Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tattoos & Piercings

Mutilation 0.10526315789474 10.5% [ 2 ]
Expression 0.89473684210526 89.5% [ 17 ]
Total Votes:[ 19 ]
1 2 >

Dapper Cutesmasher

There's no harm in believing. . .

Is it me, or is society WAY too uptight?

In search of a third tattoo to add to my collection, I recently took a stroll by my uncle's tattoo parlor. Walking in, sketch in hand, I go to the receptionist. As I asked for the wait time, she said, "Are you twenty-one years of age miss?" So I stared at her.

She presents me with a piece of paper, which bears the biggest piece of bullshit I've ever read. The legislation of [My State of Residence] has passed a regulation that anyone who wants to be tattooed / pierced / etc, has to be 21 or older. What ever happened to 16 with parent's consent?

DxCs:
Bullshit Laws / Rules / Regulations

Tattoos / Piercings - Mutilation, or Expression?

So why not start today?
it's expression.
but if you wanna get a tattoo.
there's always pablo on that street corner.
Driving at 16 is stupid. I think we should get our learners permit at 14 and start driving at 15. :3

Also, I don't like Tattoos. They sound painful emo
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I'm searching for my 11th tattoo as well when I get money... Where I live now it's 17 or younger with parental consent and in Washington State it's 18 years or older. In Virgina it's 21 years or older as well...
Got pierced at 16 with my mom there, since it was her birthday gift to me, and 4 tattoo's by age 18.

Every tattoo has a meaning for me so I consider it art.
Its expression but I agree with the age limit...tatoos are permanent and younger kids are more likey to get a tatto without really thinking it through so older is probably better. I think 18 with parent consent should be enough though.
Ill pick D) All of the above.
Shall We Tango
Driving at 16 is stupid. I think we should get our learners permit at 14 and start driving at 15. :3

Also, I don't like Tattoos. They sound painful emo

You can still get your liscence that young in your state? Your words make sense, but the fact of the matter is that young drivers get blamed for driving irresponsibly and having accidents and people automatically assume it has to do with age, when it's really all about experience. If I recall correctly, now in Maine you have to be 16 to get your learner's permit, making it nearly impossible to get a liscence very long before you're 17. And believe it or not there are actually some parents here who seem to think people shouldn't have a liscence until they're adults. confused

EDIT: The real point of this is... People tend to become "high and mighty" once they're adults, and seem to forget what it's actually like to be a kid, even start blaming age for deeds that are done because of experience, intelligence, or moral issues that are irrelevant to the subject of how long the people have been alive, but to what they've been taught and specific scenarios they have or have not been exposed to before. Though honestly, I do think it seems stupid to get tattoos as young as 16 simple because of the environment and sociological norms you're put in at that age, and how likely those two things combined are to make you try for something stupid like the name of your current significant other or the logo of some band noone will remember in five years.
Twenty-one?
That's rough. Over here it's seventeen with parental constent, and eighteeen by yourself.
Some places will even give you one if your sixteen.
i have two tattoos, working on my third now. i have had them for years absolutely love them.

Gaian

450 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
its not mutilation its art. and its beautiful. i am getting alot of work done. i have my ears gaged to a half inch and im getting my snakebites and my eyebrow and tongue peirced. and im getting my entire torso and half sleeves tattooed.
its experssion i think at 16 you can be periced. If the tatto has meaning to it then go for it but if not then well....
WTF! Write your congressman. Right now.

You can be drafted at 18, but no tattoo?

Yeah, heres a gun. Go die for your country.
Oh yah but you have to cover that artwork, its not respectable because your not 21.

kyuuxz's Queen

Hungry Blob

23,300 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Launch Party 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I'm getting a monroe here soon.
And I'm 16. Hah.

But I think piercings and tattoos are a great way to express yourself.
I want to get a tattoo when I'm 18.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces