Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,800 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Explorer 100
Hello!

Well, time is ticking and rolling faster.
I learned to ride in a bicycle. Ha! I know. It took me so long to do it. But anyways, I am thinking to get my riding license this summer.

I have been saving for a long time, and thinking of buying a motorcycle with financing of course.
My dream motorcycle is the Honda Fury. This coming Tuesday I will go and see it.

The only problems I have: I lack of a social security number and a credit card. I only have a debit card gonk

Original Regular

Don't buy a new motorcycle for your first purchase. Learn the basics for how to ride on a second hand bike that wont cost you as much money, or one that has already been downed lightly. Something from craigslist that seems to be well taken care of that isn't a fortune and doesn't have a shitload of miles on it.

The common mistake many first time buyers make is buying a nice bike that is their pride and joy with very little riding time under their belt. Next thing you know the bike is downed or because it's more powerful than a first timer should be on and it results in a catastrophic crash which is never a happy ending for the rider. You should get to the point where you feel like riding a motorcycle is like a second hand nature for you before you invest in a new bike.

I'd also start out with something smaller, depending on your weight and what kind of motorcycle you want to go with in the end, nothing bigger than say a 600 for your purchasing goals.

Also, the time you take to learn on the first bike (the not so new one) is also time that you can save up for a bigger down payment on the new one you like. You don't need a credit card to buy a motorcycle, that's why you apply for credit in the dealership.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Learned to ride a bicycle
Don't have a riding endorsement yet

But you want to dive straight into a Fury?

There's a huge regret in the not too distant future if you somehow went in that direction

Also you should build yourself some credit, so you can buy things like this in the future
I'm bike-curious.

Unfortunately, due to physical disabilities that limit the strength (and length - I'm short) of my legs, I'm unable to operate a motorcycle. However, I'm contemplating saving up for one of those bad a** Harley trikes.

Like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Even though we both know how to ride, my little brother and I are gonna finally get our bike licenses in September. So many cheap, used Harelys and Triumphs for sale in my neck of the woods, about time to get my license legally.

Definitely second what everyone else has been saying...pick up something cheap and used that you wouldn't feel to bad about dumping, God forbid that happens to you.

Friendly Businessman

First off! I'd recommend starting on something of a smaller caliber too. I'm sure a Honda Fury is very sexy and very appealing to you, but if you do not have any motorcycle history, you better have deep pockets because insurance will have no mercy on your soul (Not as much since it's a cruiser but due to your lack of experience). Not sure what your riding right now, and I'm not trying to judge either, a 1300cc engine is very heavy. Brother Kam is very right, under 600cc max. Especially if you haven't ridden much. Dropping a 1300cc is going to cost you an arm or a leg.

I had a yamaha R1 briefly for about 2 months... riddiculous insurance btw. Mom made me sell...
I cried a little, but then realized how unpractical it was.
(2k a month insurance)
Still love it, always will.
Started out on a old 90's Honda CB 650? -First "real" bike. Great starter wink Paid 500$ quit.
Only 2 bikes I have ever and probably will ever own.

Aged Millionaire

17,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Partygoer 500
Elder_Joshua_Graham
I'm bike-curious.

Unfortunately, due to physical disabilities that limit the strength (and length - I'm short) of my legs, I'm unable to operate a motorcycle. However, I'm contemplating saving up for one of those bad a** Harley trikes.

Couldn't help but read. A great bike for you to look into is a suzuki boulevard trike. Their cheap and great! A friend of mine can't ride normal due to being hit by a forklift aand got one. Its no Harley but if you dont like it the resale is high on them and if you do like the trike you can always upgrade to a Harley since they hold their value so well.

Dapper Hunter

5,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Take a look at the 80's CB's and XS's, they're pretty decent bikes, come in a plethora of sizes, and (if I'm remembering correctly) were mass produced like no tomorrow, making them cheaper. A lot of guys use them to build choppers and cafe racers out of due to the wallet factor and the fact that motorized products produced by Japanese companies are like cockroaches; they refuse to die.

Another point that was already brought up is the practicality of the Fury. There's the weight thing, the price, the fact that it's new. I mean no offense by this, but almost every (if not every) rider drops their first bike at least once.
As everyone says, don't get a new, or powerful bike for your first one, unless you don't care about cost cause you can pay for everything. Idk much of the fury, but if its true that its 1300cc, that's very heavy. I have a 600cc and its still somewhat hefty. I got a zx6r as my first bike only cause I use to ride bikes from my cousins and uncles bike when I visited Vietnam.

Here's a fun story, my friend also got a zx6r for his first bike, never really ridden before until he purchased this bike. He seemed to have handle it fine but once in awhile too much throttle and did a tiny "wheelie". One day, just a month and a half into riding, it happened again but this time it threw him off and tthe bike took off crashing and tumbling around. He left with a sprain wrist, rash on elbows and limping for a few weeks. Bike totaled. Looked brand new to.

Anyways point of the story, if you are inexperienced, suggest starting off small. Even with a 600cc he crashed. But if you get a 600cc bike, best tto take it slow.

Generous Friend

I just got into riding id rather become familiar with the controls on a 250 otherwise i would probably end up crashing. what made all of you get into riding?

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Guess_What_I_Win
I just got into riding id rather become familiar with the controls on a 250 otherwise i would probably end up crashing. what made all of you get into riding?

I just enjoy the vibrations between my legs, y'know?
if you get the chance pull a spark plug and just take a seat with no pant on, it'll change your life

Also, does anyone else see them titties on OP?!
Crazy right?!

Generous Friend

Crimmy Sun
Guess_What_I_Win

if you get the chance pull a spark plug and just take a seat with no pant on, it'll change your life

Crazy right?!
Just a response i was expecting lol. well anyone that is reading will go look now.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Guess_What_I_Win
Crimmy Sun
Guess_What_I_Win

Crazy right?!
Just a response i was expecting lol. well anyone that is reading will go look now.

This is the garage!
It's what we do

But they look like they'd be swingers don't they?
It's really impossible to tell without the side view

But seriously
(serious face)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I got into it because I hate passenger, love long distance trips, the speed and the efficiency

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff