Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
(tl;dr version at the bottom of this post.)

Ok, so here's the thing. One of my tires (right-front passenger side) got a big hole in it the other day while driving. I took it to the dealership (I bought the car there and have some long-running deals through them). Anyway, they also advised the other front tire should get changed too. I agreed with that because it was also looking a bit low even though I did put air in it. The back 2 tires looked real good though.

Ok, so the guy tells me my tires are not in stock and it would be over $800 the front pair of tires (supposedly my car uses special/big tires that they only keep in a factory an hour+ away). He left and "spoke to his boss" and claimed he could get me a deal for "economy" tires that would be $400 for a set of 4. He also added in that the tires currently on my car are expected to last some 25,000 miles. My car is at something like a little less than 22,500 (IIRC). It'll take me probably another 4-6 months to get to 25,000.

However, since it was getting somewhat close to 25,000, I told him to go ahead and do that.
(Keep in mind that my back tires were in very good condition.)

Ok, so I come back home from the dealership and look at my new tires...only to see a bunch of white paint and other colors and things. I just spent over $400 for new tires and they look used...or at least not taken care of very well while they were sitting in the factory...

So, now I have a small bit of buyer's remorse (or 20/20 hindsight) and am wondering if they could have just let me buy the 4 new economy tires, only install the 2 front ones, and then leave 2 new tires for me in my trunk (I have a hatchback, so they'll easily fit). Then I can store those tires in my garage (since the dealership doesn't keep them in stock) and then keep using the old back tires on my car since they were in very good working condition and then when they crap out, I can bring the new tires to the dealership to have them properly installed. Would they even do that?

=================================
tl;dr version:
What do they do with tires they get off of cars that are still in good working condition? I'm sure you've seen some of those "buy 3 tires, get 4th tire free" deals. If your car doesn't need all 4 tires, but they install them anyway, what do they do with your good tires?
=================================

On top of it all, they charged me a "disposal fee" for the good tires they took off the back of my car. stare
wow. tires, one of the biggest items that people take for granted. I would say yes you could've gotten the fronts replaced only and kept the other two or have the four replaced and kept the 2-3 old/used ones instead of 'selling'/'dispose' them. no pair of street tires cost $800 even when marked up and you said you got a spare in the back so i even doubt that they're run flats. 4 for 400 is about right for brand new tires.

I wouldn't get or do tires at dealers unless you get some crazy good deals or connections. I usually order online for brand new tires and for tire damage I would try and have it repaired at a local tire shop. If it's sidewall damage you're sol and gonna need a new tire and replacing it as pairs or your alignment will be off.

I don't know how much annual miles you do but you can check the tread life on your tires few easy ways. first is the penny coin, have the top of the presidents head against the tire between the treads and if you can see the top of his head, you need new tires. second are these perpendicular rubber 'bars', most tires have these. they're perpendicular to the treads and will eventually become 'flushed' or even with the treads which will mean you'll need new tires.

tl;dr yeah you screwed up but it's not the end of the world.

edit; oh yeah and what they do with old/used tires they would just resell them to a 3rd party, if they're too worn out, they dispose of them properly, like how some places charge disposal fees when you bring in your old oil from a DIY oil change.

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
ArykLoo
no pair of street tires cost $800 even when marked up

If it helps, my car is a 2011 Scion TC. It has 18-inch wheels. I don't know much more than that.

ArykLoo

I usually order online for brand new tires

And a person can just bring those new tires to repairshops and they'll put them on for you without needing to have bought the tires through them first? ninja
Robert Ramos
ArykLoo
no pair of street tires cost $800 even when marked up

If it helps, my car is a 2011 Scion TC. It has 18-inch wheels. I don't know much more than that.

ArykLoo

I usually order online for brand new tires

And a person can just bring those new tires to repairshops and they'll put them on for you without needing to have bought the tires through them first? ninja

Tire rack is the site I used to buy my tires. I bought a full set of winter tires and steelies for my recently new(to me) car. Average price for great new tires are about 100-110 each. Cost vary from cheap walmarts 60 to +160 run flats. My rims were 50 bucks each. Bought a set of steelies cause the tire size I wanted wouldn't fit on my 17s and since they're gonna be my winter set, I wanted them in a different size and more weight than aluminum. They mount them for free and can deliver to your house or any auto shop(that does mount and balance if only tires) of your choice. If you just wanted tires, you can have them deliver to xxxxx and when they arrive you drive there and youll pay them to mount and balance them and you can choose to keep the old tires or have them get rid of them for you. I had mine mounted and balance before they arrive at my house so I just changed out my wheels altogether and keep my summer sets until spring comes around and switch them again for seasonal purposes.

Tdlr; new tires about 100 each. Tirerack is what I buy from. Yes you can have them deliver to house or auto shop and you pay them the labour to do the work and you go on your way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff