Welcome to Gaia! ::

This board has played a magnificent role in bringing those of differing beliefs and non-beliefs together and learn about each other by giving each other a safe place to examine deeper our own beliefs, peel back our own onions, examine our own prejudices, oppenly share and be real.

One of the things that I have learned is that most all of us have a similar passion to contribute to making the world a better place and that the basic morals of each of us are pretty much the same. (I did not believe that about Atheists before I learned from this Board and new Atheist friends.)

Here are some things that I think we - for the most part - all of us hold in common - while each of us may be better at some of these than others.

Don’t do things that cause physical hurt:
• Kill - (but what about Capital Punishment, Pre-emptive War, Abortion?)
• Steal
• Damage someone else’s possessions
• Physically hurt someone
• Force sex on someone
• Transfer any form of disease to someone else (AIDS, STD’s, etc)

Don’t
• Say things that hurt someone else
• Lie/deceive (be a hypocrite)

Do what one can to help make the world a better place
• Listen to others
• Treat others with respect (how about Gays, Atheists, Muslims, etc?)
• Care
• Kindness
• Have integrity
• Be helpful
• Be empathetic
• Be compassionate
• Give of ones money to others/causes
• Give of ones time (mentoring, coming along side dying, good causes)

I now know/understand that it doesn't take being a Christian to exhibit the positive characteristics listed above.

What we have not discussed is what governs our sexual manifestations (what we do/how we act sexually).

My experience is that those who preach most piously about sex are the ones to worry most about leaving alone with ones daughter.

Anyone who tells me that they don't experience ambivalence/struggle/mystery relative to our sexuality - I am not likely to believe.

I was a 32 year old virgin - and although I had been very active and in leadership in converative churches - that was not why I was a virgin (and no - it wasn't because I could not get any girl interested )

If I had a son or daughter - I certainly would advise them to responsibly explore their sexual compatiblity with a potential spouse before they get married.

It seems like much of our sexual morality comes from religion. I believe that there is little congruency and great hypocrisy between what conservative religious people preach/claim and what they do (or would try to do if they thought they could get away with it). How could anyone be real and attach Jimmy Carter for saying that he has sometimes lusted in his heart.

I know that this is an area that makes people squirm and are not likely to be totally real and forthcoming. I am a transparent person in every area in my life other than my sexual relationship with my partner. I do that out of respect for my partner. I would actually rather have a safe place to be totally real - and then express my realness.

Discuss:

For those who do not believe in religion and/or the literal Biblical directives or the non-Biblical but religiously driven directives (i.e. Catholic heirarchy) - what is the basis for how you manifest your sexuality?

For those who use the Bible as what governs their sexuality - do you follow the Bible literally and completely - and if not - how do you choose?

WALLS OF TEXT
Dude is they had olympics for people who could copy/paste.....

Well, nevermind.

Can't give you that much credit.

Copy/pasting articles is still gay though.
Um.

I'm asexual because nothing can fit.
I think you belong in the ED, not the GD. People usually just complain about how much you've written. But, once again, I like most of what you've said.
I never saw CONSENTUAL sex as a moral issue. To me, there's nothing immoral about casual sex, let alone sex within a relationship. The call for some restraint, I feel, comes from the need to be safe and healthy. So, I've always advocated safe sex, but I figured abstinance was a personal choice, and choosing not to abstain did not make you dirty, slutty or bad in any way. That's my view, and I'm an athiest. (For the record, I didn't have sex until I was nearly 19, so for anyone who's going to say I'm a slut, I'm not.)

6,375 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
COPY PASTA f**.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I took on the following philosophy:

God only cares about one thing.
That you respect the gift he gave mankind.

LIFE!

Not just your own, but the lives of others just the same.
You do that, then you'll never steer wrong with him.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff