Welcome to Gaia! ::

Is literacy a valid insult?

Yes 0.45263157894737 45.3% [ 43 ]
No 0.54736842105263 54.7% [ 52 ]
Total Votes:[ 95 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

HeartlessAge
The Dred Pirate Gossy
A lot of idiots never read. The people who've never read a book that wasn't assigned to them, the people whose eyes glaze over when more than a paragraph is being presented to them. I think that has a LOT to do with stupidity. I still think literacy is a good indicator of intelligence, especially on forums.

Aye, however, i've rarely read a book unless it was assigned to me, so does that make me "sta-hoop-id?"

I'd say that your opinion to me is now of a lesser value.

The two worst read presidents in history have been the worst leaders: Harding and W. Bush.

I think reading is important to developing a well rounded fundamental view of the world. It is also a key part of developing communication skills so that you can articulately convey your thoughts to the world.
Saradiel

I like you.

There are times where I use one or two of the abbreviations, i.e., "LOL", "WTF," etc. But I agree with the rapid succession problem. People inserting one of those in every other word of a sentence can be annoying.

Indeed, I often find myself just ignoring those posts myself.

The occational LOL or other acronym isn't what gets me. It's a lot of those, coupled with no regard for punctuation, grammar, or spelling that just tells me pretty much straight away to skip that post and move to the next one.

It's rather disheartening to have to skip pages at a time in a thread because nobody has anything to say. Ce-la-vie.

By the way, I like you too wink

Have a nice day mrgreen
I'm finding myself wondering about the flowery speech he's using. Trying too hard to impress if you ask me... Keeping it simple is usually the best way to go.
Yeah, I get taken the piss out of because of my grammatical correctness. gonk
The excessive acronyms aren't what get to me so much as misspelled words, especially if it's intentional. That drives me insane! Exactly what is it that makes people feel as though they should misspell a word just for the hell of it? Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind ententionally make themself look stupid?

Someone, please help me understand this because frankly, I just don't get it.

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
HeartlessAge
Well, i've noticed that many use "net-type," but as a convenient way of quickly typing a lot of information. However, should the use of "net-type" be seen as a lack of intelligence?
The way you talk is obnoxious.

Stepping out of the vernacular is a psuedo-intellectual way of avoiding conflict.

Alternatively: You talk like a p***y wannabe.
as long as their stupid their iliterit to me

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
Arsenic4theLovers
The excessive acronyms aren't what get to me so much as misspelled words, especially if it's intentional. That drives me insane! Exactly what is it that makes people feel as though they should misspell a word just for the hell of it? Why on Earth would anyone in their right mind ententionally make themself look stupid?

Someone, please help me understand this because frankly I just don't get it.
Ouch.

Sounds like just about all of you could use a review of freshman composition.
ice18
as long as their stupid their iliterit to me
...no comment...(notice, I commented just to say no comment...)
Yes, I think that being illiterate makes you stupid. Literacy also encompasses comprehension though. So if you're illiterate, you can't read or write with any skill, nor is your comprehension very high. Unfortunetly, people who type in the forums on Gaia are, in fact, literate since they are typing. They are stupid without being illiterate. Make sense?
Arsenic4theLovers

Someone, please help me understand this because frankly, I just don't get it.

You mis-spelled 'intentionally' there Arsenic4thelovers. Just an FYI, and returning the kindness shown to me. wink

I wouldn't let it worry you, some people just don't care. That's one of the saddest parts about the whole situation in my opinion.

In any event, good discussion going here, even if the poll isn't going the way I'd hoped.

Lets keep it going if we can.
Almea
Arsenic4theLovers

Someone, please help me understand this because frankly I just don't get it.
Ouch.

Sounds like just about all of you could use a review of freshman composition.

Now Almea I do believe that was uncalled for.

For the most part, the posters here have remained calm, civil, and friendly. Could we please keep it that way?

Thanks.

6,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Generous 100
RandomHavoc

Now Almea I do believe that was uncalled for.

For the most part, the posters here have remained calm, civil, and friendly. Could we please keep it that way?

Thanks.

Tone modifies content.

I'm always suprised at how many people assume the worst about a poster's tone when they don't like the content.

A lot of the humor I find online is in netspeak and literacy simply isn't a priority for most young people. When the day-to-day standards of language are so low people can hardly be expected to maintain proper communication in a relaxed and anonymous environment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff