Welcome to Gaia! ::

HORSE DRAGONS
seifer-z10
Reverend_Jello
HORSE DRAGONS
seifer-z10
All of my faith is placed into the women I love. With out my faith placed in her, I wouldn't be able to do what I am doing.

'Faith' is not an acceptable name for your p***s.
Horse Dragons, you are a biggot and a misanthrope. Seifer, good for you. You have found something to have faith in.
Nice way of shooting Horse down. Haha.

I have a second name, ********.
But you may refer to me as 'Miss DRAGONS' if you please.

Reverend_Jello
the Samael
Reverend_Jello
Are you even listening? How do you know it's not a hallucination of some kind? You could be a catatonic in a hospital hallucinating all of this for all you know. It's not a fact, it's a perception. It's all perception. You have to have faith that you're not just someone who's dreaming, or hallucinating, or have faith that you're even real.
Your teenage pseudophilosophy reeks of solipsism. It sounds to me like you've been watching the Matrix too many times.
Th
I'm done with you.
No, I read Plato's allegory of the cave.

Congratulations, so has every other person who ever took philosophy in highschool.
Seriously that s**t was like in the second class.
What i'm trying to say is you are not smart or special.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and maturity. I'm actually taking a college philosophy course, but it's obvious that teenagers such as you are unable to think at this level yet.
Reverend_Jello
HORSE DRAGONS
seifer-z10
Reverend_Jello
HORSE DRAGONS

'Faith' is not an acceptable name for your p***s.
Horse Dragons, you are a biggot and a misanthrope. Seifer, good for you. You have found something to have faith in.

Reverend_Jello
the Samael
Reverend_Jello
Are you even listening? How do you know it's not a hallucination of some kind? You could be a catatonic in a hospital hallucinating all of this for all you know. It's not a fact, it's a perception. It's all perception. You have to have faith that you're not just someone who's dreaming, or hallucinating, or have faith that you're even real.
Your teenage pseudophilosophy reeks of solipsism. It sounds to me like you've been watching the Matrix too many times.
Th
I'm done with you.

Congratulations, so has every other person who ever took philosophy in highschool.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and maturity. I'm actually taking a college philosophy course, but it's obvious that teenagers such as you are unable to think at this level yet.

And you just read the allegory of the cave?
The colleges in your country must be full of idiots.
Just remember one thing.
No matter how much you try to reassure yourself, i'm better than you in so many ways.
Sheesh, you start by complimenting everyone's virtue of faith, even those who have no faith in the supernatural, and everone turns it into a religious debate, throws insults around, and acts like a bunch of children.
HORSE DRAGONS
Reverend_Jello
HORSE DRAGONS
seifer-z10
Reverend_Jello

Reverend_Jello
the Samael
Th
I'm done with you.

And you just read the allegory of the cave?
The colleges in your country must be full of idiots.
Just remember one thing.
No matter how much you try to reassure yourself, i'm better than you in so many ways.
I didn't say I "Just" read the allegory of the cave in the sense you are speaking it. I'm saying that the allegory of the cave is the reason why I'm questioning existance, not the Matrix. There's also Alice through the Looking Glass and Alice down the Rabbit Hole. Then there are the psychology classes I took which taught me about abnormalities in the brain that cause hallucinations. That's what this was all about.
dictionary.com

faith /feɪθ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyth] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. confidence or trust in a person or thing: faith in another's ability.
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

we consider science to be proof, as it is considered to be an objectively correct way of explaining the laws of existence.

i don't think faith is required to perceive the world around you and accept it as reality.
usually i would read the wall of text... but for some reason... i feel far to lazy for that today.. confused
riloh
dictionary.com

faith /feɪθ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[feyth] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
2. belief that is not based on proof: He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.

we consider science to be proof, as it is considered to be an objectively correct way of explaining the laws of existence.

i don't think faith is required to perceive the world around you and accept it as reality.
It is if you consider the fact that it can only be proven by itself, which makes it no different than the Koran in one particular sense. The Koran proves itself by its own standards of proof, as does science.

Furthermore, as I've said before, our own existance cannot be proven, it must be believed, otherwise we cannot move forward.
Reverend_Jello
riloh
dictionary.com

–noun

It is if you consider the fact that it can only be proven by itself, which makes it no different than the Koran in one particular sense. The Koran proves itself by its own standards of proof, as does science.

Furthermore, as I've said before, our own existance cannot be proven, it must be believed, otherwise we cannot move forward.

Ayn Rand

For Rand, "to be conscious is to be conscious of something," so that an objective reality independent of consciousness has to exist first for consciousness to become possible, and there is no possibility of a consciousness that is conscious of nothing outside itself. Thus consciousness cannot be the only thing that exists. "It cannot be aware only of itself — there is not 'itself' until it is aware of something." Objectivism holds that the mind cannot create reality, but rather, it is a means of discovering reality.

do you not agree?

(and by the way, i'm not just trying to argue; i'm interested. smile )
riloh
Reverend_Jello
riloh
dictionary.com

–noun

Ayn Rand

For Rand, "to be conscious is to be conscious of something," so that an objective reality independent of consciousness has to exist first for consciousness to become possible, and there is no possibility of a consciousness that is conscious of nothing outside itself. Thus consciousness cannot be the only thing that exists. "It cannot be aware only of itself — there is not 'itself' until it is aware of something." Objectivism holds that the mind cannot create reality, but rather, it is a means of discovering reality.

do you not agree?

(and by the way, i'm not just trying to argue; i'm interested. smile )

I don't completely agree, for even conciousness can be off in some way. In a dream, the phrase, "Dogs smell the color nine and therefore we can conclude that happiness is not a pickle and that's how I know we've never been to Abraham Lincoln's forehead" makes perfect sense. What if this world is somehow something similar to a dream, a curtain over our eyes and we actually have a sense of logic in a much bigger world which would make everything that makes sense here make no sense at all?
If you don't believe that science requires faith and can often be taken to a religious level, look at how angry some of the people on this thread got when I said that science was unreliable. They got angrier than some Christians get when people say the Bible is unreliable.
It does not follow that because I must have faith in the fact that my senses are reliable, that I must also have faith in an all powerful invisible man in the sky.

There's no logic there, your argument is fallacious.
Asmodaari Baal
It does not follow that because I must have faith in the fact that my senses are reliable, that I must also have faith in an all powerful invisible man in the sky.

I did not say you had to have faith in an "Invisible man in the sky", nor did I say you had to have faith in God. I was simply stating that everyone has faith in something or another, even if it's not God. Your argument is fallacious because it is based on assumptions.
Reverend_Jello
Asmodaari Baal

I did not say you had to have faith in an "Invisible man in the sky", nor did I say you had to have faith in God. I was simply stating that everyone has faith in something or another, even if it's not God. Your argument is fallacious because it is based on assumptions.
My fault, from my readong of your post I gathered that you were implying that faith in the five senses is on the same level as faith in God, and that therefore it is reasonable to have faith on both.

I apologize if I misunderstood.
Asmodaari Baal
Reverend_Jello
Asmodaari Baal

My fault, from my readong of your post I gathered that you were implying that faith in the five senses is on the same level as faith in God, and that therefore it is reasonable to have faith on both.

I apologize if I misunderstood.
I'm saying that everything is faith. We have to have faith that the world around us is real or we cannot function. The whole point of this was to show that people who believe in science are not "better" than people who have faith in God, nor is the opposite true. I'm trying to show that the two sides of this argument have more in common than they realize, they both have the virtue of faith, and that makes them similar in so many ways, and they can relate as such.
Anyway, I must be going. Work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces