Welcome to Gaia! ::

Throughout history, we have known many variations upon the written and spoken word. We have stories, novels, epics, short stories, song, and plays. But what about that last one, an evolution from the world of song, slowly being pushed back in our literary minds, until today, there is hardly mention of it but in high-school English classes? Yes, I speak of poetry. Everyone knows about the newest, shiniest book, but what about the next anthology? Who can really recognize a popular poet? What are your views on the validity of poetry, and reasons for its current seeming unpopularity in normal society? Has poetry, like fine wine, become something reserved for the rich intellectuals?
What do you think?
I think poetry's become the opposite. crying !

All the kids bottle up their emotions and, well, put it out in a poem. (Bad teenage poetry.)

I'm personally not a large fan of poetry, but I find it being taught in my school. Just a few days ago we were doing a unit on style analysis, and we read a couple of poems to back it up.

Now, classic poetry is a dying art, but, most of those classic poets are dead so nobody seems to mind. *huggles her Poe books*

Sikhil's Wife

Shameless Firestarter

15,025 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
People have narrow views of what poetry is the majority of the time is what I've noticed. Everyone is very picky when it comes to what is 'good poetry' and it makes sense. That's why it's hard to pick out such things. That and everyone thinks they are a poet nowadays.
Personally, I enjoy reading books much more then I enjoy reading poetry. I mean, poetry is nice to read, but I just prefer books better. However, in my British Literature class, we read tons of poems. It was pretty much the whole class. In addition, in my Creative Writing class we wrote two whole portfolios of poetry. I think it's important to be well versed in the poets. As for poetry disapearing, yes, it is a bit. However, people still write poetry and get it published. There are even poetry contests on Gaia. I'm sure that poetry will not die out completely.
i like poetry a lot. but sometime's it's just more interesting to read a book. but it all depends really......
I love to write poetry, but I love to read books. So I compromise. xD Books are written in poem often, like Splintering by Eireann Corrigan. Or I'll buy an anthology of poetry book(usually it's because I'm in it though). But yes, I think poetry needs to be more "out there" than it is currently. Some works are truly beautiful and deep and dark all at the same time.
Another world,the permanant gamer: Your sword-engulfed in blue flames.The red-orange writing beneath you that seems to glow.You fight without mercy-never daring to question moment,time or of your yesterday.Your constant defying of the gravity you know not of. You fight with speed,never slowing down.The only thing daring to hold you back is the weight of your sword-the blue flame around it that flickers with your every movement.You control fire with your mind,your rebeliance to all things-so great.You slow down the moment gliding through the air.With a movement of your hand all things in the world stop,only you that keeps going.You return time and all things move again.The circle of writing beneath you glows-never questioning it's existance.Your fire that burns all,your sword that cuts all. You raise your hand infront of you freezing time again.All else still you disapear.Returning to the night-falling back to your tomorrow. EnD -Samantha C. What do you think?
Ok. I have one point to make and one point it is. SHUT UP. Teenagers who write "emotional teenage poetry" are only letting out there inner feelings. On paper is a better way to let out feelings than punching someone in the nose. You who said that, shut up. Any kind of poetry is poetry. Just because it is written by a teenager, doesn't automatically mean it is crap. Shut up and get your ideas straight.
rendevous
I think poetry's become the opposite. crying !

All the kids bottle up their emotions and, well, put it out in a poem. (Bad teenage poetry.)

I'm personally not a large fan of poetry, but I find it being taught in my school. Just a few days ago we were doing a unit on style analysis, and we read a couple of poems to back it up.

Now, classic poetry is a dying art, but, most of those classic poets are dead so nobody seems to mind. *huggles her Poe books*
Go suck a cow. There is no such thing as "bad teen poetry", only such thing as people like you. Who are narrow minded.
Not all teenagers write shitty poetry... But many do. What's insulting to poetry is when the schools try and make no-talent kids influenced by rap wriet poetry. It turns out as a pathetic attempt to rhyme words with no depth...
Another world,the permanant gamer: Your sword-engulfed in blue flames.The red-orange writing beneath you that seems to glow.You fight without mercy-never daring to question moment,time or of your yesterday.Your constant defying of the gravity you know not of. You fight with speed,never slowing down.The only thing daring to hold you back is the weight of your sword-the blue flame around it that flickers with your every movement.You control fire with your mind,your rebeliance to all things-so great.You slow down the moment gliding through the air.With a movement of your hand all things in the world stop,only you that keeps going.You return time and all things move again.The circle of writing beneath you glows-never questioning it's existance.Your fire that burns all,your sword that cuts all. You raise your hand infront of you freezing time again.All else still you disapear.Returning to the night-falling back to your tomorrow. EnD -Samantha C. What do you think?
Some teenagers have good poetry but some are just plain stupid and want to get it done with, Poetry is good to express feelings to someone else or group bout a topic. I think.... ninja
rendevous Wrote:
I think poetry's become the opposite. !

Go suck a cow. There is no such thing as "bad teen poetry", only such thing as people like you. Who are narrow minded. (You go girl!) 4laugh
I read poetry because it's like looking at a large slab of glass. It can be a window, or it can be a mirror. Poetry is a way to find new parts of yourself, whether it is by reading it or writing it yourself. (lame imagedry, but hey, it works)
What I am trying to say is that poetry is poetry. It's not saying the poem in wuestion is good or not, it's what the poet put into there work that counts. Poetry has saved me a few good times, and I enjoy writing it. I write poetry, and I am a depressed teenager.

SO ******** SUE ME a** WIPES

stare

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas