Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello, I am Renewed member to Gaia, so I'm not entirely sure this is the right section to post this, but if it's not the Gms will move it I guess.

Anyway, My question is I live up north-east in the US and in the market for a Car. However, I'm the type to pay and ask for Vintages car rather then a newer one. However my parents are explaining that they want me in a car that I can count on to get me where I need to go without breaking down and me being on the side of the road. And I see their point but I tend to be Stubborn and like to argue with people sweatdrop But I honestly would take a restored car then a brand new car off the lot any day of the week. But even thought I love looking and driving old cars, I don't know much about them.

So, can someone tell me the name of a car that (Restored) will not break down a lot and need replacing of expensive parts (I understand that is old and I need to take it with a grain of Salt), can stand up to the cold weather of the Northeast and satisfy my love for Old cars? Much help would be helpful.

Thank you for Reading and hope to read a response soon. biggrin

~ .:Craillel-Hime:.~ heart

High-functioning Lunatic

Craillel-Hime
Hello, I am Renewed member to Gaia, so I'm not entirely sure this is the right section to post this, but if it's not the Gms will move it I guess.

Anyway, My question is I live up north-east in the US and in the market for a Car. However, I'm the type to pay and ask for Vintages car rather then a newer one. However my parents are explaining that they want me in a car that I can count on to get me where I need to go without breaking down and me being on the side of the road. And I see their point but I tend to be Stubborn and like to argue with people sweatdrop But I honestly would take a restored car then a brand new car off the lot any day of the week. But even thought I love looking and driving old cars, I don't know much about them.

So, can someone tell me the name of a car that (Restored) will not break down a lot and need replacing of expensive parts (I understand that is old and I need to take it with a grain of Salt), can stand up to the cold weather of the Northeast and satisfy my love for Old cars? Much help would be helpful.

Thats research you really need to do on your own. Any dealer could say they restored a car to a great condition but there may be parts that were of lesser quality or maybe old too but from a different car. That's why sites like car facts have become so popular as of late. Some cars are good and some cars are bad, some can lead you to pay more than what a new car is worth.

There is a sub forum in this forum for automotive that you will probably get a better answer and the people at Yahoo Answers in the automotive subtopics are also great.

In my opinion if you don't know how to fix a car, then you should get an used car from someone you know who has taken good car of that car and can tell you straight out what work has been done on it. If you DO know how to fix a car and maintain it or someone who can help yo do it and teach you then I would go for the used car.

But if you don't have any of the above, you probably should get a new one and learn about that car when its fresh. As you drive it you'll learn how to take care of it and in a few years it'll be a 'old car' anyway. A car should not first and foremost aesthetics. It should serve you in all practicalities first, getting you to the places you need, want and above all safety and reassurance.
toyota anything

Hunter

function outweighs quality. i wouldnt bother looking
don‘t forget to calculate the vehicle tax rate. sometimes you‘ll be surprise.
Ta Lu
Craillel-Hime

Thats research you really need to do on your own. Any dealer could say they restored a car to a great condition but there may be parts that were of lesser quality or maybe old too but from a different car. That's why sites like car facts have become so popular as of late. Some cars are good and some cars are bad, some can lead you to pay more than what a new car is worth.

There is a sub forum in this forum for automotive that you will probably get a better answer and the people at Yahoo Answers in the automotive subtopics are also great.

In my opinion if you don't know how to fix a car, then you should get an used car from someone you know who has taken good car of that car and can tell you straight out what work has been done on it. If you DO know how to fix a car and maintain it or someone who can help yo do it and teach you then I would go for the used car.

But if you don't have any of the above, you probably should get a new one and learn about that car when its fresh. As you drive it you'll learn how to take care of it and in a few years it'll be a 'old car' anyway. A car should not first and foremost aesthetics. It should serve you in all practicalities first, getting you to the places you need, want and above all safety and reassurance.

Thank you for the full answer, I truly appreciate it and I will be sure to look at the other forums and networks. I've done some research, but frankly it feels like I'm reading greek. I'm just the type of person who enjoys older things and the history and stories behind it.

High-functioning Lunatic

If that's the case why not look at the actual car makers themselves. A lot of them are "remaking" older cars to fit the more modern age.

I don't know your financial status but Lincoln is doing a reboot on some its cars. I only know this because I read it and heard it somewhere.

But yeah, if you love the vintage and the history, you might strike it lucky if you find a car maker that has made a certain model that looks like one of their older nostalgic cars.

And even though you're a sucker of the old, you're not going to get the comforts of the modern age in an old vintage car, unless you can really deal with it. Aka working AC, heat, windshield wiper, windows, trunk, gas, tire replacements, radio, charger, standard seat belt...etc...

Friendly Bookworm

I have to agree. Going to a used car dealership and finding a well-loved car is your best bet. I own a 2002 PT Cruiser and even though everyone reading this post thinks I'm lame, I didn't mention it's a Dream Cruiser, Series 1, painted Inca Gold, every feature you can get for the car is in it (plus more safety!) and only 7,500 of them were made. I live in NY so this car is pretty much a tank in the snow with all season tires.

Awesome story, I know.

One thing to be sure of is to do a test ride, homework on the car specs and standards (I spent a week researching my car), talk to your dealer, and one good thing is to bring a friend or family member that's into cars that can help translate the Greek for you. And, get a car fax.

It takes some looking around. so be patient and keep an eye out.

Just some tips to learn on car care that's easy to do yourself:
- Read the manual. <--- TRUST ME. This is the most unread book in the world. Reading this will really help you understand the car and what it needs.
- Take a day, pop open the hood, and look. Look for where oil goes, transmission fluid, your positive/negative nodes, battery, windshield fluid, etc. are. That way if you're low, you know just what to get (with help from your manual!) and where it goes!
- I would also just suggest the following items to put in your car. This'll make your parents breathe a little better. Emergency Kit, Tire Gauge (use this and check your tire pressure when getting gas. It'll help!), snow brush/scraper. They're all easy to use and ensure you'll be okay.
Craillel-Hime

The only reason you should get a used car is because the common wisdom is that used cars are more economical, that is to say you get a bigger bang for your buck.

However in our economic situation (assuming you live in the U.S.) you shouldn't adhere to that assumption anymore. I bought my first car in 2012, and when I did the research I found economists pointing out that the math shows that because we are in a bad economic period, used car prices had increased while new car prices had decreased. That is to say that it actually became more financially advantageous to buy a new car.

My point is, when you're looking at a specific model of a car, you should look at the prices of used ones and compare them to the price of a new one. When I was looking at a car to buy, the price of used cars (cars like 1-3 years old) were not much different than the price of a new car, so I ended buying a new car. However I'm only talking about the specific models I was looking for, this may not be the case with the type of cars you're interested in.

Also another thing you have to factor in is the complication involved with warranties, almost always you get a better warranty when you get a new car instead of a used car. For example I get 3 free years of service on my car. Whenever I take my car in to get a check up, I don't pay for anything. That's cause I bought a new car instead of a used one (I would have had to pay for the check ups if I got a used car).

Like everyone said do the research. Don't just assume that getting a used car is the better choice, that common wisdom was wrong when I was looking for a car a little more than a year ago.

Liberal Receiver

You missed the Garage by one click.
My only advice; Don't get a car where the parts are only made overseas.
Ta Lu
If that's the case why not look at the actual car makers themselves. A lot of them are "remaking" older cars to fit the more modern age.

I don't know your financial status but Lincoln is doing a reboot on some its cars. I only know this because I read it and heard it somewhere.

But yeah, if you love the vintage and the history, you might strike it lucky if you find a car maker that has made a certain model that looks like one of their older nostalgic cars.

And even though you're a sucker of the old, you're not going to get the comforts of the modern age in an old vintage car, unless you can really deal with it. Aka working AC, heat, windshield wiper, windows, trunk, gas, tire replacements, radio, charger, standard seat belt...etc...

OOOOOH!!! heart heart heart heart heart That's a wonderful Idea!! That solves everything! Thank you so much. Now that you mention it, I thought maybe I saw something like that but I had completely forgotten and don't even know its a real memory. But thank you!!!! thank you!!!

High-functioning Lunatic

Craillel-Hime
Ta Lu

OOOOOH!!! heart heart heart heart heart That's a wonderful Idea!! That solves everything! Thank you so much. Now that you mention it, I thought maybe I saw something like that but I had completely forgotten and don't even know its a real memory. But thank you!!!! thank you!!!
And another thing, I don't know how reliable they are but some non brand dealerships may carry older year model cars that are new and unused. At that point you need to check the warranty and make sure it still works. Something sitting out in the lot for a while may have something chipping away at it even though it was just sitting there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff