Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun
This is ******** stupid...
This whole thread should've ended with Zosh waaaaay up there

Octane rating is the amount of octane vs I think Heptane er something
Higher the octane the later the fuel will combust

Knock comes from higher compression engines using low octane fuels and igniting from compression itself

The reason a ******** civic recommends a low octane is because its default tune accounts for it's low compression

Modern cars adjust to account for different octanes and any modern car can run any pump fuel, the car will just adjust for different octanes

However most modern cars now have a higher compression and they're usually tuned now for mid-grade fuels
Since y'know, the oil embargo in the middle east from the goddamn 70's is over
That's when cars used lower compressions and everyone was obsessed with mpg
because our fuel became piss and we needed to stretch the piss out as far as we could

Bottom line:
KNOCK SENSORS EXIST FOR A REASON AND WILL DO IT'S JOB

Unless you don't have one in your car, in which case, you likely bought your oldass car for a reason and know what I just said already
Or are an idiot and should have bought a newer car

^This.
Though I want to tack on that even though modern cars can adjust to knock by retarding timing, its only to a certain degree and you run the risk of going out of the threshold and setting a check engine light.

Prolong use of lower octane gas may damage the engine as well since its not designed for it.

If you go the other way, using higher octane gas than recommended, there wont really be too much of a adverse effect other than you're paying extra for no reason. Raising the Octane rating raises the flash point, the point where it ignites, not necessarily burn slower since the spark will (should in a properly working vehicle), over come that flash point and start a chain reaction in the atoms. Even if it does burn slower, its not slow enough to make much of a difference. Your cars not going to dump a whole bunch of unburn fuel out the tail pipe.
Which leads me to my previous question. The owner's manual to my vehicle states "Octane 89" but then next on the cart it says "Octane 91 recommended" ):

Do what the car says
Manuals are generalized for the entire range of the vehicle
they'll use the same manual for say, a civic EX, LX, DX and HX civic, though they're all different
But the stickers and badging on the car are specific to that particular vehicle
I think I stated some where earlier that the manual says "1.8L Octane rating 89." and then it says "2.4L 91 RECOMMENDED." I do not remember what it exactly says but the 89 rating is acceptable. However it is RECOMMENDED to put 91.

Optimum performance vs decent performance
You can use either or, ones just what the car was designed to use
I've seen people do 0-60's in that car around 6.3-6.7 seconds. I assume I would need the recommended octane to attain this?

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Knock comes from higher compression engines using low octane fuels and igniting from compression itself

The reason a ******** civic recommends a low octane is because its default tune accounts for it's low compression

Modern cars adjust to account for different octanes and any modern car can run any pump fuel, the car will just adjust for different octanes

However most modern cars now have a higher compression and they're usually tuned now for mid-grade fuels
because our fuel became piss and we needed to stretch the piss out as far as we could

Bottom line:

Unless you don't have one in your car, in which case, you likely bought your oldass car for a reason and know what I just said already

^This.
Though I want to tack on that even though modern cars can adjust to knock by retarding timing, its only to a certain degree and you run the risk of going out of the threshold and setting a check engine light.

Prolong use of lower octane gas may damage the engine as well since its not designed for it.

If you go the other way, using higher octane gas than recommended, there wont really be too much of a adverse effect other than you're paying extra for no reason. Raising the Octane rating raises the flash point, the point where it ignites, not necessarily burn slower since the spark will (should in a properly working vehicle), over come that flash point and start a chain reaction in the atoms. Even if it does burn slower, its not slow enough to make much of a difference. Your cars not going to dump a whole bunch of unburn fuel out the tail pipe.
Which leads me to my previous question. The owner's manual to my vehicle states "Octane 89" but then next on the cart it says "Octane 91 recommended" ):

Do what the car says
they'll use the same manual for say, a civic EX, LX, DX and HX civic, though they're all different
I think I stated some where earlier that the manual says "1.8L Octane rating 89." and then it says "2.4L 91 RECOMMENDED." I do not remember what it exactly says but the 89 rating is acceptable. However it is RECOMMENDED to put 91.

Optimum performance vs decent performance
You can use either or, ones just what the car was designed to use
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Use 89. Use 87 if 89 is not available. Thats basically what the manual is telling you.
EDIT: Wait, you changed what you said from your OP? That answer is based on your OP.
I ******** up the octane ratings lol. I ain't the smartest person. And uhh, I may have. I think this thread is over a month old lol/

Well, either way follow what the manual says, what ever it says preferred. And use the alternate when you can get the prefered.

I have this same exact situation. My FRS says 93 prefered, but 91 tolerable. I live in SoCal, and 93 is pretty uncommon at most gas stations so I use 91.
Jigger_Of_Octane
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Use 89. Use 87 if 89 is not available. Thats basically what the manual is telling you.
EDIT: Wait, you changed what you said from your OP? That answer is based on your OP.
I ******** up the octane ratings lol. I ain't the smartest person. And uhh, I may have. I think this thread is over a month old lol/
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Do what the car says

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Nightmare277
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Do what the car says
Jigger_Of_Octane
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

^This.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

You seem angry...

Just disappointment
I ask because I'm really new to this mechanic sort of thing and I would like to get into it. I wanna mod my car so bad...

Perfectly okay
Ask all the questions you want, I totally encourage it
My issue is all the theories that people were throwing out when there's a definitive correct answer
Which was the first one given
I heard that over time the fuel loses it's octane rating. So if I buy something above 91 octane then the fuel in my car should breakdown into 91...?

Fuel does break down over time, but it takes months for it to do so
Fuel from different batches though, which is what you get out of most pumps, will break down at different rates

Also, contrary to the genius who said that a higher octane fuel will burn too late in the combustion cycle, any car can run a higher octane fuel
Because if the fuel doesn't combust due to compression, which is knock and means you need a higher octane, it will be ignited at the time it's supposed to, when the spark ignites it.
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

You seem angry...

Just disappointment
I ask because I'm really new to this mechanic sort of thing and I would like to get into it. I wanna mod my car so bad...

Perfectly okay
My issue is all the theories that people were throwing out when there's a definitive correct answer
I heard that over time the fuel loses it's octane rating. So if I buy something above 91 octane then the fuel in my car should breakdown into 91...?

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

You seem angry...

Just disappointment

Perfectly okay
Crimmy Sun
Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

You seem angry...

Just disappointment

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Nightmare277
Crimmy Sun

Bottom line:

You seem angry...

Just disappointment

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out