Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

So, Everyones heard about the Trayvon Martin shooting by now right?
right

My boyfriend (Read: fairly typical middle-class-white-male, we shall call him John), has been following this case closely over the past few days. And I hadn't realized just how shaken up he was by the whole thing until he relayed his concerns to me this morning.

We've recently begun to take the possibility of children in our future into consideration. And the aspect that concerns him most (as has been brought to light by this recent shooting) is that if we had a child who was clearly black (I'm mixed myself, but don't actually look black. I don't look like any particular "race" so I've never had much experience with blatant racism) he wouldn't know how to protect him. He understands more and more as time goes on that he has no concept of the world his 'hypothetical black son' would be living in.

Because John was brought up in a world of the privileged-white-male that is taken for granted when you're IN it, because he has no way to 'opt-out' of it and learn what it will be like to survive in the life of a member of some minority or other, he is concerned that he could accidentally teach this hypothetical black child something that would hurt him.

The shooting is an example of exactly one of those things that John is concerned he could have been responsible for. Common sense in 'his world' is if you control which environments your in, you can ensure your own safety. Always. Period. If you Don't go to the bad neighborhoods where you live you can avoid dangers. This is exactly what Trayvon did. He cut through a safe, middle-class, gated community on his way home from the convenience store when he was shot. Was he in a hurry? Was he avoiding a patch of bad neighborhood? I don't know why he did it. there was nothing wrong with what he did... but he died for it. because he was the wrong color on the wrong night.

John keeps looking to me with these concerns, but I don't have any answers to offer him. So Gaia, I turn to you. What would you say to someone whose looking at the possibility of raising a child who lives in a different world than they do because they look different? What do you think of this shooting? What do you think of interracial relationships or what is your unique experience with race? Parents, what is your experience? What is your Advice? Where would you go to help someone educate themselves on minority issues? Just hop in and talk. Speak your mind. Troll. Do what you do gaia.

tldr; White men and their black kids. Interracial kids: what do?
i like their names
like le-da.

ledasha.

i think it's creative and unique************
safer to drive these days
SAM HATES GAlAONLlNE
I'm an interracial baby
how nice that must be.

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
What is the murderers ethnic background?
Offiser Wolfgang
Trayvons murderer? I think the man was hispanic. why do you ask?
also: excellent sig

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
chroniclepuella
Offiser Wolfgang
Trayvons murderer? I think the man was hispanic. why do you ask?
also: excellent sig

Because some people have been mislead to think that George Zimmermann was a regular racist white male. But he's actually mixed, and from what I remember reading, is a minority in his area. In any case, raising a child who is biracial could be a little difficult, I would imagine. He or she may lean more towards one identity than the other. Just like any child, you want to make sure they're safe at all times, and if I were a parent, I'd also be concerned for the safety of my child.

The thing is, there will be people who like and dislike a person, for plenty of reasons, too. For a child, you'd want them to be independent. I don't think there is a problem with helping them out whenever they're in need of help, but don't baby them too much. As for my sig, I'm glad someone knows who that is.

Super Friend

if all white people were dead, none of this would have happened

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
gull

Racial issues would not go away. How about if every race was in their own land, none of this would have happened?

Super Friend

Offiser Wolfgang
gull

Racial issues would not go away. How about if every race was in their own land, none of this would have happened?
how about we kill all the whites before we worry about your little segregation fantasy

Blessed Gaian

8,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
I know this is a little off topic, but why the hell does it matter if the murderer was white and racist, Hispanic and racist, or mixed and racist. He still is, you know racist.

Unstoppable Phantom

10,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
gull
Offiser Wolfgang
gull

how about we kill all the whites before we worry about your little segregation fantasy

You wouldn't have to if the fantasy went into play. You do know that the murderer is half Hispanic, right? So now what? Still racially motivated?
It can be hard to feel close to my dads race.I feel like Im just white.At least your kid wont get that cause its easy to see that mix

Blessed Gaian

8,350 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
Offiser Wolfgang

You wouldn't have to if the fantasy went into play. You do know that the murderer is half Hispanic, right? So now what? Still racially motivated?

Yes because the shooter was racist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces