Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is it an oxymoron?

Yeah pretty much 0.39035087719298 39.0% [ 89 ]
It depends 0.25877192982456 25.9% [ 59 ]
I don't care, myspace sucks! 0.20614035087719 20.6% [ 47 ]
No, people don't have the right to use things like that against people 0.14473684210526 14.5% [ 33 ]
Total Votes:[ 228 ]
< 1 2 3 4 5

Dangerous Visionary

Rebellious-Inquirer
Makiros
This is a double edged sword, unfortunately. I would not want my employer descriminating against me because I am a member of an alternative spirituality, because I am a member of an alternative lifestyle or because I have differing opinions from my employer.

Although you made very good points. I am going to have to disagree. I really do feel if you want something to be left in the dark you should not put online at all. Find a cheap 99 cent notebook and put all your rantings in it then put the notebook in a locker or safe of some sort. Personal business should stay off the internet. You never know who can hack or copy and paste you stuff.

I do agree that parents should take a more active role in thier children's lives however untill I think the school's are doing the best they can. Sadly its the people at school that do know the child better than the parents. So if the school must spy then allow it. However I think the only reason why the school's find out is because the kid is on myspace, gaia, or facebook at school. Thus they have the right to be punish. You go to school to learn not to waste people's time and tax money goofing off.

I agree with a little bit of both of you. I don't feel that people have the right to spy. However again anyone can go to any of these sites. I agree that if it something that you don't want to get into trouble for best put in it a personal paper notebook or do like me be very loose about it. Don't attach names, places, or direct events. That way people don't know if it's them or you.
I think the employer rights should be limited to sensitive cases, such as psychiatrics, CIA agents, but should not be used for background checks on office workers, fastfood workers, etc., unless they are dumb enough to type "1 3mb3zzl3d m0n3y!1!1" or some dumb s**t like that. If Bob the Accountant goes raving after work because he loves the ladies and the feel of leather on his a**, let him work if he can do the best job. Do not judge people just because of what they do, unless it is very, very serious harm.

Dangerous Visionary

Draco_Weasley
I think the employer rights should be limited to sensitive cases, such as psychiatrics, CIA agents, but should not be used for background checks on office workers, fastfood workers, etc., unless they are dumb enough to type "1 3mb3zzl3d m0n3y!1!1" or some dumb s**t like that. If Bob the Accountant goes raving after work because he loves the ladies and the feel of leather on his a**, let him work if he can do the best job. Do not judge people just because of what they do, unless it is very, very serious harm.
Yes that is true. However as stated above. Stuff like that should pretty much be kept under wraps and protected as much as possible.
If it comes up in a regular search or something without being a friend or something of the other person, then it's not a violation. By placing something on a publicly accessible site, then you are acknowledging that other people can see it, so they can't claim their privacy was violated, even if what happened is kinda wrong. Damn stupid of the girl to OD, anyway.

Dangerous Visionary

Drunken Sakura
If it comes up in a regular search or something without being a friend or something of the other person, then it's not a violation. By placing something on a publicly accessible site, then you are acknowledging that other people can see it, so they can't claim their privacy was violated, even if what happened is kinda wrong. Damn stupid of the girl to OD, anyway.
Yeah it is pretty hard believe or not to OD from anything. You really have to have some crappy friends and poor judgement to OD on anything.
Miss-dark8607
Mostly anyone who is anyone is on {Myspace}.

anyone who has no life other than "i'm gonna carry a camera around with me so i can get that 'perfect' myspace picture, and it's all i'm gonna do every waking moment of free time i have" is on myspace.

anyone who's anyone is on Gaia.

EDIT: as to rights, i think about it like this:

people have privacy rights in public places, like parks, etc. so they should get them on public sites, too.
BUT.
people are stupid enough to tell people who is who, and they tell everyone else. higher-ups can get that information, because people usually put their name as their username (stupid idea to begin with). something like this would almost NEVER happen on gaia, because usernames are so convoluted and everyone knows everyone, but they don't know who they actually are.

in other words, myspace sucks, because you lose any wink of privacy.

Dangerous Visionary

D.J._Skippy
Miss-dark8607
Mostly anyone who is anyone is on {Myspace}.

anyone who has no life other than "i'm gonna carry a camera around with me so i can get that 'perfect' myspace picture, and it's all i'm gonna do every waking moment of free time i have" is on myspace.

anyone who's anyone is on Gaia.

EDIT: as to rights, i think about it like this:

people have privacy rights in public places, like parks, etc. so they should get them on public sites, too.
BUT.
people are stupid enough to tell people who is who, and they tell everyone else. higher-ups can get that information, because people usually put their name as their username (stupid idea to begin with). something like this would almost NEVER happen on gaia, because usernames are so convoluted and everyone knows everyone, but they don't know who they actually are.

in other words, myspace sucks, because you lose any wink of privacy.

That a very good point as well as example. Though I have met people on Gaia that have gave me their personal info in which I have forgotten anyway.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff