Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
My co-worker just had to run out to his car and try to jump it because it died. I'm just wondering if you put a brand new battery in a car how long they last for? Also, does everyone just let the car die before having the battery replaced? Or, do some of you get it replaced before it has a chance to die? Are there any warning signs your battery is about to die? My co-worker's car was working perfectly like 5 minutes prior. emotion_0A0
Iv had a better last up to three years.

Cultist

My oem toyota battery is on its 5th year, and still running strong. The key to making your battery last, is keep those terminals clean.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Anywhere from 10 months to 10 years
The battery on most of my cars were original OEM units when I purchased them.

My Integra's battery was perfectly fine during the time I owned it. It died once but that was of no fault of its own. I left the radio and interior light on for a long a** time, and thus there wasn't enough power left in the tiny battery to turn over when I tried to start it. Little jump start and letting the alternator charge the battery, it was good to go. I believe this car was a '91, and I owned it back in 2009-2010. So, the battery was roughly into 19 years of service and was still good.

My 420SEL Benz was on its original OEM Bosch unit as well; massive battery that thing had. And, it served me excellently for the 7k miles that I did with it during the time that I owned it. This car was an '89, and was under my ownership around 2011. So the battery was even older than the one in my Integra. I'm sure you could do the math on exactly how long that was, yourself.

My Cressida was on its OEM unit as well, and was actually the only car that I've had where the battery quit on me on its own accord. The car was a '92 model year, but it had done 256k miles though. So, I suppose the battery had already served for that long; despite being young, it had a hard life.

My current '90 model year 300SE Benz, I believe is on its original OEM unit as well. Serving me well, and has served me well for the past roughly 6k miles. I intend on keeping this car until well over 250k miles, so I'll comment further down the line on the battery life on this car, when the time comes.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
I like to change my battery out every 5 years just be on the safe side.

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
Levis Pennae
I was thinking of changing cars out every 5 years just to be on the safe side...but I don't know if I'm going to have the monies to do that. ninja

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
TheRob
Levis Pennae
I was thinking of changing cars out every 5 years just to be on the safe side...but I don't know if I'm going to have the monies to do that. ninja

~$150 for a basic maintenance battery over 5 years is ~$30 a year for battery maintenance. Or you could buy an Optima battery and watch your car die all around it while it provides way more power than you can use outside the apocalypse.
usually around 2 years.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

KEVIN5A
usually around 2 years.

No
Crimmy Sun
KEVIN5A
usually around 2 years.

No

it was 2 years for me since i used the sound system frequently. xp
TheRob
My co-worker just had to run out to his car and try to jump it because it died. I'm just wondering if you put a brand new battery in a car how long they last for? Also, does everyone just let the car die before having the battery replaced? Or, do some of you get it replaced before it has a chance to die? Are there any warning signs your battery is about to die? My co-worker's car was working perfectly like 5 minutes prior. emotion_0A0

"The average life of a car battery is in the range of three to five years. Several factors can lead to a battery's short lifespan. Many people's driving habits contribute to this, leading to the battery dying closer to the three-year range.

Significance

Exposing the battery to extreme temperatures, hot or cold, can shorten the battery's life span and cause starting problems as the temperature affects the chemical reaction required.

Effects

The battery's life can be shortened by several starting cycles and short drive times within a relatively short time frame.

Time Frame

The car needs to run for at least 20 minutes on average for the alternator to fully recharge the battery.

Prevention/Solution

Many batteries are encased in an insulated jacket to help it withstand cold temperatures. Many people, even professional mechanics, often remove this cover, putting the battery at risk of a shorter life.

Warning

A car battery's life can also be shortened if it is a standard "starter" battery used in a car containing electronic devices like TVs and DVD players."

wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance wahmbulance

"A car battery is one of the most important parts of a car. Without the charge it provides, the engine of a vehicle won't start and, consequently, the vehicle won't get anyone anywhere. For this reason, properly maintaining a car battery is crucial if a person wants to travel in his own vehicle.

Terminals

Make sure that the terminals of the battery are free from dirt and corrosion. Corrosion happens on battery terminals when the metal of the terminal oxidizes. Some corrosion is normal, since it is impossible to prevent exposure of the terminals completely. Usually it looks like green fuzz, but this depends on precisely what the terminals are made of and what oxidizing agent they are exposed to, since oxidization is a chemical process. Clean off the terminals with a wire brush until all the corrosion is gone. Then wipe the terminals with a baking soda paste and wipe clean.

Moisture and Dirt

Check to see that the battery is not wet and that it is clean. All batteries eventually lose some charge because it is impossible to keep every electron in the atoms of the battery material from transferring a charge; neutrality is always sought in nature. Dirt and moisture act as conductive agents that allow energy to seep out of the battery prematurely. Keeping the battery dry and clean therefore helps to maintain the battery charge.

Water/Electrolyte Level

Make sure the water level in the battery reaches the filler neck. This applies only to batteries that can be opened (ones that have caps). Car batteries require an electrolyte solution to convert energy for use by the car. If the solution is too low, then the battery cannot make the energy conversion, so add some distilled water (not tap) to the battery if the level is low.

Charge Testing

Check the charge of the battery occasionally with a tester. The result you get on the tester may indicate that the charge of the battery is not optimal even if the battery is still functioning. This can serve as a signal to you that the battery is leaking energy somewhere or that the condition of the battery does not allow for proper energy conversion (e.g., low electrolyte solution level). You then can take appropriate action to clean terminals and the battery and to check the electrolyte solution if applicable.

Charging

Follow the manufacturer's instructions when using a battery charger. It's never ideal to charge a dead battery, but if you have to do so, then make absolutely sure that you are connecting your charging device properly. Improper connections can damage the battery to the point of uselessness."

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

KEVIN5A
Crimmy Sun
KEVIN5A
usually around 2 years.

No

it was 2 years for me since i used the sound system frequently. xp

That's your fault for having a crap alternator
It's not 2 years

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
-o- JUGGERNAUT -o-

Exposing the battery to extreme temperatures, hot or cold, can shorten the battery's life span and cause starting problems as the temperature affects the chemical reaction required.

I live in Florida where it can get super hot. sweatdrop

-o- JUGGERNAUT -o-

A car battery's life can also be shortened if it is a standard "starter" battery used in a car containing electronic devices like TVs and DVD players."

I don't know if it's the same thing, but I have a USB port built into my car that I use for my iPod during long trips. I also use the cigarette lighter to plug in my GPS.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff