Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Friend

J-D45H
Are you putting another motor in your car just for image? Because if you're only concerned about what other people think, that's pretty rice in and of itself. Do it because it's what makes you feel good about the car. I'd replace my RB in a heartbeat with a US market 2J if I could affordably keep the adaptive AWD. The 2J is just easier for me to work with and understand. I don't give a crap about what other people say about my car if I'm happy with the work I've put into it and function of it. OP did you honestly think you were going to get a better response posting this in chatterbox? At least the responses you got here had some insight. Posting in Chatterbox just makes it seem like you just want validation.

I'll say it again. You don't need it from us- do it because YOU want to. Don't let anyone else make the decision for you or you will regret it.

You'd replace your RB26DETT... Something sounds weird about that... I personally would never do that but whatever floats your boat... That thing made 500 HP without even blinking in the early 90's... Why would you replace such a baby?

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
...Because the RB is a maintenance whore, has oiling issues, and is designed from the legacy of antiquated 70s and 80s dinosaur technology. The RB was built with performance in mind and from proven results of previous Inline Nissan engines, but when it comes to durability and ease of service- the Toyota 2J is leagues ahead. Part of that is the fact that the 2J was designed and built later- to move a car that's got more mass with the technology available to build a revolutionary newer model and not just an evolution of a previous model. The RB kept being used well into the new millenium but it gets outmoded by plenty of newer engines. In order to keep up to modern standards- the RB starts getting expensive. More so than a 2J. A new oil pump alone to upgrade to one that has a wider pump gear to prevent slippage and that doesn't break under heavy load starts at $2,000 USD.

Enduring Friend

J-D45H
...Because the RB is a maintenance whore, has oiling issues, and is designed from the legacy of antiquated 70s and 80s dinosaur technology. The RB was built with performance in mind and from proven results of previous Inline Nissan engines, but when it comes to durability and ease of service- the Toyota 2J is leagues ahead. Part of that is the fact that the 2J was designed and built later- to move a car that's got more mass with the technology available to build a revolutionary newer model and not just an evolution of a previous model. The RB kept being used well into the new millenium but it gets outmoded by plenty of newer engines. In order to keep up to modern standards- the RB starts getting expensive. More so than a 2J. A new oil pump alone to upgrade to one that has a wider pump gear to prevent slippage and that doesn't break under heavy load starts at $2,000 USD.

You uhh... Bought a RB26DETT car for it to be reliable? :/ I thought people bought that car pretty much solely for track uses...

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I never said I wanted an RB because it was more reliable. I have an RB because I drive a GT-R. I don't know why I have to restate it- but I'd drop a 2J in there if I could keep my AWD because it's easier to work on and hold higher power levels. I don't know what's hard to understand about that.. or are you trolling?

Enduring Friend

J-D45H
I never said I wanted an RB because it was more reliable. I have an RB because I drive a GT-R. I don't know why I have to restate it- but I'd drop a 2J in there if I could keep my AWD because it's easier to work on and hold higher power levels. I don't know what's hard to understand about that.. or are you trolling?

Nono I'm just saying most people who buy GT-R's dont really care for reliability as they usually bought the car to be a track car, no need to take offense from it.

And why can't you keep your AWD with the 2J? I thought the 2J was longitudial just as a RB26 is and the sizes arent too different... What's the problem?

5,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
The issue is adapting the transmission and ECU along with finding a solution for what to do about the oil pan of the rb26 because the front differential is part of it- you can't really just slap a 2j and adapt it to the old transmission case. The normal GT-R transmission has a transfer case that allows for the activation of the AWD in the event of traction loss and therein lies the problem. The addition of the 2J would necessitate the use of a different ecu or possible a standalone one. Assuming you did get the car AWD and use the 2J whatever ECU is in there would have to be programmed for both a 2j map AND be capable of translating the inputs from the traction control computer then output commands appropriately to the transfer case. It's a lot of work but if a kit existed for it under 10,000 USD I'd seriously consider it. Reliability is not the only thing that matters in this mess. There's the matter that the 2J has less of a tendency to EXPLODE CATASTROPHICALLY... Which is partly because it's more reliable and has a more efficient oiling system than the RB. The block itself is better thought out for long term use. That's important for people who are going to keep a car for more than 10 years especially if we're racing the car. If I race a car, I don't mind maintaining it. I mind having to replace the engine because of a design flaw and waste money on the same engine which still has the same flaw.

These guys made it work but at that price.. It's prohibitive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPlNc7y4js
http://www.tremek.com/forum/nissan-videos/37844-r32-gtr-2jzgte-awd.html

Enduring Friend

J-D45H
The issue is adapting the transmission and ECU along with finding a solution for what to do about the oil pan of the rb26 because the front differential is part of it- you can't really just slap a 1j and adapt it to the old transmission case. The normal GT-R transmission has a transfer case that allows for the activation of the AWD in the event of traction loss and therein lies the problem. The addition of the 2J would necessitate the use of a different ecu or possible a standalone one. Assuming you did get the car AWD and use the 2J whatever ECU is in there would have to be programmed for both a 2j map AND be capable of translating the inputs from the traction control computer then output commands appropriately to the transfer case. It's a lot of work but if a kit existed for it under 10,000 USD I'd seriously consider it. Reliability is not the only thing that matters in this mess. There's the matter that the 2J has less of a tendency to EXPLODE CATASTROPHICALLY... Which is partly because it's more reliable and has a more efficient oiling system than the RB. The block itself is better thought out for long term use. That's important for people who are going to keep a car for more than 10 years especially if we're racing the car. If I race a car, I don't mind maintaining it. I mind having to replace the engine because of a design flaw and waste money on the same engine which still has the same flaw.

These guys made it work but at that price.. It's prohibitive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpPlNc7y4js
http://www.tremek.com/forum/nissan-videos/37844-r32-gtr-2jzgte-awd.html

Why not raise the 2J, use the 2J ECU and transmission, use the Skyline transfer case, and use the Skyline front axles? Obviously the AWD would no longer be ECU controlled as the 2J ECU never had AWD... (Unless maybe you can retune the whole thing to include it? That'd probably be a lot of trouble though...) So instead of using the AWD ECU controlled route, why not use a viscous LSD for the transfer case so that it's primarily RWD until it needs more traction which it'll mechanically switch over to AWD.

Gosh, I feel like I have a big flaw somewhere... But theres my stab in the dark xD
elemein
J-D45H

Nono I'm just saying most people who buy GT-R's dont really care for reliability as they usually bought the car to be a track car, no need to take offense from it.

And why can't you keep your AWD with the 2J? I thought the 2J was longitudial just as a RB26 is and the sizes arent too different... What's the problem?

People who buy and drive GT-Rs are still people. They're human beings like you and I. They're not trees made of money. I know a guy in Canada that also has an R32 GT-R. His RB just pretty much exploded too, and he now has to save money to rebuild the damned thing.

Enduring Friend

Chron0s
elemein
J-D45H

People who buy and drive GT-Rs are still people. They're human beings like you and I. They're not trees made of money. I know a guy in Canada that also has an R32 GT-R. His RB just pretty much exploded too, and he now has to save money to rebuild the damned thing.

Well I suppose that's true. Up here in Canada (atleast where I am), I've never seen a Skyline on the road before, never seen a DD Skyline, never even seen much of a street-legal Skyline... I spend too much time at the dragstrip and motor track :l That's where I see my share of GT-Rs... Though for an engine to spontaneously explode really sucks sad I always "dreamed" (in quotations because I didnt actually dream of it, it's just always been a really nice idea) of getting a BNR32 and modifying it a bit and just driving it on the street as my "fun" car... I hadnt a clue of it's reliability issues (probably because I never looked into the matter all that seriously as I'm too young and have other things on my mind to be seriously looking into an R32). Though I gotta ask, are the problems persistent in R33 and R34? These would be my "second choices" to the R32... I do like the R31 too though, is that GT-R okay? (sorry for all the GT-R questions, I'm just severely surprised at these reliability issues; I never heard of them before!)

6,500 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Pie Enabler 100
  • Pie Feeder 50
If I could ever get a Corolla (PARENTS WOULDNT LET ME SELL MY CAR WHEN I HAD THE CHANCE!!! gonk crying ) I'd consider the 2J for a swap... then again I was having issues with the rain in my fwd so a rwd in a Florida downpour would not be fun and especially with that much power in such a small car stare

On topic... seen many of these LS swaps and got to say its not that terrible of a swap and like people have pointed out they are cheaper and easier/cheaper to maintain and they set up for these swaps is probably pretty cheap given the amount of people doing it. I think they have full kits ready made to do it.
I think as far as an LS swap goes when compared to something like a 2J swap, it's just personal preference. You're practically spending the same amount of money to get that 400+whp. Just that with the LS you have a naturally aspirated package, and with the traditional Japanese engine swaps, you have a turbo-charged application.

Aged Fatcat

3,800 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
I'm all for more power but An LS swap is a big task to undertake without knowledge and the cash flow to do so. I'm more for a T-2 Swap cause there's little to no mods needed.
On a related note, here's an LS1 Conquest. I know we have a few Conquest/ Starion fans/ drivers in the Garage.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

Obligatory videos

2,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
don't judge the idea that someone wants to put a corvette engine in a rx7 when it has already been done in the automotive world now wither or not it makes someone a ricer i an not judging that base on engine performance if someone wants to put a bigger engine in their car they can ninja

Cultist

Chron0s

That car looks absolutely stunning. I've only seen one in the flesh. Belonged to a co-worker who beat it to s**t and daily drove it till he was pulled over for driving w/o a license. Needless to say, the car was impounded and junked surely.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff