Welcome to Gaia! ::

Familiar Lunatic

People who hate fat people won't read this, because they don't care.
That is because they are lazier even than they think fat people are, but don't look at themselves.

Not necissarily being disgusted by the sight of fat people, because that you can't help. But hating someone because they aren't attractive to look at is evil, plain and simple.

For some reason people think that hating fat people is 'okay,' because being fat is something you think everyone can control. It's true that almost everyone can become thin if they work very, very hard, and do the right things... but you have no idea how uncomfortable that is for some people. Not just 'oooh, I want that cheeseburger' uncomfortable, but physically and psychologically painful. And even if you change your lifestyle, it does not just go away.

Why I say this

I know this because of my mother, who is fat and has been that way all her life, except for three years in the middle of her life. (I'm not fat myself, because I'm lucky, I guess.)

My mother is not a slacker. She is not indolent. She is not 'okay' with being fat - and she has tried all her life to diet and excercize.

Of all those diets - in which she really tried, trust me, I've watched her and I know her - she lost some weight and then gained it all back.

The three years in which she was thin, she was in a program called Overeaters Anonymous. If you don't know what that is, it's a 'diet' which treats eating like an addictive drug. You have a sponsor, and you write out what you're going to eat the day before. You get to have a vegetable and a small portion of protien at every meal, and absolutely nothing else. In between those meals, you can't eat ANYTHING except for one unsweetened cup of tea, and water.

She lost the weight, and kept it off for three years.

She tells me that those three years were like hell to her, comparing the experience to sticking her hand in a fire and having to walk around like that. She was always cold, frustrated, irritable, and hungry. Even after three years. It did not get better.

After she had her second child, the weight came back and stayed on, even when she tried the program again.

Personally, I don't think that people should have to torture themselves to be tolerated by other people.

If you can't have basic compassion for people in that situation, you are worse than unattractive... you're disgusting morally, plain and simple. It's more than being shallow. It is being cruel.
Some people are always going to be harshly overcritical.

I hear you, though. I really do hate it when people see fit to judge a complete stranger based on how they look and then walk up and make some comment. Anytime I see that I think "stfu jerk, what the heck do you know about that person's situation?!"

Example: I have a friend who's very skinny. She is NOT anorexic and never has been. In fact, she eats more than I do and I'm a bit overweight. It's not her fault she's got a crazy squirrel metabolism. She's also a total tomboy and if you were to hand her a fashion magazine, she'd look at you like you just fell off Planet Weird. Well some FREAK came up to her one day at the mall and went on some tirade about how it's disgusting how the youth of today thinks they need a magazine to tell them how to be, and how she should just eat something, and bla bla bla... I'm glad I wasn't there because I'd have torn that b***h a new one.

You're right, people are (in general) much crueler to overweight people than any other body type, but it was the best example I could think of... people really need to just stfu. Meanies.

Familiar Lunatic

SugarLeigh
Some people are always going to be harshly overcritical.

I hear you, though. I really do hate it when people see fit to judge a complete stranger based on how they look and then walk up and make some comment. Anytime I see that I think "stfu jerk, what the heck do you know about that person's situation?!"

Example: I have a friend who's very skinny. She is NOT anorexic and never has been. In fact, she eats more than I do and I'm a bit overweight. It's not her fault she's got a crazy squirrel metabolism. She's also a total tomboy and if you were to hand her a fashion magazine, she'd look at you like you just fell off Planet Weird. Well some FREAK came up to her one day at the mall and went on some tirade about how it's disgusting how the youth of today thinks they need a magazine to tell them how to be, and how she should just eat something, and bla bla bla... I'm glad I wasn't there because I'd have torn that b***h a new one.

You're right, people are (in general) much crueler to overweight people than any other body type, but it was the best example I could think of... people really need to just stfu. Meanies.

Thank you... I really appreciate your speaking here. Sometimes it seems like the entire world is populated by stupid cruel people, and everyone thinks that's the way it should be.
I think we should treat it as a gift, if you were teased yourself then you probably will not tease others.

Be proud of yourself and turn a deaf ear.
Coming from an overweight person.. It's not really helpful to hear people say that, either. Especially considering that food is comfort, even from an anthropoligical point of view. So it generally tends to go like this

Random Jackass: "Why are you so incredible corpulent, you.. you.. Tremendously corpulent person? Rudeness, suggestion that said corpulent person should crawl in a hole and die."
Corpulent person (Me): "Witty riposte." *proceeds to eat, because eating is connected with social interaction and acceptance and therefore comforting."

I really hate that. Flah. Fat people are still people. Telling them they're fat isn't really going to help, and assuming they're lazy just because they're overweight is just stupid. There are ED's where you can't stop eating, and even problems within the body itself that makes you feel like you're never full.
Selete

Thank you... I really appreciate your speaking here. Sometimes it seems like the entire world is populated by stupid cruel people, and everyone thinks that's the way it should be.

I know sometimes it seems that way, but try not to let it turn you too cynical... you'll become one of THEM that way! gonk

I like to think that the number isn't as high as it SEEMS to be, because the mean people are just so loudly obnoxious that it makes it seem like they represent a larger portion of the populace, because the nice and polite people are all just quietly minding their own business so you don't hear from them as much. 3nodding

Good luck. And to your mom I say bravo, and I hope that she learns to love herself exactly as she is, and be proud of how she looks, no matter what anyone says (something I myself am still trying to do, lol... it's hard, but I'd still want that for her or anyone!).

Tell her that she can count her blessings because she's got her eyes, ears, all her limbs, she can walk and talk and think, she has her health... even if it might not seem like it sometimes because of the cruel reactions of thoughtless people... her body is a blessing. A dwelling that allows her to perform life to the fullest.

yes yes! biggrin
I love fat people.
I DESTROY ALL FAT PEOPLE WHO DARE CROSS ME
Personae
I DESTROY ALL FAT PEOPLE WHO DARE CROSS ME

Your brilliant and intellectually stimulating contribution is surely appreciated.
I, personally, believe that people are fat- because they want to be. Call me incompetent or whatever, but that's just how I think. If humans still had to work for food... I'm not even going to go into that.

Don't go thinking I hate fat people now, a lot of my friends and family are. I know a few of them could work a little harder- it's because of all the unhealthy food and lazyness in this society.

Then again- it might be genetics. A person I know is absolutely tiny- (about 90 lbs.) and she eats more than I could in a day. It's funny. And another person I know is a little large, and she eats absolutely nothing. Well. You know what I'm getting at.

Familiar Lunatic

SugarLeigh

I know sometimes it seems that way, but try not to let it turn you too cynical... you'll become one of THEM that way! gonk

I like to think that the number isn't as high as it SEEMS to be, because the mean people are just so loudly obnoxious that it makes it seem like they represent a larger portion of the populace, because the nice and polite people are all just quietly minding their own business so you don't hear from them as much. 3nodding

Good luck. And to your mom I say bravo, and I hope that she learns to love herself exactly as she is, and be proud of how she looks, no matter what anyone says (something I myself am still trying to do, lol... it's hard, but I'd still want that for her or anyone!).

Tell her that she can count her blessings because she's got her eyes, ears, all her limbs, she can walk and talk and think, she has her health... even if it might not seem like it sometimes because of the cruel reactions of thoughtless people... her body is a blessing. A dwelling that allows her to perform life to the fullest.

yes yes! biggrin

You're right, that's why I made this topic - had to get the cynism and bad stuff out. >.<

Thank you, I think you're right... It's just somewhat startling to see it as clearly as it is in the GD.

Bashful Raider

I hate this fat person
only because she is annoying

I do not hate all fat people

this one just happens to be annoying
AND
fat

and she aint got no good personality either

so dont go all " its the inside that counts"
I don't hate fat people

I will never date one, but I would be more than happy to be friends with them
Just like I already am
And I loved my friends to death
Angel on Acid
I love fat people.

QFE.

I'd also like to add that there's nothing wrong with being overweight, except it may create some health problems. But if you can't help it, don't sweat it (no pun intended.)
izzyffi
I hate this fat person
only because she is annoying

I do not hate all fat people

this one just happens to be annoying
AND
fat

and she aint got no good personality either

so dont go all " its the inside that counts"

But isn't that what you're suggesting? That her annoying tendences make her hateable and not her obesity? So then, it would be the inside that counts.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff