Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
For the few of you who were here last year you may remember me playing around with the idea of selling off my 1986 Toyota 4Runner and getting something else. I need to get a pickup for work soonish (by mid to late summer) so the idea is back. I'm looking at getting a gen 1 and 1/2 Toyota Tacoma (1998-2004) Xtra cab V6 4x4 with a manual transmission. I have a standing offer of $5,500 for the 4Runner and I will probably have a couple thousand set aside by the time I have found a good truck. That being said: with a budget of $7,500 can you guys recommend a 4x4 extended cab pickup (with an available manual trans. of course) with a great reputation for reliability and good aftermarket support.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Speaking of Toyota, I test drive the FR-S hopefully tomorrow when it comes in

Then I might possibly be getting one
Levis Pennae
For the few of you who were here last year you may remember me playing around with the idea of selling off my 1986 Toyota 4Runner and getting something else. I need to get a pickup for work soonish (by mid to late summer) so the idea is back. I'm looking at getting a gen 1 and 1/2 Toyota Tacoma (1998-2004) Xtra cab V6 4x4 with a manual transmission. I have a standing offer of $5,500 for the 4Runner and I will probably have a couple thousand set aside by the time I have found a good truck. That being said: with a budget of $7,500 can you guys recommend a 4x4 extended cab pickup (with an available manual trans. of course) with a great reputation for reliability and good aftermarket support.

The Toyota Pickup. Any one of them.
Tacomas keep their value extremely well, however their "bulletproof" reliability is over hyped. My brother had one, but sold it and got a Ranger, after checking out some Colorados and other trucks. Personally, I'd go with a full size pickup. They don't cost much more and a little worse on gas, but you have V8 power, and a MUCH larger bed and interior.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
zosh
Tacomas keep their value extremely well, however their "bulletproof" reliability is over hyped. My brother had one, but sold it and got a Ranger, after checking out some Colorados and other trucks. Personally, I'd go with a full size pickup. They don't cost much more and a little worse on gas, but you have V8 power, and a MUCH larger bed and interior.

I was considering getting full sized truck but at my price range the ones I can afford are much worse on gas and most do not have the extended cab option. That and no manual transmission.

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

You know, if you lay down the seats in a Fiesta, you get quite a bit of room

But have you considered a Dakota?
Crimmy Sun

but the Dakota is is had a 96 and it's still running now with about 400 k+ miles on it and the motor still as all the part from 96 on it. Toyota is a good truck too arounds the 90s is the best IMO.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Crimmy Sun

I was waiting for that; and have considered it, but I need the open bed.
Crimmy Sun

Doesn't have a good aftermarket for it.
Not a good aftermarket? I work at a major exhaust manufac. and just today I packaged up a kit for a 5.9L Dakota. Headers back. People turn those Dakota R/Ts into some awesome drag toys. If money is really tight, check out S10s, I hear the 4.3L V6 isnt much better than the 4-cyl option.
Levis Pennae
Crimmy Sun

Crimmy Sun

Yes it dose.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
theothermanoverthere
Levis Pennae
Crimmy Sun

Crimmy Sun

Yes it dose.

I define "a good aftermarket" as multiple companies manufacturing the full range of products for customization (full suspension kits, custom body pieces, top and bottom engine performance parts, axle and drivetrain upgrades, etc.).

Cultist

Levis Pennae
theothermanoverthere
Levis Pennae
Crimmy Sun

Crimmy Sun

Yes it dose.

I define "a good aftermarket" as multiple companies manufacturing the full range of products for customization (full suspension kits, custom body pieces, top and bottom engine performance parts, axle and drivetrain upgrades, etc.).

If that's what you had in mind, go for a ranger or Tacoma... or even a Silverado.
Levis Pennae
theothermanoverthere
Levis Pennae
Crimmy Sun

Crimmy Sun

Yes it dose.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_dakota/

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/dodge/Dakota

Just look at this group.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
theothermanoverthere
Levis Pennae
theothermanoverthere
Levis Pennae
Crimmy Sun

Crimmy Sun

Yes it dose.

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/dodge_dakota/

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/dodge/Dakota

Just look at this group.

Universal parts, some OEM factory upgrades and some upgrade parts for an engine that spans multiple vehicles. The photo gallery does show some custom Dakotas, but are almost all full custom (i.e. custom made parts) and on the opposite end from 4x4. Do a search for Tacoma after market parts and you'll see what I'm going for.
I will tell you right now that Tacomas are weak sauce, no reason to lift them and put 33"s on them. If you want an off road rig, and a good daily driver, and something for work, get a Silverado/F-150/Tundra.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff