Welcome to Gaia! ::

I learned what little I know about cars from my dad, and my brother, and half the time that information conflicts with what the other person says. I have learned a little from the internet, but that's mostly just s**t about my own car. I'm fairly limited because I tend to be fairly hands on, and when I ask someone to show me the ropes, they just fix whatever problem I'm having and leave me out of the loop. I want to do things myself, but if I ******** up, I'm out of a reliable ride for work temporarily. And I hate to say it, but forget asking any other chicks I know about cars, they know less than I do, and I haven't actually met one IRL who does know anything.

So where did you guys get your know-how from? Did you just tinker around or did you have someone teach you?

Dangerous Sex Symbol

Learnt a lot from my dad, when I was younger I helped him build a drag car & helped with maintenance on our street cars.

Most of what I know though I learnt online from various forums and what not.... mostly just researching before I do anything 3nodding

Familiar Codger

To be honest, I learned a lot about cars from taking apart lots of them. I used to have some less than reputable friends and we would permanently borrow other people's cars without notice.

I never had a lot of money though, so, if I had car problems I'd fix it myself, and I really enjoyed it. I liked sport driving, and so sometimes a driver finds a car's limit and has to adjust the car. That's when I learned how to positively modify a car, rather than just mend it. You learn how to diagnose and repair a problem at a time though, and it takes years.
Bacokatt
To be honest, I learned a lot about cars from taking apart lots of them. I used to have some less than reputable friends and we would permanently borrow other people's cars without notice.

I never had a lot of money though, so, if I had car problems I'd fix it myself, and I really enjoyed it. I liked sport driving, and so sometimes a driver finds a car's limit and has to adjust the car. That's when I learned how to positively modify a car, rather than just mend it. You learn how to diagnose and repair a problem at a time though, and it takes years.
I'm from the south, so the only modding done here tends to be done by rednecks jacking up their hideous trucks.

I have a lot of fun on the times where I can actually have fun with my car and drive around without having to worry about going to work or school the next day if I ******** up.
I'm in the same spot you were though, in terms of lack of money... And tools... And just about everything else. Last week I used a pair of pliers to change out the broken headlight on my car because the one person who has tools in my family has them locked up and wasn't there to unlock their toolbox... lol
I don't think I'll ever have to worry about my friends borrowing my ride. My best friend is terrified of cars, and her twin sister is even more terrified of the fact that my car is stick. My guy friends won't go within 5 feet of a car, and definitely won't ride with me anywhere... I don't think I'm that bad, but maybe I am...

Wistful Dreamer

i'm currently working towards a certificate or degree in auto repair ^^ so i'm sure i will learn lots in the future.

but from what I hear and have learned, you can learn a lot from watching (good) youtube videos, or joining a forum for your specific car or brand.

Other people say they learned from taking apart a car and putting it back together. That sounds awesome if you have somewhere to put it like a garage or even a tarp.

whatever you can do to learn will add up I think.

so far what i know has been mostly from the internet and some auto textbooks i borrowed from the library. And my car-loving boyfriend. At least now in class when the teacher mentions "bore" or "piston" or "wiring harness" I actually can visualize what he's talking about lol~

Wistful Dreamer

buggsie blue
I learned what little I know about cars from my dad, and my brother, and half the time that information conflicts with what the other person says. I have learned a little from the internet, but that's mostly just s**t about my own car. I'm fairly limited because I tend to be fairly hands on, and when I ask someone to show me the ropes, they just fix whatever problem I'm having and leave me out of the loop. I want to do things myself, but if I ******** up, I'm out of a reliable ride for work temporarily. And I hate to say it, but forget asking any other chicks I know about cars, they know less than I do, and I haven't actually met one IRL who does know anything.

So where did you guys get your know-how from? Did you just tinker around or did you have someone teach you?
...hey you're a girl! me too XD I replied up there ^

Don't ask me car questions yet though, ask me when i am a honda master tech AHAHAHA.
Kovva
buggsie blue

...hey you're a girl! me too XD I replied up there ^

Don't ask me car questions yet though, ask me when i am a honda master tech AHAHAHA.
Yay! Someone who doesn't dangle below the belt!
I have a Coablt, so I guess I should start with that, but I end up helping with other cars too.

Original Regular

An old Japanese man. He told me, "Wax on, wax off Daniel-san."
My dad, experienced mechanics, experts, youtube, car shows, discovery, the internet.....

I know a lot (even people working in a pro-tuning shop ask me how the hell I can now so much that I can talk about this with person A and then go into detail on something entirely different with person B), but every time an expert opens his mouth, I listen. That's how you learn most really, interacting with people who've been breathing and sleeping something all their lives.
started with magazines, then auto class in High School and automotive shops that took me in as apprentice. Than automotive college and working in the industry for about 5 years. Learning hands on and older techs teaching me while at work and just tinkering with my own stuff and friends cars from there on. Also forums, youtube, books ect... all started from 1 car ride in a civic over 10 years ago before it became what is known today as slow and rice and a magazine i was lent.
I went to school for it (didn't finish) and worked in the field. I was assistant manager of a chain shop for a while.

All I have to say is.. do not get your oil changed for 20 bucks at a chain shop. If you knew how little most of these oil change kids knew you would piss your pants that they were touching your car.

Also, I'm a ******** Honda chick, sad to say. Honda family, really. I'm planning on j35 swapping my eg coupe near the end of the summer, and my husband has an h2b 5spd 4wd CRV. H23a (the good ones.. from accord si-r in japan).

So, yeah, if you wanna talk to a chick that knows about cars, you can talk to me. I'm not a ******** guru or anything though. I don't have every engine and trans option memorized from a 1968 chevelle or bullshit like that.

Friendly Bookworm

How I learned:
- Dad
- Family who in which every male has something to do with cars.
- Internet
- The manual to your car.
- Actually taking the free time with said manual and looking around your car and looking at things, especially under the hood.

Rainbow Explorer

i started off reading the owners manuals and manuals for cars the family owns then i went to general books about car systems and then i went to tehnical school

im still in technical school but im fairly close to graduating our teacher is damn good our text book is pretty good and our homework simulation software works real good but im gonna credit most of my knowledge to in in the classroom with my teacher hes in his late 50's is ASE master certified has worked for various manufactures through out his life and if there something we students are having trouble with hes not afraid to jump in and either give us tios and pointers or show us how to do it and he always answers our questions

not to mention our school is pretty strict like class is 8-am -2:30pm no lunch breaks or nothing but our teacher purposely breakes the rules and lets us get a 30 min lunch break between 11;30 and 12

Rainbow Explorer

The Wolf in Your Bed
I went to school for it (didn't finish) and worked in the field. I was assistant manager of a chain shop for a while.

All I have to say is.. do not get your oil changed for 20 bucks at a chain shop. If you knew how little most of these oil change kids knew you would piss your pants that they were touching your car.

Also, I'm a ******** Honda chick, sad to say. Honda family, really. I'm planning on j35 swapping my eg coupe near the end of the summer, and my husband has an h2b 5spd 4wd CRV. H23a (the good ones.. from accord si-r in japan).

So, yeah, if you wanna talk to a chick that knows about cars, you can talk to me. I'm not a ******** guru or anything though. I don't have every engine and trans option memorized from a 1968 chevelle or bullshit like that.
but chevelles are the nicest muscle cars ever made atleast as far as Chevrolet is concerned also 70 was the best year for chevelles because they came with the super sexy very powerful gas chugging no bullshit 454 big block that thing

also knowing the engines and trans combos for classic iconic muscle cars isnt bullshit just because your not into them does not mean you can devalue them there are plenty of people that need to know about them because there sought after today for restorations and some people even go far enough to buy the classic body shells which you can still buy by the way and build clones based off original specs none of that would be do able without knowledge of what was in the legends

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff