Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi everyone,

I have a scion xD for about a year and a half. I didn't drive it for a few days (since last Wed) and now it won't start at all. The lights won't turn on and the car doesn't respond to remote. I don't know if the cold weather has anything to do with it (I'm in WI) but I'm thinking that most likely it does because I left my car for four months during the summer and it worked just fine when I got back. How can I get my car working again? Is it the battery? Do I need to replace it? Is it something that I can fix myself? I recently (three weeks ago) made a 700 mile trip to WI. I last serviced my car October '12 but haven't checked it out since. Thanks for letting me know. Also, could you be clear and simple in your response? I don't know too much about cars xp

Thanks!

Tipsy Codger

Check your battery? ninja
Galileo Figaro Magnifico

I'm so sorry for my ignorance, but how should I check it? What do I look for? I don't even know how to get it out of the car ._.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

xD silly, it's the battery, don't ever leave your car just sitting for so long, but yes, the cold can have a negative effect on the battery

Jump it then take it to an Auto Zone or some other parts store and have them check the charging system and change the battery for you, they do it for free

Also, checking the battery and charging system is simple, jump the car and let it run for a while, while it's running pull the negative cable off the battery, no you wont get shocked. If the car dies after you pull it off, the alternator is bad, and before you can check the battery, you need to replace the alternator, if the car continues running, the alternator is good.
Now if the alternator is good, you can turn the car off, then wait a little bit, about 10-15 minutes, then try to start it again, if it wont start, it's the battery.

Before you ask, the positive and negative are marked by red and/or a plus and black and/or a minus. if they aren't clearly marked like that, the terminal that has multiple wires running to it is the positive, and the other is the negative.

If you're curious about replacing the battery yourself then ask, or if you have any other questions, ask away yo!

7,750 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Battle: KO 200
Athelius
Galileo Figaro Magnifico

I'm so sorry for my ignorance, but how should I check it? What do I look for? I don't even know how to get it out of the car ._.
have a neighbor or someone to show you were it is at and how to take them off and check them,i would do it but im sure we live in seprate areas xb
Cold weather really hurts batteries. Once you stop using it a few days on top of it being cold, i can see the battery being drained pretty well. Give it a jump, if she doesn't run too long, probably an alternator (a quick, cheap fix). If it is the battery, stick it on a trickle charger or if it's old, get a new one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff