Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ok so the thing is my friend has a Nissian Skyline R34 with a NA (natural aspirated) RB20DE engine. He wants to put twin turbos on which i advised against since he only really wants it to max out at 300 HP and to get the ladies. I have been trying to find builds on other car forums on a RB20DE turbo conversion with no real luck. Hoping there are some car nerds outs here on Gaia that might help. Only thing i can think of is getting the OEM turbo parts from a RB20DET.
what i wanna know is why theres an rb20 in an r34
Well i wanna say cuz the Skyline R34 GT comes stock with a RB20DE in Japan. An the GT-T comes stock with a RB20DET. If im right its the GTS-T/GT-R that got the larger RB26DETT engine. I may be wrong though. (My friend and I are currently stationed in Japan)
DielManar
Well i wanna say cuz the Skyline R34 GT comes stock with a RB20DE in Japan. An the GT-T comes stock with a RB20DET. If im right its the GTS-T/GT-R that got the larger RB26DETT engine. I may be wrong though. (My friend and I are currently stationed in Japan)

nope
no r34s came w/ an rb20 from the factory
rb20 is an older motor from the r31
ED0M DOG
DielManar

nope
no r34s came w/ an rb20 from the factory
rb20 is an older motor from the r31

Well what i do know is that he has a R34 GT.

"The RB20E engine was discontinued in the R34 base model (GT), and the RB20DE, after last being used in the R32 Skyline, was reintroduced in updated NEO guise. The R34 GT powered by the RB20DE NEO, coupled with a 5-speed gearbox, became the most fuel-efficient straight-6 Skyline to date (of any shape)

Models:

* GT – 2.0/2.5 L RB20DE NEO I6, 155 ps (114 kW)
* 25 GT, GT-X, 2.5 L RB25DE NEO I6, 200 ps (147 kW)
* GT-V 2.5 L RB25DE NEO I6, 177 kW
* GT-FOUR – 2.5 L RB25DE NEO I6, 200 ps (147 kW) 4WD
* GT-T – 2.5 L RB25DET NEO turbo I6, 280 hp (206 kW, 343 N m)"

Either way I am just trying to found out if you can boost a NA engine.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Why not make the damn s**t?
Not that hard

Do your measurements, plot the routes, make sure your internals are nice and solid and find someone to tune, then just make all the s**t you need to
Cool idea too bad we are both in the military and dont have access to shops like you would in America since we are in Japan. It seems ill just keep searching other sites because none of you are answering the question on if he can turbo his NA RB20DE.

Prob be cheaper for him just to buy a used RB25/26DET and get that installed.
Thay get side track easy here. But the sort answer is yes you can. You have to check you compression to make sure you don't need to lower it and you need to make sure you have foraged internals.
Thanks appreciate the help. Did some research on it and it does seem like it be about the same price for him to just swap in a new, but from what he tells me he wants to run the engine into the ground. Not really sure why but adding a turbo to a stock NA would do the trick.
DielManar
Thanks appreciate the help. Did some research on it and it does seem like it be about the same price for him to just swap in a new, but from what he tells me he wants to run the engine into the ground. Not really sure why but adding a turbo to a stock NA would do the trick.

Yep, NA-T will run that block straight into the ground. That's for sure. Don't do forged internals, don't lower compression, run 1.5 bar boost. One pull that's all you'll need to run that thing six feet deep. wink

If you don't want to run it into the ground, do the opposite of what I just said. Protect your car, keep it minty.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Why would I say to make a turbo setup if you cant turbocharge it? xD

Its Japan theres loads of places thatd do everything for you

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
DielManar
Ok so the thing is my friend has a Nissian Skyline R34 with a NA (natural aspirated) RB20DE engine. He wants to put twin turbos on which i advised against since he only really wants it to max out at 300 HP and to get the ladies. I have been trying to find builds on other car forums on a RB20DE turbo conversion with no real luck. Hoping there are some car nerds outs here on Gaia that might help. Only thing i can think of is getting the OEM turbo parts from a RB20DET.

To get the ladies first off don't drive a Japanese car in Japan! LOL.. I drove a left hand drive Corvette and a Rustang while I was there. GTTs feel too much like the equivalent S chassi and they're heavier. While I understand getting the GT-R is a bit more expensive, getting an R34 GTT and tuning it up from a non RB25 turbo motor to stock GT-R numbers is also a build that's going to require money that you should have put into just getting an R33 GT-R... Or you could just ship an old corvette to yourself and get Y plates for it. wink

Where are you stationed? Okinawa? There's a lot of places that will tune your Nissan... You will pay a lot of money for it. It's not like here in America where it's all about discounts and hook ups. You will pay top dollar for a tune that is worth top dollar. The tuners know what their tune is worth and they know people who can afford to will pay for it.

Also consider hardware: A turbo maniforld for RB20 is quite expensive. Doing twin set up for an RB20 is wasteful at best and idiotic at worst. I'd love to make the RB26 into a single turbo engine if I could afford the single turbo manifold. Overall it's a less expensive, less tempermental, more powerful set up. At the moment the RB I have is in storage somewhere because one of the two turbos went bad and now BOTH have to be replaced. Don't you think yor friend might be better off selling this car and buying an R34 with an RB25 turbo. Would be a hell of a lot less trouble.
Chron0s
DielManar

Yep, NA-T will run that block straight into the ground. That's for sure. Don't do forged internals, don't lower compression, run 1.5 bar boost. One pull that's all you'll need to run that thing six feet deep. wink

If you don't want to run it into the ground, do the opposite of what I just said. Protect your car, keep it minty.

Ya I know that without a stronger block the things gonna blow, but i run NA all day so what he does with his car doesn't really bother me. I just wasnt sure if you could Turbo them. Well found a guy in Japan who works with nothing but Skyline's so ill just point him in that direction.
J-D45H
DielManar

To get the ladies first off don't drive a Japanese car in Japan! LOL.. I drove a left hand drive Corvette and a Rustang while I was there. GTTs feel too much like the equivalent S chassi and they're heavier. While I understand getting the GT-R is a bit more expensive, getting an R34 GTT and tuning it up from a non RB25 turbo motor to stock GT-R numbers is also a build that's going to require money that you should have put into just getting an R33 GT-R... Or you could just ship an old corvette to yourself and get Y plates for it. wink

Where are you stationed? Okinawa? There's a lot of places that will tune your Nissan... You will pay a lot of money for it. It's not like here in America where it's all about discounts and hook ups. You will pay top dollar for a tune that is worth top dollar. The tuners know what their tune is worth and they know people who can afford to will pay for it.

Also consider hardware: A turbo maniforld for RB20 is quite expensive. Doing twin set up for an RB20 is wasteful at best and idiotic at worst. I'd love to make the RB26 into a single turbo engine if I could afford the single turbo manifold. Overall it's a less expensive, less tempermental, more powerful set up. At the moment the RB I have is in storage somewhere because one of the two turbos went bad and now BOTH have to be replaced. Don't you think yor friend might be better off selling this car and buying an R34 with an RB25 turbo. Would be a hell of a lot less trouble.

Stationed in Sasebo, Japan. Ya its not my car he only wants to spend a max of like 5,000USD and im trying to tell him his a bit retarded, but he doesnt know to much about cars. An i dont know much about turbos cuz i dont really like um. He i tried telling him to either sell his car or just swap the dam engine but for some reason he wants to run it into the ground. Prob cuz his like most americans who come here and dislikes import tuners. Thanks for the info though.
Crimmy Sun
Why would I say to make a turbo setup if you cant turbocharge it? xD

Its Japan theres loads of places thatd do everything for you

lol my bad but making one is out the question ourselves, but having someone do it maybe. Funny thing is he really isnt in to cars and its just a waste of time IMO.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff