Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should employers test their employees for drugs?

Yes. Employers have a right to 0.45454545454545 45.5% [ 20 ]
No. It is an invasion of the employees privacy 0.54545454545455 54.5% [ 24 ]
Total Votes:[ 44 ]
1 2 3 >

I am taking a health class in college and I need to do a discusion on drug testing in the work place. I would like to know what you think about companies testing their employees for drugs. Do you think that it is an invasion of the employees privacy or not. Please answer the poll and, if you want to, please respond. Thanks.

NEW!

When I was looking for information on drug testing in the workplace, I found two intresting facts;
*40% of employees that use drugs REPOTED having stole from their employer or coworker
*employees that use drugs cost their employer $7,000-$10,000 more than employees that do not use drugs
I find it is- drugs are a part of their private lfe, whether you agree with them or not & it is not the employers business to enforce mrals on their employees

Wheezing Sex Symbol

If their bussiness is being affected by problems that could be caused by drug useage, employee's should than be drug tested.

But No if the bussiness is perfectly fine and nothing is going on.

they should have the right only when it is truely needed, which can be decided by an observer to see if they should have a drug test.
I don't mind having to be tested for drugs. Now that I'm sober (three years!), I don't have anything to worry about. Not to mention that a lot of workplaces use machinery that you need to be in your right mind to use. I have trouble working with machinery when I haven't gotten enough sleep; if I were high, forget about it.

As for an invasion of personal privacy, considering that illegal drugs are, well, illegal, I say you give up your privacy when you decide to use. If the cops have a reason to search you and -do- find something on you, that's not an invasion of privacy, and you -will- get in trouble for it.

When you decide to do drugs, you're putting the well-being of yourself and others at risk, especially if you're doing a job requiring all your mental faculties or coordination. Even if you don't care about what you're doing to yourself, you're putting others in danger, and that's a liability for the company. They can't risk it, and in most places I've worked, you -will- be terminated as soon as the results come back positive. And I don't blame them. The safety of others is my top priority all the time.
littlelivy
I am taking a health class in college and I need to do a discusion on drug testing in the work place. I would like to know what you think about companies testing their employees for drugs. Do you think that it is an invasion of the employees privacy or not. Please answer the poll and, if you want to, please respond. Thanks.

I think if an employee is performing a public service such as an airplane pilot, or a taxi driver, then they should be tested. However if the only person they endanger is themselves then I think drug testing is an invasion of privacy. Their is no reason for an office to drug test their employees unless their is reasonable cause for the testing such as innappropriate behavior or sudden poor performance, and any other flag that signals drug use. Otherwise leave them alone. But as I said before, if they employee would endanger others lives beside himself, then they SHOULD be tested.
If it affects how wel;l they work in any way, then yes, employers should be able to test their employees
Yes employer should test a person for drugs, do really want a stoned cashier giving you less of your change or scanning the same item more than once.
A lot of jobs, if you use drugs on the job then you may not be able to function properly which, at best, is as good as stealing from your employer and, at worst, could cost someone their life or health. Anything that will disuade you from using drugs on the job is acceptable, in my eyes. Though I do think the company should be able to demonstrate a resonable suspicion that you've been using drugs before they're alowed to test you.
I think it's a plus. I mean, if a person does drugs, it's not very likely *even though I know this does happen* that the worker is gonna stop doing them while they are at work, I'm talking about cases where they are gone for a long time. And in cases where they can walk to work, what's stopping them from getting high on the spot and working? It's putting themselves, other employers and costumers in danger. So heck yes, test em.
I'm okay with it if they have a legit reason for testing, such as meeting up stoned at work. If I was an employer I would definitely not like that. But as a standard check I would consider it a bit touchy, people do lead various private lives. The company has to be affected somehow for it to be legit in my opinion.
As long as the employe is doing their job, well!, I see no reason to test for drugs.
employers have every right to drug test their workers. after all, if you had someone that worked for you caught in a drug bust or something, and then that was plastered all over the media with your company's name stuck to it, how stupid would you feel for not having a drug test?

What I think is silly is the drug tests they've been doing in my school district. we have random drug tests for everyone in EXTRA CIRRICULAR ACTIVITIES. now my question is, why would you test in the ECA's when most kids who do drugs dont give a rat's a** about ECA's? wouldnt you want to test those kids instead?

the world is backward, I'm telling you.
Super_Fraggle
I find it is- drugs are a part of their private lfe, whether you agree with them or not & it is not the employers business to enforce mrals on their employees

but it affects there work life, if the empoye dosent stop them from drug use they will lose valuble man power, and usaly dead weights are not good for the compenese
only if its affecting the work

ive used drugs before- but i still kept up my working standards, is that wong???

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Why do they only test for drugs? Is alcohol include? (Like drugs, being drunk can effect how a person works.)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff