Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lucky Star

Eh.
Financial stability can disappear in an instant.

And age doesn't make a good parent. There's some really shitty older parents out there. I knew a guy whose mom didn't have her kids till her 30s. And she was in her 50s always bitching about how kids are the worst and she can't do anything for herself and she wish she never had them.

I had my son at 21 and never once cared that my life is centered around him now, I love it that way. But I've never been the self centered type

Profitable Gekko

xVallx
Gay African Mammoth
xVallx
I find that it's most commonly the uneducated and unintelligent people who end up procreating. They usually live off of welfare and don't work. Or they will get knocked up and live off of child support and baby bonuses. Anyways, There is no practical scenerio where your idea there would ever possibly work. It's not going to happen.
Oh yeah I totally agree that it's never going to happen, I just thought it was conversation worthy :V. In my small pockets of thinking about it I saw a dark road...with some interesting benefits :V.

But are you saying smart people don't have babies or something? xD

They do, but not in my age range. Young adults should be in college/working before having kids. Ideally people should be established first but accidents do happen. I mean, every young parent I personally know is not smart and not contributing to society.
I can actually agree with you there then. Most of the younger adults that I know who rush into having children aren't thinking their lives out...it's like they think it's either the next logical step in their relationship, or it's a total accident, or it's a total accident and the girl thinks it's going to keep the guy around.

In most cases it breaks my hear to see what happens to everyone involved next because in the majority of these cases the baby isn't good for anybody. That's most cases, not all I'll stress to clarify.

Personally I just wish a little child psychology was a requirement for having a kid...at least understanding how your kid receives information. Because my experience with people and their kids is that they get frustrated dealing with things that can sort of understand them, so they result to hasty damaging tactics to get them to do it faster.

Profitable Gekko

Shark Bacon

Wizards of the Toast
Jeez, good point Toast Wizard ;p...or at the least very compelling xD. I'm not sure what is a right and what isn't in all honesty, but I think a lot of people would say that it's their "right" to have children. But even if that were the case should it be so? And yeah I admit when we ask that question we're treading dangerous water, but the fact is that every mother who has a womb isn't fit to have children, but most do.

And that's a terrible terrible thing in my opinion, more so than I think most people think about. And I wonder here if we stopped letting it be a "right" and put up a requirement or two for the parent's and the child's sake, would that be progress for our species?

Profitable Gekko

xChibi Cannibalx
I agree 100% with the first one. Thered be no issues with teen pregnancy which would be good for everyone

As for the financially stable one, i agree with it maybe 50%. Im on disability because i cannot work even if i tried. So it couldnt be based off of jobs because not everyone can have one. Im also financially stable and living with my boyfriend

I dont agree with the last one at all. I dont want parenting class and dont think i need them. My mom used to run a day care and i helped her out. We both volunteered at a daycare as well. I dont /need/ parenting classes
Wow good point on the financial stability question, that does sound like it'd be a problem for people on disability. However I think in this scenario your income could or would be looked at along with your "partner's" income. So if your partner has some sort of income then that counts too, so long as they've had it for a some odd amount of time. I also kinda like number 2 because I look at it like having a steady income with a partner for some odd amount of time makes it so that you two are also going to need to stay together longer and make sure that this is the decision that you want to make. Having a baby that is. But those are my reasons for liking it ;p.

I disagree with you though on the parenting classes, I think it should still probably be a requirement because even while you've had some experience with kids and I applaud you on picking some experience up. A lot of people don't know how children "work", how they react to you and why it is they don't just sit down like a normal person or go outside, but instead rapidly transition between both. And this causes frustration in an adult who just got home from work or is depressed and burnt out which can lead to someone hitting or mostly yelling at their kid because "well it works." and they simply don't know any other way.

I know my first experience with toddlers was when I moved in with my grandma to take care of her, and my nieces would come stay over. Their mothers mostly just yelled at them to make them do things or hit them, so normally talking to them had me COMPLETELY confused. I was talking to a 4 year old and I was getting 0 response or recognition which made me wonder if 4 years old was too young to understand adults. Nah wasn't the case, she just only responded to yelling or being hit after only being yelled at or hit.

Profitable Gekko

Tute Sweet
What would you like to see covered in these parenting classes?
Basic child psychology, how they receive and react to information and how it differs from how a functioning adult, teenager, and toddler receives that information. How to defuse tense situations with your kid. Why hitting them does get fast results, but what problems you're possibly creating for yourself later on when they grow up and think hitting is the way to handle things.

Profitable Gekko

MiameMiame
This reminds me an awful lot of the nazi-regime. So it goes without saying; a bad idea.
I won't deny the inherent risk of giving anyone that amount of control over something like human beings having the ability to give birth. But I think it's a conversation worth having if not for fun ;p.
Gay African Mammoth
xVallx
Gay African Mammoth
xVallx
I find that it's most commonly the uneducated and unintelligent people who end up procreating. They usually live off of welfare and don't work. Or they will get knocked up and live off of child support and baby bonuses. Anyways, There is no practical scenerio where your idea there would ever possibly work. It's not going to happen.
Oh yeah I totally agree that it's never going to happen, I just thought it was conversation worthy :V. In my small pockets of thinking about it I saw a dark road...with some interesting benefits :V.

But are you saying smart people don't have babies or something? xD

They do, but not in my age range. Young adults should be in college/working before having kids. Ideally people should be established first but accidents do happen. I mean, every young parent I personally know is not smart and not contributing to society.
I can actually agree with you there then. Most of the younger adults that I know who rush into having children aren't thinking their lives out...it's like they think it's either the next logical step in their relationship, or it's a total accident, or it's a total accident and the girl thinks it's going to keep the guy around.

In most cases it breaks my hear to see what happens to everyone involved next because in the majority of these cases the baby isn't good for anybody. That's most cases, not all I'll stress to clarify.

Personally I just wish a little child psychology was a requirement for having a kid...at least understanding how your kid receives information. Because my experience with people and their kids is that they get frustrated dealing with things that can sort of understand them, so they result to hasty damaging tactics to get them to do it faster.

I've had to go grocery shopping for a friend of mine once. She called me up crying because her son was crying because literally all they had in their house was a bottle of ketchup, somehow though, her and her boyfriend were able to afford cigarettes and a case of beer. It broke my heart to hear her son crying in the background so I bought proper food for them. Unfortunately, I see a lot of cases like this where the parents are flat broke. Of course, most young parents that I know provide what they can to their kids and go without for themselves, but it still leaves a lot of kids malnourished. Like you can't get unpregnant if you do get knocked up, but I think proper sex education in schools should be established. The school doesn't teach girls about proper use of birth control, only how to roll on a condom. If girls were taught how to actually use birth control, and taught about what kind of birth control options there were (the shot, patches, IUD) there wouldn't be as much of an issue

Fuzzy Member

condoms are one such technology

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
Financial stability doesn't exist irl C:

But yeah, maybe proving you are willing to contribute to the community as a parent (volunteer/go to school/what have you while not taking care of the children, chores, groceries, etc) incapable of work, or if you are able to work/go to school then show that you're willing to do so regardless of employment opportunity in the area (similar to the unemployment check system, but ideally less of a hassle). Government assistance is fine as long as it's being used as a temporary stepping stone to contribute back to the state (we're both unwillingly unemployed but we don't intend to stay that way forever - we've paid our dues in income taxes and are thankful for the programs that are available, but are not OK with sustaining on them indefinitely).

Procreation is a freedom and a choice.
Stupidity, complacency and other undesirable traits are typically weeded out through natural selection.
And immaturity does tend to wear off on most parents. It comes with the territory, I guess.

Profitable Gekko

Faerie Dreams
Eh.
Financial stability can disappear in an instant.

And age doesn't make a good parent. There's some really shitty older parents out there. I knew a guy whose mom didn't have her kids till her 30s. And she was in her 50s always bitching about how kids are the worst and she can't do anything for herself and she wish she never had them.

I had my son at 21 and never once cared that my life is centered around him now, I love it that way. But I've never been the self centered type
Hey I'm glad that you're able to provide a good living situation for your son.

I agree with you that financial stability can disappear quickly, but that rule would more so be there to show that you would be WILLING to hold a job long term and not just shoot it out without any way to provide for it and then just lean on the government. Of which I don't speak of lightly, if I didn't have several close examples I probably wouldn't believe that people are willing to have kids and not provide or them themselves and expect money from the government, but it's a thing razz .

I also agree with you that age doesn't make a good parent, but I do think that age does help. I mean if we're being honest the average 15 year old vs a 30 year old still doesn't have great working knowledge of the world, probably hasn't tasted independence yet or had to stand on their own two feet fully. Their are cases out there that are the exact opposite of what I'm saying, but they probably aren't the average teenager. But hey if a teenager laces up their shoes, digs in, and handles parenting well, then I'm always happy. But I'd probably say it's best to wait until you've at-least fully developed as a person.

Profitable Gekko

Magical Felicia

This idea would never be accepted here because it infringes on privacy and goes against EU regulations and the convention on human rights. Just because someone is a young parent does not mean they are a loser, or will be a loser. I knew a girl in college who had a daughter when she was 15. She was a beautiful Mongolian girl who became a Dentist. So this whole logic is flawed and based on stereotypes. What is considered ideal age, intellect, and financial security is all subjective. People can have children later in life, after going to college and having a nice job and doing everything the ''right'' way and lose it all in the blink of an eye. You never know when your stable household becomes chaotic or you become a window/widower and your life is turned upside down and you have nowhere to go. You never know if your husband/wife will cheat on you leaving you in he midst of a nasty divorce and having no other option but to take your kids and claim welfare and collect child maintenance payments until you get on your feet. On the other end of the spectrum, there are plenty of young parents who continue school and go on to make good careers and get married. There are also many who wait until later in life who turn out to be horrible parents.

For sure, as I stated I already know that it wouldn't be accepted. This conversation is more so about the ups and downs of the proposition and if it really even is a good idea.

Firstly I would never ever say that because someone has children at a younger age that they're automatically a loser. I'd question if they knew what they were getting into, or if they wish they had waited abit longer and figured their lives out, but I'd never say they're automatically a loser.

Secondly, I totally agree with you that age doesn't necessarily equate to good parenting. However there are a lot of young adults who have kids...and I mean a lot who have them and have NO IDEA how to deal with them, too many in fact. They then might abuse the kids or raise them resenting them for ruining their lives. And I feel that if making young adults wait and prove themselves a little helps taper off that number, then it might be worth it. this is not based on stereotypes by a long shot, in fact I'm speaking from personal experience. Now the examples that I'm going to give are totally anecdotal because they're from my perspective in "my" life, but I know it's not isolated or even a minority thing. My grandma had four kids, all of them daughters, all of them she had by the age of 18. My grandma spent most of her time clubbing and looking for men and leaving her kids with relatives who didn't much care to feed them. One story my mom told me (You can skip this if you want ;p) was that one of her favorite things to do as a kid was to run up to the local middle school with her and her sisters around the time the school let out and talk to the kids about what they got to eat at lunch that day, because her and her sisters weren't being fed very often.

My mom had my sister and I around the age of 19, and every day after maybe the age of 7 was "I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL YOU GROW UP AND GET OUT!". Now this isn't everyone's experience with a parent who had them at a young age, but this is roughly the story for every single person in my family, as well as any kids that they've had today. I'm about 24, and many of my cousins have already had kids. I had to help take care of two of them along with taking care of my grandma when I moved in to take care of her. My cousin's girlfriend who he left would generally only have things like "SIT DOWN BEFORE I BUST YOU UP SIDE YO HEAD" to say to her kids, and she made good on her threats. At one point I attacked her because of it. So yeah, it's not based on stereotypes, I've got a lot of real world experience with it xD. But I can't stress enough that my experiences aren't everyone else's.

I remember when the new high school in my city got finished being built and students in that area flooded to it from other high schools. I attended as a sophmore and the very first day...a huge amount of the freshmen there were pregnant...just ready to pop. It's not a pretty site seeing 13 and 14 year old kids walking around with bowling balls in their shirts. I don't think it's a stretch to say that they didn't know what they were getting into, and how a good portion of them if not all of them were unfit to be parents at that age and would have been better off not being pregnant. Totally coincidentally today at my job which is working on a food truck with my uncle a young white girl and her boyfriend...she had to be MAYBE 17, came up and ordered some food. They ordered, I served them, and out of nowhere I hear cussing and shouting and then a car pull off. He left her on the side of the road, stole her phone, money and other crap, and what's worse is that she didn't even live in this city! Totally blew my mind, and she looked really far along in her pregnancy. Once again, that happened TODAY!! I feel sorry for her because she's stuck with that guy in her life, because she has to have that baby.

As for the financial stability thing, I think it'd be a good idea more so just to show that you were or are willing to at least hold a job for a certain amount of time and don't just plan to have the kids and then lean on welfare. My cousin's ex girlfriend who I was just talking about does that, and I've got an auntie who does too, coincidentally she's that same cousin's mom.

Hey, sorry if that was a lot to read xD.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff