, a representation of certain qualities that the Satanist embodies including rational self-interest, avoidance of oppressive mentalities, the questioning of all, and a perseverance towards success and human potential.
Miss McMorbid
melancoly_corpse
The Essence of Evil

Since the God figure stands for helping people and being good, wouldn't the Satan figure stand for evil instead of power?

From what I have heard, Satanists don't actually believe and worship Satan himself, but all the things he is. Kinda. I think. They advocate cunning, and looking out for oneself, or something or other.

Quote:
In Satanism, Satan is an archetype, a representation of certain qualities that the Satanist embodies including rational self-interest, avoidance of oppressive mentalities, the questioning of all, and a perseverance towards success and human potential.
The first paragraph was referring to that type of Satanism, the second to the worship of Satan.
The Essence of Evil
Marajoowana
AtavisticDevilry

I'm not going to read all of that, so just tell me plainly... what makes Satanism Satanism and not Hedonism?
I think the fact that they are atheists, and use "magic".

...because Satanists value more than hedonistic ways. 3nodding
The Essence of Evil

I need to read that.

I didn't read the whole thing, but one of the pieces I read was Satan's Soliloquey. It was beautiful! The whole story is based on Satan's side of the story. It's not supposed to make you pity him. He's still supposed to be evil, but it's hard not to think of him as the hero of the novel. It raised a lot of hell (hah.) when it was published because people thought it was blasphemous.
Anyway, Satan knows he's bad and wishes he could return to Heaven, but he also knows he can't because he is too power-hungry and would only try and reenact his revolt against God if given the chance to return. It's really interesting the way he reasons with himself. I definately recommend it.
Marajoowana
The Essence of Evil

I need to read that.

I didn't read the whole thing, but one of the pieces I read was Satan's Soliloquey. It was beautiful! The whole story is based on Satan's side of the story. It's not supposed to make you pity him. He's still supposed to be evil, but it's hard not to think of him as the hero of the novel. It raised a lot of hell (hah.) when it was published because people thought it was blasphemous.
Anyway, Satan knows he's bad and wishes he could return to Heaven, but he also knows he can't because he is too power-hungry and would only try and reenact his revolt against God if given the chance to return. It's really interesting the way he reasons with himself. I definately recommend it.

Aww, sounds like Satan just needs a hug. I would most definately give him one if I had the chance. 3nodding
Marajoowana
The Essence of Evil

I need to read that.

Is it the "Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven" speech?
I did read Memnoch the Devil- which also had an interesting portrayal. As I've said earlier, I don't believe him to be pure evil- but I do believe him to be powerhungry and dangerous.
(I love your sig)
hmm well they do worship the devi.
The Essence of Evil

I did read Memnoch the Devil- which also had an interesting portrayal. As I've said earlier, I don't believe him to be pure evil- but I do believe him to be powerhungry and dangerous.
(I love your sig)

Yep. That's the one! Memenoch, hm? Never heard of it, but I'll look into it.
My Satan can kick your Satan's a**.
you just kind of have to think of a few things:

whose name is pretty much the title of the religion
what religion the majority of the people on this planet are
and what that guy means to those people.

Satan to Christians = a bad guy.
Marajoowana
The Essence of Evil

(I love your sig)

Yep. That's the one! Memenoch, hm? Never heard of it, but I'll look into it.
It's Anne Rice, so it depends on if you like her. I think it's almost as good as Inverview With the Vampire.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff