• Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

Because of the nature of off-road surfaces the wheels can spin without much damage to the tires or drivetrain.

I was going with no central differential as the same as a locked differential.

But a removal of a central differential doesnt inhibit the same characteristics at all as a locked differential... :l

In a locked differential the two output shafts are synchronized, and in a transfer case without a differential the two output shafts are synchronized. I have a feeling I may have left something out so if you still don't get what I'm saying please read this article on differentials (includes an explanation of central differentials).

I know how differentials work. I've already said that. No centre differential =/= locked differential. Thats all there is to it. They're not the same thing.

I know they are not the same thing, but they have the same output. You are so close just read the article.

I've actually read that article in the past along with some other articles and videos to get an understanding of differentials.

4WD with locked differentials = All wheels get 25%. No more. No less.
4WD with open differentials = Back get 50% and rear get 50%, whether the right or left wheel get which portion of the 50% is up to the conditions.

In a 4WD car, both the front and rear axles get 50/50 (or a constant rate atleast), there is no central differential to begin with; in an AWD car there is, but no in 4WD.

Ok so you do know, I just suck at explaining my point. So you should know that if you were to put a pure 4WD vehicle on a track and flog it you would shred the transfer case because the front and rear wheels turn at different rates. But if you were to do the same with an AWD the transfer case would be fine because the differential allows the front and rear wheels can turn at different speeds.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

In a locked differential the two output shafts are synchronized, and in a transfer case without a differential the two output shafts are synchronized. I have a feeling I may have left something out so if you still don't get what I'm saying please read this article on differentials (includes an explanation of central differentials).

I know how differentials work. I've already said that. No centre differential =/= locked differential. Thats all there is to it. They're not the same thing.

I know they are not the same thing, but they have the same output. You are so close just read the article.

I've actually read that article in the past along with some other articles and videos to get an understanding of differentials.

4WD with open differentials = Back get 50% and rear get 50%, whether the right or left wheel get which portion of the 50% is up to the conditions.

In a 4WD car, both the front and rear axles get 50/50 (or a constant rate atleast), there is no central differential to begin with; in an AWD car there is, but no in 4WD.

Ok so you do know, I just suck at explaining my point. So you should know that if you were to put a pure 4WD vehicle on a track and flog it you would shred the transfer case because the front and rear wheels turn at different rates. But if you were to do the same with an AWD the transfer case would be fine because the differential allows the front and rear wheels can turn at different speeds.

I think you're using too much theory and too little practicality... In AWD you'd be fine. Even with tires with lots of grip, in 4WD, both axles will get a flat rate of power. Whether it all reaches the ground or not is different. If the axles are spinning at a different rate in a 4WD car, a tire or two is slipping; I doubt any amount of sticky tires is going to overcome the power of an engine; it just doesnt happen.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

I think you're using too much theory and too little practicality... In AWD you'd be fine. Even with tires with lots of grip, in 4WD, both axles will get a flat rate of power. Whether it all reaches the ground or not is different. If the axles are spinning at a different rate in a 4WD car, a tire or two is slipping; I doubt any amount of sticky tires is going to overcome the power of an engine; it just doesnt happen.

Please don't try and underestimate my knowledge by questioning my practical knowledge. I, in fact, drive a true 4WD vehicle and have rebuilt my transfer case. You are real close to understanding the truth but you're not going that extra bit to try and understand. Until you have done so I will not continue this conversation.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae

Please don't try and underestimate my knowledge by questioning my practical knowledge. I, in fact, drive a true 4WD vehicle and have rebuilt my transfer case. You are real close to understanding the truth but you're not going that extra bit to try and understand. Until you have done so I will not continue this conversation.

Have you yourself gone offroading and hard tracking and noticed significant wear firsthand? :l

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae

Have you yourself gone offroading and hard tracking and noticed significant wear firsthand? :l

When I first got my old truck I went off-road and on my back home I forgot to kick it back into RWD. I took a sharp turn onto the main road I heard a nice and loud bang under the cab. That is why I have experience rebuilding my transfer case; is that practical enough for you?

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

When I first got my old truck I went off-road and on my back home I forgot to kick it back into RWD. I took a sharp turn onto the main road I heard a nice and loud bang under the cab. That is why I have experience rebuilding my transfer case; is that practical enough for you?

Okay okay, so everything makes sense to me up to just one point;

Instead of smashing the gears in the transfer case, why didnt the tires just slip into the turn and continue to spin at the same rate?

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

Instead of smashing the gears in the transfer case, why didnt the tires just slip into the turn and continue to spin at the same rate?

I still had my off-road tires aired down so they had pretty good grip.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

I thought off-road tires were supposed to be coarse and rough (I could be wrong, I definetely am no offroad expert).

And even the power of the engine couldnt shake the tires' grip?

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

I thought off-road tires were supposed to be coarse and rough (I could be wrong, I definetely am no offroad expert).

Power? 1991 Toyota Pickup with a 22RE came from the factory with a whopping 112 HP and 142 FT/LBS torque I'm just surprised it broke a well worn 19 year old gear let alone a set of new off-road tires.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

Power? 1991 Toyota Pickup with a 22RE came from the factory with a whopping 112 HP and 142 FT/LBS torque I'm just surprised it broke a well worn 19 year old gear let alone a set of new off-road tires.

I guess your point is valid if the transfer case is in worse condition than proportionally the grip of your tires.

Or am I missing anything else? ;o

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

I guess your point is valid if the transfer case is in worse condition than proportionally the grip of your tires.

Close but the point is that the transfer case can take enough stress to snap even under a low speed turn. Regardless of the condition of the gears (which weren't riddled with cracks, just well 'loved') one misuse was enough to cause catastrophic failure. Now imagine if this were on a track with a more powerful engine doing crazy sh!t.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

Close but the point is that the transfer case can take enough stress to snap even under a low speed turn. Regardless of the condition of the gears (which weren't riddled with cracks, just well 'loved') one misuse was enough to cause catastrophic failure. Now imagine if this were on a track with a more powerful engine doing crazy sh!t.

But the truth is that there are some track 4WD cars... They must have some specially designed transfer case for the purpose.. I guess it goes hand-in-hand with transmission upgrades; once your torque gets over a certain point, it's smart to upgrade your transmission to a stronger one before your destroy a gear. I guess the same thing happens in transfer cases.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae
elemein
Levis Pennae

But the truth is that there are some track 4WD cars... They must have some specially designed transfer case for the purpose.. I guess it goes hand-in-hand with transmission upgrades; once your torque gets over a certain point, it's smart to upgrade your transmission to a stronger one before your destroy a gear. I guess the same thing happens in transfer cases.

I suppose if everything is made of unobtainium worrying about driveline stresses becomes moot. But for the rest of us a differential eliminates unnecessary wear and stress.

Are you sure the cars your talking about actual 4WD cars or are they AWD cars? Because in Australia they refer to both 4WD and AWD vehicles as 4WD.

Enduring Friend

Levis Pennae

I suppose if everything is made of unobtainium worrying about driveline stresses becomes moot. But for the rest of us a differential eliminates unnecessary wear and stress.

Are you sure the cars your talking about actual 4WD cars or are they AWD cars? Because in Australia they refer to both 4WD and AWD vehicles as 4WD.

Well I live in Canada so...

And if 4WD cant even handle normal driving conditions with a little sharp turn, I'm sure something was amiss. I mean, you have a point if they were hard tracked, but just DDing?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff