So, what do you guys think?

Discuss:
Domesticating wild animals
Animals you'd like to see domesticated
More information you might have on this topic
Anything at least somewhat related to all this

Two words.

Hell. No.

Animals NEED to be wild they must have wild blood in their veins. It's just animal cruelty.
Just so you know, dogs were once wild, too. They were bred from wild wolves. Which were more dangerous than foxes. You can look at a cute puppy and say, "I want him!" But wanting a domesticated fox is bad?

From what I recall reading, dogs came to be domesticated by taking advantage of mutual benefits.
It is believed in most animal community circles that wild canines first came to interact with humans by scavenging from them and humans benefited from the protection they afforded and later on, for use in hunting.
Both canids and humans benefited.
Now, if I also recall correctly, the first foxes that were placed in fur farms [where your 'pet' foxes will be available from] were trapped and taken from the wild. [Indeed, the Live Market still exists to this day.]
Hmmm...anyone else seeing the differences in these two scenarios?

I do remembering reading about how dogs interacted with humans by scouring up the leftovers of humans. So a mutualism florished under these conditions, and so humans begin training these 'dogs' to do certain things in exchange for more benefits. Unfortunately in modern time, there has been an increase in animal abuse, disrupting the mutualish first set forth by our ancestors..

It is sad that animals are often treated as novelties these days.

I make an effort to retain some of that mutual beneficism with my own animal companions. They provide me with companionship and help me hunt, I provide them with companionship and an easy source of food and shelter. It works well-we tend to have a healthy respect of one another.
Skeksis

It is sad that animals are often treated as novelties these days.

I make an effort to retain some of that mutual beneficism with my own animal companions. They provide me with companionship and help me hunt, I provide them with companionship and an easy source of food and shelter. It works well-we tend to have a healthy respect of one another.

As it should be....
Roxi_the_Foxy
TeenFoxBoy
Let me just ask, what is a okapis?

An Okapi (Okapis=plural) is a kind of horse/zebra looking mix, though it's closest relative is the giraffe. Try googling some pictures for it if your interested. Until then, ttfn!
Do NOT say they look anything like a horse or a zebra. It really miffs me. They look like giraffes in their body and especially skull structure. Sure, they're the size of a horse. I really don't see zebra; they have white and dark brown on their legs. Not much of a similarity otherwise. But they look like giraffes if anything, smaller, with a shorter (still pretty long though) neck, and a different fur color and pattern.

Whenever people compare okapis to zebras, horses, or donkeys...I want to strangle them. Nothing angers me more. I turn into The Incredible Hulk. O-O
Le Spiffy One
Roxi_the_Foxy
TeenFoxBoy

An Okapi (Okapis=plural) is a kind of horse/zebra looking mix, though it's closest relative is the giraffe. Try googling some pictures for it if your interested. Until then, ttfn!
Do NOT say they look anything like a horse or a zebra. It really miffs me. They look like giraffes in their body and especially skull structure. Sure, they're the size of a horse. I really don't see zebra; they have white and dark brown on their legs. Not much of a similarity otherwise. But they look like giraffes if anything, smaller, with a shorter neck, and a different fur color and pattern.

Whenever people compare okapis to zebras, horses, or donkeys...I want to strangle them. Nothing angers me more. I turn into The Incredible Hulk. O-O

I know how you feel.
I get annoyed when people liken my ferrets to rats.
I love rats [I have eight rescued ratties] but at it is most commonly used for derogative measures it tends to piss me off. rofl

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
Skeksis
Le Spiffy One
Roxi_the_Foxy
TeenFoxBoy

Do NOT say they look anything like a horse or a zebra. It really miffs me. They look like giraffes in their body and especially skull structure. Sure, they're the size of a horse. I really don't see zebra; they have white and dark brown on their legs. Not much of a similarity otherwise. But they look like giraffes if anything, smaller, with a shorter neck, and a different fur color and pattern.

I know how you feel.
I love rats [I have eight rescued ratties] but at it is most comonly used for derogative measures it tends to piss me off. rofl

How in the world can anyone mistake a ferret for a rat? eek
TeenFoxBoy
Skeksis
Le Spiffy One
Roxi_the_Foxy
TeenFoxBoy

I know how you feel.
I love rats [I have eight rescued ratties] but at it is most comonly used for derogative measures it tends to piss me off. rofl

I have no idea. I had one man flat out tell me that my ferret WAS a rat, NO QUESTION about it-And he staunchly refused to listen to any reason whatsoever, even after I had shown him the ferret's teeth and obviously fluffy tail. whee

Bloodthirsty Phantom

16,300 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Battle: KO 200
  • Partygoer 500
Skeksis
TeenFoxBoy
Skeksis
Le Spiffy One
Roxi_the_Foxy
TeenFoxBoy

I know how you feel.

I have no idea. I had one man flat out tell me that my ferret WAS a rat, NO QUESTION about it-And he staunchly refused to listen to any reason whatsoever, even after I had shown him the ferret's teeth and obviously fluffy tail. whee

Wierd, a farret is long and slender, and rat is, well short and pudgy... well sometimes...
TeenFoxBoy
Skeksis
TeenFoxBoy
Skeksis
Le Spiffy One

I know how you feel.

Wierd, a farret is long and slender, and rat is, well short and pudgy... well sometimes...

3nodding
Roxi_the_Foxy
Robin the Aussie
There is no denying the fact a wild animal, is a wild animal.
But years of raising domesticating them reduces the risks of them doing anything, it doesn't eleminate it but reduces yes.
Personally I think it's a good idea, after all Huskies are related to Wolves like their appearance and personnality traits.
It doesn't matter if there isn't a need to domesticate them, if people are willing to pay for a tame Fox of their own then let them be.
There will still be the wild ones such as the Red or Brown Foxes runing around in Europe.

Those are my thoughts, it's a simillar thing in Australia with the Dingoes as well.

I think they already have a result from that one. It's called the Besenjii (breed of dog)
I've looked in to that already it seems to be spelt Basenji for one thing.
Doesn't look like them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basenji

This is the Dingo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingo
Roxi_the_Foxy
Tame Silver Fox

So, what do you guys think?

Discuss:
Domesticating wild animals
Animals you'd like to see domesticated
More information you might have on this topic
Anything at least somewhat related to all this

It's a bad idea. Ever heard the saying wild animals stay wild?
I used to have a pet fox. Actually two. They were stolen from our backyard when they were just kits and by the time they found the people who did it, the foxes had been sold for fur.

....not a good idea.
Hmm. We do the same thing all the time with the species we have. Some genius bred a pug and a weiner dog and sold it as a new breed for twice what the other breeds are worth. It's not like a video game where you have to give up two of your monsters to get the new one. They just collected a few dozen wild ones, fed them, sheltered them, and waited for them to screw. They chose the ones that were the most "tamable" and bred them again.
As for the rest... Well, they said they sell pelts to help carry costs. sweatdrop

I see no reason not to do it. It's not harming the environment, it is furthering science, it is increasing our knowledge of how behaviors can be bred into a species, and if nothing else, it will keep the genetic codeof the foxes mostly intact in case they go exticnt suddenly.

I would personally donate to any organization that wanted to try to domesticate wolverines for use as pets and/or attack animals. That would be better than sharks with lazers on their heads! blaugh
Back! Okay, I'm going to post comments on some of the stuff you guys said while I was gone.
NOTE: This wasn't an intentional personal attack on Skeksis, so I'm sorry if it seems like that. I just noticed while I was writing it that the bulk of this is comments on stuff Skeksis said.
Skeksis

Yes, they would have.
On the off chance that you manage to locate someone who breeds independently[unlikely], be assured that their founding stock would have come from fur farms. Either way, you will have supported a cruel industry.

The fur farms have nothing to do with the domestication of foxes. What fur farms are doing is definitely inhumane, but a pet fox or domesticated fox has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with fur farms.
Skeksis

Now, if I also recall correctly, the first foxes that were placed in fur farms [where your 'pet' foxes will be available from] were trapped and taken from the wild. [Indeed, the Live Market still exists to this day.]
Hmmm...anyone else seeing the differences in these two scenarios?

Once again, there are people like you and I who are worried about the past of a particular animal, and there are people who are open and willing to talk about where they get their stock from.
WARNING: All those in league with PETA should skip over the following.
Just yesterday, I found a fur vendor at a renaissance faire I was working at, so, I decided to go check it out. Low and behold, they were selling fox pelts there. Remembering you guys, I asked the lady where she got her stock from. The lady was very willing to talk and explained that all her foxes came from either a national reserve, where they lived a normal life in the wild, or from a rancher, of whom she knew personally and had seen the acreage the gentleman kept his foxes on. Pleased to see how she answered my question, I asked if I could look at some of the pelts. She took down a couple I had motioned at, which happened to be American grey foxes, and explained how that particular species was different form other foxes. I then noticed that one of the pelts seemed to have a couple holes in it, and asked her what had happened. She took one look at that pelt and remembered that fox exactly (alive and dead). It turns out that the holes in the pelt had come from an insect infestation at the place she sent the hides to be tanned. After about thirty minutes of talking to her, which had me fully confident in her business, I ended up buying one of the pelts, and headed merrily on my way.
*waits for all the PETA people to come back*
The point of this side track was to say, there ARE people who are concerned about how humane their job is. Even people who work with DEAD ANIMALS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff