Welcome to Gaia! ::

Roms good or bad?

good 0.43478260869565 43.5% [ 20 ]
bad 0.021739130434783 2.2% [ 1 ]
whats a rom? 0.54347826086957 54.3% [ 25 ]
Total Votes:[ 46 ]
1 2 >

I have a friend that has about every rom ever created for the old school nintendo. I will admit that I have a fun time going over to his house and owning him in any game that he chooses, but his mom says "Its Illegal". Do you think it should be OK to have roms of games they dont make any more? Or do you disagree?
The PS2 has an emulator to play playstation games.
The X360 has an emulator to play some xbox games.

What your friend is using on his computer(Right?) is a hacked emulator that uses the SNES or whatevers BIOS. That is illegal.

Emulators that utilize a custom made BIOS to run games(an emulator of an emulator) are completely legal.

Those use the games that people buy to play. Unless he has paid the creators of the games money for the roms(which I don't think you can.), it is stealing.
My girlfriend's dad has every single N64 game emulated. All of them.
CGI
The PS2 has a PS1 emulator.
The X360 has an emulator.

What your friend is using on his computer(Right?) is a hacked emulator that uses the SNES or whatevers BIOS. That is illegal.

Those use the games that people buy to play. Unless he has paid the creators of the games money for the roms(which I don't think you can.), it is stealing.
you must live an awfully boring life

*downloads music*
Hazy bear
CGI

*downloads music*
I actually do, but it's probably not what you are thinking "awful" is. xD

I'm a 20 year old girl, self-sufficient money wise, plus I talk to people on Gaia. I guess I do have a boring life though.^_^;
I don't get the fuss for old gen consoles like the megadrive and snes
The games and consoles arn't made anymore so the company isn't losing revenue

I can understand for current gen consoles like playstation 1/2, XBOX, etc

But older console games would be all but forgotten if not for emulation
Illegal though it may be, I still like sitting at my computer reliving the old times with classic mario games along with games I never even heard of. I, for one, am all for ROMS
I use emulation purely for systems I had but broke, and I don't download games I don't own (thankfully I own quite a few). Either way, it's illegal if you don't own the original carts and people who use EMUs to play playstation/2 games and the like are just cheap idiots who don't want to spend a little cash to get a better quality experience.
There's nothing wrong with emulation.... I have a SNES and an NES emulator.. I download games like everyday and I don't give a s**t about whats gonna happen... I know a lot of people that also download roms, and not a single one of them has gotten in trouble.. oh and think about this... If you don't think downloading songs is bad then why would you care about roms? pirate mrgreen
Kahn-Bushima
There's nothing wrong with emulation.... I have a SNES and an NES emulator.. I download games like everyday and I don't give a s**t about whats gonna happen... I know a lot of people that also download roms, and not a single one of them has gotten in trouble.. oh and think about this... If you don't think downloading songs is bad then why would you care about roms? pirate mrgreen
I pay for my music.
I'm so uncool. xD
Sure.

Where am I going to find a copy of KoF 94 with out emulation being my only chance?
If I can get caught for acquiring something illegally, I don't do it. If I won't get caught, I'll do it. Morality doesn't enter into it. It's survival of the smartest.

Interesting Dabbler

hmmmm what interesting posts but I follow the main rule "everythings legel unless you get caught" if you think the roms are stealing just think of what else goes down on the net
Emulators are all 100% legal
Roms are 99.8% all illegal (There are some demo-roms or what-so-ever)

I can't wait until they do a working ps2 emulator for PC... domokun
Or a working N64 emulator for PSP.

To get roms use Limeware n_n

Most of players do it , why to waste hundreds of dollars to play games when you can do it free =/
Or sometimes you just wanna check the game out =]
Hazy bear
CGI

*downloads music*
i download music sometimes too,just mostly stuff i like

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out