Welcome to Gaia! ::

This is not a poll.

Ok. 1 100.0% [ 34 ]
Total Votes:[ 34 ]
< 1 2

Triste-chan
Lotus_DelRay

way to prove him wrong by not actually addressing his argument....
there is something repulsive about disregarding a person opinion, by saying appeal to whatever, instead of just showing why his argument is wrong, oh wait, because it's lazy.
if his argument is flawed, just prove it wrong....instead of screaming FALLACY!

It's like you don't know what a fallacy is.
i am well aware of what a logical fallacy is.
but let me ask you this, how the hell does telling someone who is doing appeal to ridicule show him that he is wrong?
first off his his argument is flawed, why not break it down and chrush it with an argument instead of saying, "you are wrong because you broke teh code"
second off, she did not show what part of his statement was a fallacy and why, if you do not do this, well then how can you're statement be legitimate.
if you label someones argument inherently wrong, it is your job to show why, not to just label it wrong.
i have had people cliam i was using a whole host of fallacies and not say why my statement was a fallacy or where, if you don't do that i reserve th right to ignore your statement, if you cliam something is a fallacy it is your burden of proof to damned well show why it's a fallacy, not to just say it is, and if you are going to do that, you might as well just prove their argument wrong with other means instead
(by the way, i hadn't done any fallacies, he was just using it to try to get me to shut up)
a fallacy is a type of flaw in logic, but if you don't show how the statement is that flaw in logic, you prove only that you can label s**t, not that his argument is wrong
for example.
i could say your statement is ad hominem and leave it at that...
did i prove it was ad hominem? no
i just said it was...
doesn't mean a goddamned thing.
but i could say that since you are clearly attacking my intelligence and not my statement, this qualifies as ad hominem....
or i could just prove you are wrong by explianing my position, which is better?
I fail to acknowledge the people that just call me "wrong" as "debaters".

You fefuse to make any point.

If I am incorrect, SHOW me my errors.

Dont just say "You're wrong!", to which i will reply "you are a fool! Avast ye, scoundrel!".

No!r.

Dont just say "You're wrong!", to which i will reply "you are a fool! Avast ye, scoundrel!".

i suppose you didn't read my post then?
i'm not quite sure what you are arguing against christians.
you apperantly claim we are all mindless fools who follow gods code of something negative (i am not sure what)
and that we all justify our faith with our faith.
that is stupid, anyone who justifies his faith with only faith is a dipshit.
a proper christian will tell you he has faith in christ because of the concept of universal brtoherhood, law of agape, anda belief in the elleviation of the suffer of the misfortunate, as well as a belief in gd as the father of humanity.
we do not "blindly appease god" except trhough oru actions as they would relate to christ actions...
in other words we appease god by not being selfish, opposing violence whenever possible, and accepting persecution when we cannot stop it.
and of course helping the needy.
in general, god is appeased by us being nice.
No!r.

Logical Fallacy.
Argument from ignorance.
Skiddishfit
No!r.

Logical Fallacy.
Argument from ignorance.
at least you posted the definition.
Lotus_DelRay
Skiddishfit
No!r.

Logical Fallacy.
Argument from ignorance.
at least you posted the definition.
Well, his points have been addressed. It also appears he does not understand the terms previously posted.
No!r.
I mean, you have Christianity, where the believers take their knowledge from some "omnipotent being" that tells them to worship him at all times. And the believers use faith as an excuse to blindly appease their Lord in order to seek enlightenment and "gifts" of newfound religous glory in their lives.

Well, the gifts of religious glory are supposed to come after life, when you have been brought to the Heavens to live with the one God, but that's a bit irrelevant. You can't fault people for believing that something in the universe is omnipotent; otherwise, no one would know what's going on lol.

Christianity, like most religions, founds an omnipotent being in order to give justification for moral action and retribution for immoral action. For a true Christian, they don't blindly serve their God; they question and react, and try to understand why they should act a certain way. A true Christian would not fear God, but try to understand the ethical and moral values put forth by Christianity. To be a good person, in short.

No!r.
And then theres Wicca. Do these people seriously think they're magical? That with a pentagram and some silly chanting everything they want will come true?

While my short analysis of Christianity was a bit shaky, I can clearly state that you are mistaken about Wicca. The basis for Wicca is rooted deeply in nature. Where other Pagan religions (you're probably most familiar with the Greco-Roman gods and goddesses) display the deities as being above nature and caring about human interaction, Wiccan deities are a fundamental part of nature. Their interferences in human lives are slim at best, putting more energy into maintaining the natural world.

Like the Christian omnipotent deity, Wiccan deities shape the moral and ethical viewpoints of followers. If your deities are in nature - that is, if the most powerful beings in the universe reside in the most natural surroundings - your first duties are toward the Earth. The maintenance of the environment and, on a deeply spiritual level, the tuning of your body with that of your surroundings, becomes all-important. In this way, Wiccan beliefs are strongly connected with the Taoist and, to a lesser extent, Buddhist beliefs of "universal ether". In these systems, the spirit is more closely attached to the universe (nature) than is the corporeal body, but is limited to that body; thus, spiritual atonement comes from matching the functions of the corporeal body to nature. In Taoism, this implies the principles of least resistance and universal understanding; in Wicca, this means environmental maintenance and earthly cycles.

All in all, religion is "meant" as a system for providing humans with ethical and moral justifications - not the ethics and morals themselves. Think for a moment, that there is no deity and no universal force; that all of life is meaningless, nothing at all is guiding the universe, and no one at all knows what the hell is going on. Now we have people with no understanding of sharing, and community; you have no reason to stick together as a species; everything reverts back to its former state. The ability to create religion, both as a justification for moral aptitude and as a pre-scientific system, are a part of what make us human.

Now with a firm scientific background, religions must adjust. They no longer need to explain how the sun got in the sky, or how the earth was created; but those parables still supply us with moral and ethical justification.

I don't know if you watch South Park, but there was an episode where a family of Mormons moved in. I don't know what you know about the Mormon faith, but its founding principles are shaky at best. Regardless, it provides an extremely strong - and moreover, compatible with modern times - ethical background. The entire episode, Stan is criticizing the Mormon faith, until finally the kid says:

"So what if our religion doesn't make sense. We're still good people, and it lets us be a happy family. That's more than you have."

If nothing else, religion is a way for humans to justify being happy. Everyone wants purpose in their lives.
Swordmaster Dragon
No!r.
I mean, you have Christianity, where the believers take their knowledge from some "omnipotent being" that tells them to worship him at all times. And the believers use faith as an excuse to blindly appease their Lord in order to seek enlightenment and "gifts" of newfound religous glory in their lives.

Well, the gifts of religious glory are supposed to come after life, when you have been brought to the Heavens to live with the one God, but that's a bit irrelevant. You can't fault people for believing that something in the universe is omnipotent; otherwise, no one would know what's going on lol.

Christianity, like most religions, founds an omnipotent being in order to give justification for moral action and retribution for immoral action. For a true Christian, they don't blindly serve their God; they question and react, and try to understand why they should act a certain way. A true Christian would not fear God, but try to understand the ethical and moral values put forth by Christianity. To be a good person, in short.

No!r.
And then theres Wicca. Do these people seriously think they're magical? That with a pentagram and some silly chanting everything they want will come true?

While my short analysis of Christianity was a bit shaky, I can clearly state that you are mistaken about Wicca. The basis for Wicca is rooted deeply in nature. Where other Pagan religions (you're probably most familiar with the Greco-Roman gods and goddesses) display the deities as being above nature and caring about human interaction, Wiccan deities are a fundamental part of nature. Their interferences in human lives are slim at best, putting more energy into maintaining the natural world.

Like the Christian omnipotent deity, Wiccan deities shape the moral and ethical viewpoints of followers. If your deities are in nature - that is, if the most powerful beings in the universe reside in the most natural surroundings - your first duties are toward the Earth. The maintenance of the environment and, on a deeply spiritual level, the tuning of your body with that of your surroundings, becomes all-important. In this way, Wiccan beliefs are strongly connected with the Taoist and, to a lesser extent, Buddhist beliefs of "universal ether". In these systems, the spirit is more closely attached to the universe (nature) than is the corporeal body, but is limited to that body; thus, spiritual atonement comes from matching the functions of the corporeal body to nature. In Taoism, this implies the principles of least resistance and universal understanding; in Wicca, this means environmental maintenance and earthly cycles.

All in all, religion is "meant" as a system for providing humans with ethical and moral justifications - not the ethics and morals themselves. Think for a moment, that there is no deity and no universal force; that all of life is meaningless, nothing at all is guiding the universe, and no one at all knows what the hell is going on. Now we have people with no understanding of sharing, and community; you have no reason to stick together as a species; everything reverts back to its former state. The ability to create religion, both as a justification for moral aptitude and as a pre-scientific system, are a part of what make us human.

Now with a firm scientific background, religions must adjust. They no longer need to explain how the sun got in the sky, or how the earth was created; but those parables still supply us with moral and ethical justification.

I don't know if you watch South Park, but there was an episode where a family of Mormons moved in. I don't know what you know about the Mormon faith, but its founding principles are shaky at best. Regardless, it provides an extremely strong - and moreover, compatible with modern times - ethical background. The entire episode, Stan is criticizing the Mormon faith, until finally the kid says:

"So what if our religion doesn't make sense. We're still good people, and it lets us be a happy family. That's more than you have."

If nothing else, religion is a way for humans to justify being happy. Everyone wants purpose in their lives.
sure there are good mormons, but lets not voerindulge in how great they are, god knows the ostrasizations, the tendency for cults, the polygamy, and the incest/ child marriage s**t, certianly doesn't look to shiny on an ethics card...
Yes I believe I'm magickal, as is everyone else.
the reason is that we are all the children of sll existing gods and goddesses... do you really think that we are all alone? and that even the smallest creatures in which we evolved from had no reason to appear in the first place?
magick is teh roxxors...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces