Welcome to Gaia! ::

Poll!

Aye! 1 100.0% [ 101 ]
Total Votes:[ 101 ]
1 2 3 >

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BASH YOU OR YOUR BELIEFS. IT IS SIMPLY TO POINT OUT THE FOLLY IN SAYING THAT ONE'S MORALS ARE OBJECTIVE.

My main issue with religion is its subjectivity.
There is no objective 'right' and 'wrong'. Such things are human views, created by humans. There is only what is, and what isn't, and there's a whole ton of exceptions to those rules as well...
'Right' and 'wrong' are core values in most all major religions, and they seem so ridiculously silly to me...
It's not to say that I am not a moral person. However, I see these morals as purely subjective, and not some objective dictation by a higher power.
I see such things as being beneficial or not beneficial, with many exceptions.

Yes, I know my post is short. But I do think I got my point across, and I will elaborate some of the things I've said when it is necessary to do so.

Edit: Many of the responses in this thread seem to say that I dislike subjectivity. I do not. It has proven itself to be a necessary part of human nature.
Alas, it would appear that nobody has anything to say.
Eccentric Iconoclast
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BASH YOU OR YOUR BELIEFS. IT IS SIMPLY TO POINT OUT THE FOLLY IN SAYING THAT ONE'S MORALS ARE OBJECTIVE.

My main issue with religion is its subjectivity.
There is no objective 'right' and 'wrong'. Such things are human views, created by humans. There is only what is, and what isn't, and there's a whole ton of exceptions to those rules as well...
'Right' and 'wrong' are core values in most all major religions, and they seem so ridiculously silly to me...
It's not to say that I am not a moral person. However, I see these morals as purely subjective, and not some objective dictation by a higher power.
I see such things as being beneficial or not beneficial, with many exceptions.

Yes, I know my post is short. But I do think I got my point across, and I will elaborate some of the things I've said when it is necessary to do so.

Heh. Relativity's a b***h.
A) This thread has been done a million times
B) Atheists unite!
Good is a point of view.
i would like to say no religion is solid
scarred_god
A) This thread has been done a million times
B) Atheists unite!

A) Well, if it has, I haven't seen it, and I've been here since July.
B) Who said that I'm an atheist?
I know what you mean and agree.
Good and evil are terms for fairy tales, nothing more.
The Infested

Precisely.
Does nobody else have anything to say about this...?
Eccentric Iconoclast
The Infested

Precisely.

So what would you call a lucid serial killer after he kills everybody in your family. Seriously misguided? He thought he was right so it's okay? *shrugs* I dunno.
The Mini-Management
Eccentric Iconoclast
The Infested

Precisely.

So what would you call a lucid serial killer after he kills everybody in your family. Seriously misguided? He thought he was right so it's okay? *shrugs* I dunno.

No, I would call it subjectively wrong. After all, morals hold no sway on existence itself.

Dapper Noob

I'm not religious myself, but I don't think anyone has the right to say that another person's beliefs are wrong or silly. Their faith is their right, and as long as they don't impose it on others, it's perfectly okay with me. That's just my opinion, though.
I'm a big history buff learning about the past really caused my disillusionment with religion. One thing you learn about history is that no one is a bad guy in their own story. One of causes of falling out with religion was Jesus was Jewish and yet the first thing German cursaders did before marching on the Holy Land was kill all the nearby Jewish people and in the capture of Jerusilum(sp) they slaughterd every none christian they found. A big sin agaist the all loving Jesus. Also the amount of sects of chisrtianity is caused by the fact no one can realy agree on the bible and interpret it diffrent ways so none knows if there doing the "right" thing.

By the way anyone see the South Park episode about the Mormans in heaven hilarious. biggrin
For a society to function, it must adopt a system of "rights" and "wrongs." Once a society accepts that morality is a free for all, there will be anarchy.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff