Welcome to Gaia! ::

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

R.J.W
TheMerovingian
Bukumber
TheMerovingian

- Use a higher gear than you normally would if the ground is covered in snow, to avoid giving your wheels too much power, especially in an A4

i do the exact opposite. most cars can manually shift between gears 1-3. if you're going down a hill or having a hard time taking off, put yourself in first to give your tires more power, they'll get a better grip, then you can shift up to second, then third then into drive. if it's really bad, i would just leave it in third. that way, if you start to slide, the engine won't allow your car to go any faster than third gear will allow.

Do you even drive?
No, he just spins his tires a lot.

Lawl, I see what you did there!

Also, OP, the rule I follow when driving in the snow, is ******** every law, just get where I need to go, stay on your side-ish and don't hit anything, at all costs

3,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
No anti-lock brakes. I suggest pumping the brakes when stopping. I still do that because I'm not convinced the ABS does what they say it's supposed to do. I still slide with the ABS, therefore I pump the brakes manually.

Also if you don't have to stop, don't. really the car's momentum car push through a lot if you can keep it moving. I've seen a lot of cars stop at a sign or light and have trouble moving again.
Bukumber
TheMerovingian
Bukumber
TheMerovingian

- Use a higher gear than you normally would if the ground is covered in snow, to avoid giving your wheels too much power, especially in an A4

i do the exact opposite. most cars can manually shift between gears 1-3. if you're going down a hill or having a hard time taking off, put yourself in first to give your tires more power, they'll get a better grip, then you can shift up to second, then third then into drive. if it's really bad, i would just leave it in third. that way, if you start to slide, the engine won't allow your car to go any faster than third gear will allow.

Do you even drive?

****** do you?

User Image
I have always been taught "it's not acceleration that makes you slide, it's braking" With this being said, it makes sense. Snow has little to no effect on straight driving, However, when the tires make suddon movements (steering / braking) they slide right along the path of momentum they have been on (straight). Slow down as much as possible by just decelerating. If you have a car or diesel truck with the engine brake or jake brake (exhaust brake) use that. As long as the tires have no friction against them, the car will slow down with little to no sliding. With this being said, ice is ice. There really is no preventing an ice slide besides just letting off the gas and trying to not fidget around with the steering wheel as much as possible. Bridges have a lot of ice due to the fact that there is only cold air below it and cold air above which makes the perfect ice sandwich on the roads. Be cautious of any above freezing and suddon below freezing temperatures such as when driving at night,

Heavy Vehicle Mechanic

Noob

Chains..... stare

Wealthy Genius

11,600 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Profitable 100
  • Market Browser 100
My advice too, don't brake much at all and I never use the handbrake in winter (it can freeze too after an overnight of the car). Look ahead a lot (if possible) and decide on that. I have manual gearbox and slow down on the engine carefully. With good snow I never get higher than 3rd gear anyway, as it's fast enough in snow. For steering, it's like do it in slowmotion. Then the car almost never makes sudden slides/moves. And drive in other peoples tracks.

Best advice is to not go on the road, unless really necessary. A wrecked car, or worse is mostly not worth taking the risk of going somewhere.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff