Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
I got a new 2011 Scion TC in 2011. After I signed all the paperwork, the dealership told me that if even 1 of the tires needs to be replaced, all 4 need to be replaced. They said this is due to the car's alignment being off if only 1 is replaced. This made little to no sense to me. How is the car going to know or care if 4 new tires are on the vehicle or only 1 new tire? confused

He went onto say that the tires are only made in Japan and have to be sent to the dealership. However, the dealership does keep a limited supply in stock so people don't have to wait days/weeks for their tires to arrive. Again, this sounded very odd. The dealership isn't small and it does half Toyota and half Scion vehicles. If they're pushing out Scions, surely they have to have more than just a limited supply of tires. Anyway...

Have I been duped by the dealership? The 2011 model was the start of the 2nd type of TC's, if that matters. Is this tire situation only limited to my 2011/version 2 model? Is it possible they have a better supply of tires now in 2013? Do any of you have experience with Scion tires? What if I went to another place and just got 1 American tire put on the vehicle? Discuss.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This is what my car/tires look like. NOTE: This is not my actual car, nor the dealership I went to. It is just a picture from Google for your visual reference. 3nodding

DreadWhore's Other Half

Omnipresent Gekko

Lawl

He also needs to have sex with your sister because you have a vacum leak
Yup dont go to that dealer ever again. Go to another Toyota dealer if you dont trust independents.

By theory your dealer is not wrong, different tread depth will result in the car leaning to one side or another, but its hardly noticable when its off by a few mm, especially if they put the different one in the back. On a consumer level, you can ignore everything that your dealer said to you.

Premium Businessman

1,800 Points
  • Consumer 100
  • Market Browser 100
needs to be lowered..smh well Ive never heard of them replacing all, but of you know dealers are crooks, they tell you one thing and do another. lol

Original Regular

Everything that guy said is bullshit. Sure alignment may effect the tire wear which in turn could cause issues like pulls etc but with it being a normal DD I don't think you should really need to worry about that as much as he says.

If your car starts pulling just take it to a shop and have them diagnose it and ALWAYS GET a second opinion on something if it's over say, 200$. You don't need to replace all the tires unless it's an AWD vehicle or unless the drivers manual states otherwise (there are some vehicles that have some issues with traction control but most systems have a certain amount they can auto adjust, just like with the steering angle sensor). I would recommend at least replacing two at a time though unless the one tire you're not replacing is almost new or within 3/32 of tread vs the other tire on that axle.

Tell that guy you talked to that he's a b*****d for trying to take money from people who don't know any better for spiffs.
That guy was straight up lying to you. I would have liked him to say all of that to my face. I would have it on video and laugh in his face lol

There is no specific tire for a certain make. There are tires that are made in Japan, or Korea, or anywhere in the world, but you can put any tires on as long as it's the right size. Which the size is on the side of the tire.

You do not have to replace all four tires on at once unless it is AWD/4WD. A scion TC is front wheel drive. So at most you'll only need to replace 2 at a time.

And you only ever need to replace your tires under one of many circumstances.

1) Your tread level is low. There's a wear bar on it and if your tire gets to that point, it's recommended to replace. That should be between 2-3/32

2) The tire belt is showing, which is always hard to see really. because it's usually on the inside.

There's many things that goes behind when or if you need to replace tires but just know what that guy at the dealer was saying was a whole lot of poppy c**k. Find a mate that knows a lot about cars and bring him/her with you to shops or ask 'em about their opinion
to my knowledge, that only applies to awd/4wd vehicles.
so yes, you were lied to.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces