Welcome to Gaia! ::

Have you heard of tthe Genocide in Darfur?

Yes 0.68376068376068 68.4% [ 80 ]
No 0.31623931623932 31.6% [ 37 ]
Total Votes:[ 117 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Thieving Prophet

Have any of you heard of this? I've been hearing about it for a few months now, here and there. Frankly its not advertized quite enough. People are more interested in what the stars are doing whats happening in the rest of the world. Its hard to beleive that ALOT of people have no idea whats happening.

Here's a little info:

Darfur is an area in Sudan, Africa, where arab blacks refered to a the janjaweed have been terrorizing non-arab blacks, causing about 2 million people to leave their homes and about 200,000 - 500,000 deaths so far. The targetted blacks mostly live in villages that only have bows and arrows and spears to protect themselves while the janjaweed have machine-guns, grenades and other such things. The government of Sudan is trying to hide the fact that this is happening in its country, and the only remaining 'superpower' of the world, the U.S., is unwilling to help because of their war in Iraq. Now the genocide is spreading beyond the Sudanian borders and starts to affect Chad as well.

I hope to have gotten a message through, to have at least alerted you, if only a few people, about something serious that is happening in our modern world. Everytime I hear about this I just want to raise awareness and I hope you will too.

Discuss such things as ->
"Should the US give up Iraq to help?"
"Is it a chock to hear about such things still happening today?"
Be creative o.o
Unfortunately, this forum isn't for getting a message across, it's about discussion. Did I miss a discussion prompt in your post? What aspect of this should we consider?

Thieving Prophet

O.o Fine, let me get one up there, gimme a sec.

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
well i'm glad someone finaly explained it. since my country isn't doing anything about it is there any thing we can do as individuals?

Thieving Prophet

Well I like to beleive that raising awareness is a good start! Thats why I wanted to do my part in opening this thread >_<:

Dangerous Guildsman

The US help Darfur? While its a nice thought, it's going to end up the same as Iraq. Not only that, but everyone'll feel really stupid when they have to buy "LEAVE DARFUR" shirts to replace the "SAVE DARFUR" shirts.

Darfur can only be handled militarily. Thats it. And the yesterdays flower children (today's blooming idiots) just dont like the military.
Yeah I have heard of it. I even sent some money over so that people could escape. I wish that Oprah and other wealthy people could get together and do something about it. I mean I know there's the whole red project going on. Maybe the could get one for Darfur going. The main reason why both Durfur's government doesn't want our government involved is because we are a tad bit too trigger happy and would only make matters worst. Or so I heard. However when you think about it they are probably right. Just go in there not knowing who was who thus more innocent people would be killed than the ones causing all this mess.

I guess a dicussion question could be if the US did get involved how could our government help and why? Or secondly how can we at least not make a bigger mess of things if we went?
its been happening for years
theyre finally starting to talk about it in the news
really delayed responses

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
M1r4-54n
Well I like to beleive that raising awareness is a good start! Thats why I wanted to do my part in opening this thread >_<:

yeah but i know people are dying. i want to make it stop. i can't listen to a problem without trying to fix it somehow.

Thieving Prophet

There was a good article about in the Dec 11th issue of Maclean's Magazine. There are some things on Youtube about it too, and I recall Oprah doing a few shows on the matter too... But it doesn't seem like enough >_<;

Thieving Prophet

Jaithien
M1r4-54n

yeah but i know people are dying. i want to make it stop. i can't listen to a problem without trying to fix it somehow.
Thats what probably alot of people would say, but what can we really do to directly help them? Flying over there and standing between the two might not help. What to do when the governments who can make a difference won't participate? Its a big question to answer!
The Tragic Mime
The US help Darfur? While its a nice thought, it's going to end up the same as Iraq.

youre a blind liberal who can only see their own views and never really retain any information on the actual situation.
you are a shame to liberals who know what theyre talking about and should be sent off to fire island.

Thieving Prophet

I guess I'm just simple minded! I don't see what would be so hard, after taking care of the financial part, about going there and stopping the janjaweed. Then again I do see a point, they can't just kill the racists they're people too. And the racists might not change their minds... Its a bad situation.

5,100 Points
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
M1r4-54n
Jaithien
M1r4-54n

Thats what probably alot of people would say, but what can we really do to directly help them? Flying over there and standing between the two might not help. What to do when the governments who can make a difference won't participate? Its a big question to answer!
lets send that guy who neogoatied during the bosian thing where two of our people were kidnapped. he could probably get the goverments to intervine. i think it was Sharpton.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is Africa we're talking about.

Anyone who is suprised is delusional. There is no money in Africa--none. When there is poverty, there is famine. When there is famine, there is war.

Why would you want to keep other people alive when you can't feed yourself? You kill the enemy so you can eat their food. It's simple, it's barbaric, it's inevitable.

It's Africa.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces