Welcome to Gaia! ::

What Type Of Music Do You Listen To?

Rap or Hip Hop 0.083333333333333 8.3% [ 18 ]
R&B 0.0092592592592593 0.9% [ 2 ]
Rock(Alternative, Clasic, or Any Other Type Of rock You Can Think Of) 0.3287037037037 32.9% [ 71 ]
Emo 0.032407407407407 3.2% [ 7 ]
Punk 0.055555555555556 5.6% [ 12 ]
Other 0.097222222222222 9.7% [ 21 ]
All Different Kinds Of Music 0.39351851851852 39.4% [ 85 ]
Total Votes:[ 216 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

alright so here is my question: does music effect how you dress and act or does how you dress and act effect what music you listen to?

we all know that certain people who dress a certain way listen to a certain kind of music, but why is that? i hang out with lots of diff types of people and i listen to lotz of diff types of music. punkers listen to punk music. emos listen to emo music. gangsters listen to rap. but why? does the music define the people or do the people define the music. if a punker stared listening to rap would he start acting like a gangter? or if he stared hanging out with gothic people would he turn gothic himself? what are your opinions on this?
I think that it goes both ways. On mornings when I listen to some sad music I usually decide to wear darker colors and my mind set for the day is sadder.

Well if the punker listened to a lot of rap music, I'm sure he'd at least pick up some of the terms after a while but I don't think that would happen immediately.
honestly I dont think music changes a person, but with some people it does. i think its all about sterio type-ing, people don't have lables, well they shouldn't, and the type of music they listen to gives them a lable, and makes them want to act like the people singing the music, im sure that the people you call 'gangsters' like more then just rap if you look through theyre music, and so on with everyone else, most people listen to differant types of music, and they are differant genres, and when they listen to the genre they like most, they get a lable, just like the genre. rolleyes
i don't knwo if the music you listen to effects how you act to much. i'm not sure, because i love techno, and thats what i listen to all the time. but i have sort of a goth look, and people always say i'm depressed and think i listen to evenescence. it's wierd. happy music, sad look.
I, seriously, dont see why people have to act and dress a certain way because of the music they listen to.

I agree with you on the "gangsta's listen to rap, punkers = punk' etc etc.

But why must people dress to go along with it?

People who listen to "Emo" music, dress in "Scene" clothing, a lot also seem to act depressed, and the boys seem to start "liking both male and females".

The people who listen to rap... is it really necessary to dress in the baggy pants that seem to be worn down around the knees, in which case they have to hold onto their "regions" just to keep them up. Do they have to always walk around using the "gangsta" speak?

"Punkers"... do they have to always have to have the mohawks and chains, and start to rebel against most things?

It just isnt necessary in my opinion.

I mean, I listen to celtic music. And do I walk around wearing dresses from the Renaissance era? No. Do I walk around speaking like they did in the Shakespearean times? No.

You can still listen to whatever the hell you want and not have to follow the stereotypes that go along with it.
I think it depends on the person. To me, if I listen to a really fast song, i'll probably be listening to it all day. If I listen to a really slow song, i'll probably have an urge to jump over and play on my gamecube.

It kinda affects what I do all day around. It also affects my personality that day.
That's probably because punk, goth, and emo are all musical subcultures. And dress is part of the subculture. So people who listen to one of those genres tend to get involved in the subculture, which gnereally involves dressing in the style of said subculture.

Interesting Phantom

i listen to a lot of different types of music
i listen to country, rap, metal, classic rock, emo, screamo, punk, ska...
pretty much as long as i like how it sounds i'll listen to it....
and people say i dress like and emo/scene kid
*shrugs*
crow_soul
i don't knwo if the music you listen to effects how you act to much. i'm not sure, because i love techno, and thats what i listen to all the time. but i have sort of a goth look, and people always say i'm depressed and think i listen to evenescence. it's wierd. happy music, sad look.
Which is obnoxious because Evanescence isn't goth at all.
My Electronica makes me dance around like a madman. Does that count?
The Porcelain Dame
That's probably because punk, goth, and emo are all musical subcultures. And dress is part of the subculture. So people who listen to one of those genres tend to get involved in the subculture, which gnereally involves dressing in the style of said subculture.

Yes. True. But my friend is goth and she doesn't listen to goth stuff. She listens to things like all American Rejects and Linkin Park and yada-yada.
CyJack
My Electronica makes me dance around like a madman. Does that count?

I guess...
Dark_Flower94
The Porcelain Dame

Yes. True. But my friend is goth and she doesn't listen to goth stuff. She listens to things like all American Rejects and Linkin Park and yada-yada.
Meaning that she's not goth. Simply dressing goth doesn't make you goth.

And eww... Linkin Park. talk2hand
The Porcelain Dame
Dark_Flower94
The Porcelain Dame

Meaning that she's not goth. Simply dressing goth doesn't make you goth.

What your saying is that if a punker doesn't listen to punk means that they aren't a punker.
The Porcelain Dame
And eww... Linkin Park. talk2hand

mad

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out