Welcome to Gaia! ::

I suppose its because japanese people forget that black people get offended by that o.o domokun
Delanie D
I suppose its because japanese people forget that black people get offended by that o.o domokun

More like they just don't give a s**t.
EliasEndel

heh well I meant I wont discuss it in this thread as its beyond the scope of hte intended topic, apologies if I worded it somewhat poorly(please see signature)

Not really. If it were so left field then I wouldn't have brought it up. Regardless, if you don't want to discuss it then that's fine. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have any real connection to the topic.

Quote:
Its not that the audiance views the style as negative, it is mearly the way its been represented. there is no assumed racism or even negativity. To be honest I never saw anything that really came off as negative, bad or incensative(based on former american cultural issues japanese would mostly be unaware of) perhaps. Its just the accepted norm, thus its changing as cultural sensativity is embraced thanks to the broader audiance.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Black from Dragon Ball received much negative slurs thrown at him before it really came over here and was heavily edited. I don't think that's something that doesn't have a negative connotation to it.
Outrun The Halfling
EliasEndel

heh well I meant I wont discuss it in this thread as its beyond the scope of hte intended topic, apologies if I worded it somewhat poorly(please see signature)

Not really. If it were so left field then I wouldn't have brought it up. Regardless, if you don't want to discuss it then that's fine. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have any real connection to the topic.

Quote:
Its not that the audiance views the style as negative, it is mearly the way its been represented. there is no assumed racism or even negativity. To be honest I never saw anything that really came off as negative, bad or incensative(based on former american cultural issues japanese would mostly be unaware of) perhaps. Its just the accepted norm, thus its changing as cultural sensativity is embraced thanks to the broader audiance.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Black from Dragon Ball received much negative slurs thrown at him before it really came over here and was heavily edited. I don't think that's something that doesn't have a negative connotation to it.

well I'm admitedly unaware of the case with dbz, *shrug* either way its an isoalted incedent.

heh and as I said, I beleive its a tad beyond the scope of the discussion, for the purpose of this thread, it can be assumed that the japanese vision of beauty tends to be that of whites. The sociopolitical reasoning behind this though is irrelevant to the actual discussion. again, a small point, I'm just fairly picky about that sort of thing.
Outrun The Halfling
EliasEndel

Quote:

Looks like I'm in agreement with you for once.
Because 98% percent of people in Japan are Japanese. But for the record, there _are_ black people in some anime. Utena, Kannaduki no Miko, and Excel Saga are a few off the top of my head.
Well, there aren't many black people in Japan.
NeoMasatarTorlyl
woolandwater
Dramatically_Paused
Lawrence Roy Bloodwing
Dramatically_Paused
Akira Takahashi
There was a black character in the Japanese version of "One Peice" but was colored white by 4Kids for the American version. I don't blame them, though, as the black character was drawn to look like an old Warner Bros. Cartoon. I usually bash 4Kids, but I'll cut them some slack because they just didn't want to get sued.

I think Dragonball had a few, and, I know it's not anime, but Final Fantasy 7 had Berett Barret.

The answer is probably that there aren't many black people living in Japan.

Do not forget Kiros of FF VIII...

He was Indian.

Japanese people didn't believe in black people in the past. Though nowadays they're opening up to other ethnicities beside the asian ones...

Oh right I forgot that any decent character that might African is actually Indian on even a pseudo Earth.... my mistake.

GEOGRAPHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

India is closer to Japan than Africa or other countries that may be predominantly black.

*shakes head*

Um, but weren't all of these Final Fantasy games based on Earth, not the actual Earth? If so, then your claim is not supported.

Hence, pseudo means means FAKE, so we're dealing with a pseudo (fake) Earth.

So the idea of Europe, Africa and Asia exist only as a shadow of each Final Fantasy world.

I know what pseudo means, but thankyou for taking the time to explain? Anywho, moving on...

No, actually my claim kinda does make sense. India is closer to Japan, the country that the makers are in. Plus, let's not forget the effects of the country being closed off for so long to foreigners.

Plus, why b***h about there being Indian characters in the first place? wahmbulance

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
woolandwater
NeoMasatarTorlyl
woolandwater
Dramatically_Paused
Oh right I forgot that any decent character that might African is actually Indian on even a pseudo Earth.... my mistake.

GEOGRAPHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?

India is closer to Japan than Africa or other countries that may be predominantly black.

*shakes head*

Um, but weren't all of these Final Fantasy games based on Earth, not the actual Earth? If so, then your claim is not supported.

Hence, pseudo means means FAKE, so we're dealing with a pseudo (fake) Earth.

So the idea of Europe, Africa and Asia exist only as a shadow of each Final Fantasy world.

I know what pseudo means, but thankyou for taking the time to explain? Anywho, moving on...

No, actually my claim kinda does make sense. India is closer to Japan, the country that the makers are in. Plus, let's not forget the effects of the country being closed off for so long to foreigners.

Plus, why b***h about there being Indian characters in the first place?

But if these places do not exist in the Final Fantasy worlds, then how can anyone be Asian, South Pacific or anything else? Furthermore, I only asked why is it that any character that might be black, is actually a dark asian? Why is that? How does Final Fantasy geography = Earth geography?

Why is it that no one can answer my questions...
EvenAngelsFalter
as long as anime is trendy and popular
everyone will like it

but in the eyes of the art world

anime is crap
the lowest
of the low
pure crap.

*coughs* Popularized and serialized production has a different focus than does individual comissioned artwork or single art pieces not intended for mass production. For artwork by mangaka intended in the fashion that you have spoken of above, please see books such as Der Monde by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto.

While not precisely the same thing as a painting of Rembrandt, it is better to compare Apples with Apples. One does not compare a Disney film with a Picasso. One compares individual painted or airbrushed works with individual painted or airbrushed works. To do otherwise is inappropriate. A very good friend of mine in music teaching said the same thing of comparing Folk pieces with Pop Music pieces (in which he included most modern Rock, Pop, Rap, Hip Hop, etc...) or with Orchestral Compositions. They are widely disparate media, intended for completely different purposes. To treat them under the same umbrella is inappropriate, artistically speaking.

To insist on doing so, in my book, is not only inappropriate, but useless snobbery from those who would prefer to look down upon the hobbies of those who enjoy something.

And, for the record toots, some of us didn't get into this when it was trendy. We're waiting for it to die down a bit and fade back half into the background and subculture where it belongs, so that we're not inundated with idiot teenagers so much anymore. Call me crazy, but I miss the days when it was a pack of pimply 20 something geeks sitting and arguing the theology and philosophy of Eva over pizza while Shinji was screaming in the background. These kids today just don't appreciate the medium the way we brought it to them ages ago. *sighs* Oh well, c'est la vie.
On top of the usual point about there being not many black peopel in Japan, the "generic" anime character is usually a white male character (Well, intended as Japanese but looks white, but it makes little difference for general purpouses).

In most anime, this skeleton can be altered byy clothing and personality tweaks. Female characters are usually less in anime because changing the gender would be adding something special to the skeleton beyond personality characterisation. That's why there are a lot of token female characters around; they seem to be moleded to be female to differentiate them from the base.

In the same way, most artists wouldn't focus on making ethnic diversity in their work unless they feel a character calls for it, because for the most part they would end up molding the character into a stereotype.

Not all anime is like this, but this is just a general comment.
Outrun The Halfling
People stress the negatives in this situation because they're by far overwhelm the positives. Such positive depictions seem to be the exception, not the rule. No one's disregarding the fact they exist. But just because they do exist doesn't mean we should omit the fact that there's a crap load of negative imagery as well.

*sighs* Here

What I am trying to drive home is that, in general, there is no depiction of ethnicity. Where there is a depiction of ethnicity, it is similar to Kiddy Phenil, the creation of a standard, stock, run of the mill ethnicized character from the late eighties and early nineties. Kia Asimiya's work may as well be a drawing board for an aspiring mangaka here or in Japan, given his almost slavish attention to the forms of the classic characters. I could list you the positive to neutral character lists until I was blue in the face, but really, it would border on pointless.

You focus on the negatives and refer to them as the rule. I refer to them as exceptions because depictions of race were the exception and still are, and actively african american characters (as opposed to comical Djinn like Popo) are usually drawn in a fashion similar to Kiddy Phenil, with only a change in the shading of their skin indicating much of anything. The rule stands, based upon the standard forms as they are trained and used in an operative fashion throughout the manga and anime world. They're so consistent as to almost hamper artists on occasion.

In my view, you have simply had a bad experience, having seen characters intended for complete comedic purposes in badly drawn 80s shounen kids stuff. Heck, if you wish to argue 80's styles, you can begin to argue that creatures like Star Platinum were intended on some level to depict african american or african stereotypes, or at the very least Aztec or other multicultural themes. Classic of the style of the Fist of the North Star, the set of comics coming out of the Raijin era bears no 'blackface' style to it, but rather the same statuesque imagery, bearing only changes in styles of dress and coloring of the skin.

You label things, in my view, quite improperly. You're not familiar with the methods of art as they're trained, and you're focused on the negatives to the point that you create rules where rules don't exist. As has been said before, Toriyama's work is not reflective of the entirety of manga, and your choice to take what was clearly intended as a mild mockery of the blackface type, placed on an inhuman immortal djinn who serves a dragon god as a depiction of the african american race... is befuddling.
Lephee
On top of the usual point about there being not many black peopel in Japan, the "generic" anime character is usually a white male character (Well, intended as Japanese but looks white, but it makes little difference for general purpouses).

No.
I grow weary of this line of thought.
Very weary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bssm2.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ami_live_action_3.jpg

Tell me how those two individuals have anything, ethnically, to do with each other.

Anime characters are not drawn as Japanese.
nor as American.
Nor as European.
They are drawn ethnically neutral and with limited gendering.
They are drawn as anime characters.
They're barely human in proportion, for god's sake.

I don't see how this is so hard to comprehend.

Lephee
In most anime, this skeleton can be altered byy clothing and personality tweaks. Female characters are usually less in anime because changing the gender would be adding something special to the skeleton beyond personality characterisation. That's why there are a lot of token female characters around; they seem to be moleded to be female to differentiate them from the base.

...what anime you watchin kid?
*glances at Love Hina*
...seriously... you watchin bad anime.
EliasEndel

heh and as I said, I beleive its a tad beyond the scope of the discussion, for the purpose of this thread, it can be assumed that the japanese vision of beauty tends to be that of whites. The sociopolitical reasoning behind this though is irrelevant to the actual discussion. again, a small point, I'm just fairly picky about that sort of thing.

I think you've stated this too much for it to even be considered redundant but now has entered the zone of pointless.
Yeah.
You don't want to talk about it.
Doesn't mean it doesn't pertain to the given discussion. OTHER people might find this interesting and might want to address it in regards to the current given topic.
Okay?
Okay.
Mein Gott.

Ananel

*sighs* Here

What I am trying to drive home is that, in general, there is no depiction of ethnicity. Where there is a depiction of ethnicity, it is similar to Kiddy Phenil, the creation of a standard, stock, run of the mill ethnicized character from the late eighties and early nineties. Kia Asimiya's work may as well be a drawing board for an aspiring mangaka here or in Japan, given his almost slavish attention to the forms of the classic characters. I could list you the positive to neutral character lists until I was blue in the face, but really, it would border on pointless.

You focus on the negatives and refer to them as the rule. I refer to them as exceptions because depictions of race were the exception and still are, and actively african american characters (as opposed to comical Djinn like Popo) are usually drawn in a fashion similar to Kiddy Phenil, with only a change in the shading of their skin indicating much of anything. The rule stands, based upon the standard forms as they are trained and used in an operative fashion throughout the manga and anime world. They're so consistent as to almost hamper artists on occasion.

EVEN if there's very little depiction of minorities or identifying some sort of ethnicity to a character, that doesn't disregard the fact that when, in older animes, they were to depict people of african decent, they tend to lean towards minstrel-esque characatures. You're failing to comprehend the fact that we're not talking about a general thing. We ARE discussing situations in which they DO assign some sort of ethnic identity. Though it does not hold true to a lot of more recent and newer animes, when you look at the past, that's how it usually was.
That's like saying in older american cartoons, because blacks and native americans weren't represented fairly often, the fact that when they did represent them, they represented them in such stereotypical and almost demeaning type imagery, it was merely an 'exception' because they weren't constantly being depicted.
Well guess what.
Things don't actually work like that.
The point of this discussion IS to point out such isolated incidents BECAUSE the imagery of ethnicity is so rare and to actually analyze them. If you want to go on and be all hunky dory about everything then okay. But actually take the time to fully comprehend WHY people are talking about the subject matter in the way that they are rather than try to assume pointless drivel.
I'm fully well aware that for the most part, anime characters are void of any ethnicity. I've pointed that out SEVERAL times. s**t.

Quote:
In my view, you have simply had a bad experience, having seen characters intended for complete comedic purposes in badly drawn 80s shounen kids stuff. Heck, if you wish to argue 80's styles, you can begin to argue that creatures like Star Platinum were intended on some level to depict african american or african stereotypes, or at the very least Aztec or other multicultural themes. Classic of the style of the Fist of the North Star, the set of comics coming out of the Raijin era bears no 'blackface' style to it, but rather the same statuesque imagery, bearing only changes in styles of dress and coloring of the skin.

I'm not speaking on bad experiences. I'm pointing out examples that are newly stated, as well as examples that have been stated over and over again and ACKNOWLEDGING them. I'm not disregarding the fact that there ARE people who DIDN'T fall into that, what would really appear to be the norm. We're not talking about obscure creatures here, as has already been stated when the subject of Jynx from Pokemon was brought up. We're talking about characters who are SUPPOSED to be depicting actual black characters.

Quote:
You label things, in my view, quite improperly. You're not familiar with the methods of art as they're trained, and you're focused on the negatives to the point that you create rules where rules don't exist. As has been said before, Toriyama's work is not reflective of the entirety of manga, and your choice to take what was clearly intended as a mild mockery of the blackface type, placed on an inhuman immortal djinn who serves a dragon god as a depiction of the african american race... is befuddling.

You know what? I'm not even talking about Toriyama's work exclusively. There are many other artists that I can still remember who have used such imagery who, in all honesty, I'm not going to be able to give a name of. Why? Because I was young, and I didn't think very much of it, so it wasn't going to be something that I'm going to be taking note of. Even when examining old american cartoons, you will see this kind of depiction of minorities. Am I saying this is a bad thing? No. Am I saying that everyone hates black people? No. I'm examining them and asking questions as to why they have to be depicted in such a manner if, apparently, there is not predisposed prejudice against blacks that so many people wish to believe. I'm fairly sick of having to repeat my points, over and over again. I'm not disregarding those who do not depict blacks in such a way in anyway shape or form, so why the hell you have an obsession with treating me as such is absolutely beyond me.
And man, do not bring up any sort if implication that I am not aware of the methods of arts, the methods of selling a product and what have you. I'm very well aware of what cultural standards that may or may not exist, and I'm very well aware of the arts, particularly with things involving cartoons and the like because that's been something that has constantly facinated me for the entirety of my life, and is a field that I plan on going into if my first career choice does not work out completely. You're basing your opinion of my arguement on complete assumptions while completely disregarding where this could actually be coming from.
So for the last time.
I'm not saying that there weren't artists who do actually show blacks or other minorities as actual humanistic type characters. And I'm sure as hell not saying that in today's world, there aren't. Because of all the newer animes and cartoons I've seen, I've seen much better depiction and imagery of those particular groups. But to try and deny the fact that they exist, but to try and disregard that this might have been a cultural 'problem' in not just Eastern Nations, but in the Western World as well is bullshit and naive. So please, with all due respect, stop obsessing over the idea that I do not know they exist. Because, I do, and I've ALREADY brought them up before.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff