Welcome to Gaia! ::

I have no qualms whatsoever admitting that I become addicted to things a little too easily.

I've wasted hours of my life playing Pokemon, Ragnarok Online, Trauma Center, Magic: the Gathering and a host of other games which can consume your soul (and in a fair few cases your money) in a short space of time. I love to drink (although definitely not to the level of addiction) and I'm pretty certain that I'm addicted to caffiene.

On the other hand though, I once bought the WoW trial and quit after around a week because the game just didn't get a hold on me, my friend who bought the game at the same time as me managed to become addicted enough to lose his girlfriend.

I've tried smoking, bought a couple of packets and smoked them whilst hanging out with friends having a few drinks, yet don't ever feel the urge to light up when I'm not surrounded by smokers and having a drink, despite the fact that this has been going on for a while.

Which brings me to the point, I don't know what distinguishes the habitual users from the casual, in some cases I fall into one category, other times I fall into the other. It's somewhat confusing really, but begs the question, how the hell does addiction work?

What does it boil down to? Does there need to be some spark early on in the experience that makes you really want it, then long after that spark is gone you still want it because your brain has been wired to it? That might make sense in my case, because I only tried WoW because my friends were playing and I only smoked because I was unwinding, whereas the things I became hooked on, I was interested in from the start and kept going long after the initial spark of interest was gone.

Anyone got an idea of what sparks addiction?
It just runs in the family I suppose.

3,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Person of Interest 200
Consider yourself quite lucky you didn't get addicted to WoW.

I'm going into game design in college so I almost feel obligated to start playing it again confused
Maybe you are just apathetic?

I love your Gundam-kitty.
FlyFF. c:
Well, online-game wise.
But I've heard a lot of people giving my mom good ratings lately.
Everything appeals to different people differently.

I'm quite addicted to WoW. And I do heroin and cocaine. No addiction there, despite my frequent use.

But I seriously can't stop thinking about WoW.
I'm pretty much your opposite.
I get addicted to everything I like almost to the point of obsession.

That's why I'll never try drugs/cigarettes.
User Image

i'm like that with smoking.
i've smoked several times because it was offered,
but it's silly and i really have no desire for one.

and yet i'm addicted to caffiene.
and Harry Potter. D:

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
I don't understand addiction at all. I play WoW, but I play like twice a week on and off. I enjoy it and move onto other things @__o

I think people just need to have some self control and learn not to spend all their time and energy on a single thing.
People become addicted to things because they aren't immune or have no self control to w/e they're being exposed to.
.QuiltQ.
I'm pretty much your opposite.
I get addicted to everything I like almost to the point of obsession.

That's why I'll never try drugs/cigarettes.
That's the thing though. I do get addicted to the point of obsession. Ragnarok Online and Pokemon in particular have stolen years of my life. Yet some of the more addictive things legally available just don't get me hooked.

It's somewhat odd.
Peer pressure and physical and mental harassment, in some cases.

Otherwise,

I like coffee.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who got random addictions. I smoke, play Magic, and am on Gaia on average of 18 hours a day, but I hate WoW, don't smoke weed anymore, and rarely drink, despite 2 years of binge drinking...
I gave up my soul to WoW.
Sometimes, I wish I hadn't.
You're not missing anything, babe.
Don't worry.
;]
You don't get addicted the minute you use it.
That's not how cigarettes work.
That's not how drugs work.
As for your gaming habit, I can't say anything. The only game I'm addicted to is minesweeper.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff