Welcome to Gaia! ::

x

Broseph143's Wife

Familiar Wolf

11,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Profitable 100
Oh it's being sold from a dealer ship. Great! You can really ******** them hard with that price. I bought a 2006 GMC 2500 HD that they wanted $25000 for and my brother and I knocked that price down to $14,598 with taxes. You can really make them move. Look for stupid things like different brand of tires, badges that are damaged, any body damage, check the rims to see if the lug nuts have been spun loose and damaged the rims at one point in its life. Just look for every stupid thing that bothers you. Don't tell them you love the car. Don't say you hate it but say, "Its alright." and then compare the car to another car you think its maybe better. They will ask you while test driving it if you love the car or not and if you say you do, they can ******** you hard when negotiating. Tell them that it being in an accident before bothers you. Make it sound like your ready to walk if they're not willing to negotiate. Do your homework and check other websites for comparable cars at cheaper prices. Make a whole day out of it. During the test drive, they might remove the price tag from another car and try and get you to test drive it. Its a dirty trick they do to try and up sale and possibly even more that what the original price tag was. Tell them things like, "There is another car I was looking at, at ______ dealership and I like it more but Id take this car if I can get it for a price that I can't refuse." They will also attack you mentally. They will tell you things like, "I've been in this business for 20 years you won't get a better deal than this." and they will say it aggressively. That's all bullshit they're just trying to get you to submit and believe you won't get it for a better price. In fact, the person who traded that car in, the dealership probably gave them $2000 for it so you could easily get that car for $6000 if not less. Don't be afraid to offend them by low balling them. When I was buying my truck, My first offer to them was $8000! It pissed them off but I don't care. It means that is where I begin with my lowest price and they will counter offer with where they will begin. You gradually keep counter offering until you met in them middle. Make sure you have a set highest price you're willing to pay for it and if that can't be met, walk away. Chances are, they will call you in a day or two or even right on the spot for the price you want it for. Also, don't ask them about financing until you negotiate a final price.

Most used cars sold at dealerships come with a short warranty term of like 2 months. Negotiate that too. Tell them you want the first 2 weeks of your short warranty term to be 100% off parts and service. Tell them you want it because it would make you feel better since the car is used and it was once in an accident. My truck I bought, it had a failed throttle position sensor and it was actually running away! Meaning I wasn't pushing on the foot pedal and yet the truck kept speeding up on its own. I didn't negotiate my warranty term. Didn't even think about it until that moment. I didn't even own the truck for 24hrs and that happened and yet the s**t heads said, "You agreed to 20% off on parts and service on the warranty agreement" So yea, learn from my mistake and negotiate that too.

Generally, used cars sold from dealers are in pretty good shape and dealerships put a lot of money into them before they sell them. I looked at the work they did to my truck I bought from the dealership and they put $4000 worth of work into that truck before they put it on the lot. They replaced the windshield, front and rear bumper, ball joints, I don't understand why but they did the U-Joints too. Truck is a little bit too new to be needing U-Joints. They replaced the shock mounts, undercoated the frame, put a new spare tire in, oil and oil filter as well as fuel filter, and brake pads and rotors. If this same said car was being sold privately, Id proceed with caution.

Sorry for the mouth full of info but knowledge is key here to getting a good deal. Also, don't let who ever goes with you to the dealership hype you into buying the car. The dealership will pick up on if your friend/family is getting excited about the car and they will use that to there advantage.
Hardlickher
Look for stupid things like different brand of tires, badges that are damaged, any body damage,

...Just look for every stupid thing that bothers you.

That's actually really smart

Hardlickher
Check the rims to see if the lug nuts have been spun loose and damaged the rims at one point in its life.

Not sure what that means

Hardlickher
Don't tell them you love the car. Don't say you hate it but say, "Its alright." and then compare the car to another car you think its maybe better.

How do I show them what I'm comparing it to? There was actually another one I was considering buying but this car is so good. And how do I get to the car if it's at a dealership? Don't I have to ask them where it is? Won't that show interest?
http://bit.ly/1oR6fDA

Hardlickher
They will ask you while test driving it if you love the car or not and if you say you do, they can ******** you hard when negotiating. Tell them that it being in an accident before bothers you.

When/how do I say so? If they know I've done research won't that also show interest? And if I ask them for a drive won't that also show interest? When do I ask them to drive? Could you please give me some steps on how to exactly do this?

Hardlickher
Make it sound like your ready to walk if they're not willing to negotiate. Do your homework and check other websites for comparable cars at cheaper prices.

I've got three but the one above is the only other one I'd be willing to buy really. The second one is absolute backup and the third is pretty bad but it's close. Should I show him the other two and say "Hey I'm deciding between these three cars. If you can offer me a price that I can't refuse I'll buy it, or I'll go to the others and just buy those." And I'm not sure if I should mention anything about my financial status because I can't buy something too expensive but would he take advantage of that and just give me a bad car?

Hardlickher
Make a whole day out of it. During the test drive, they might remove the price tag from another car and try and get you to test drive it. Its a dirty trick they do to try and up sale and possibly even more that what the original price tag was.

They make you drive a more expensive car to see if you'll like it?

Hardlickher
Tell them things like, "There is another car I was looking at, at ______ dealership and I like it more but Id take this car if I can get it for a price that I can't refuse." They will also attack you mentally.

I'd take this car if I can get it for a price that I can't refuse. Nice!

Hardlickher
They will tell you things like, "I've been in this business for 20 years you won't get a better deal than this." and they will say it aggressively.

How does this sound as a reply? "It doesn't matter how long you've been here, you're the one making the money, why would you give me a good deal?"

Hardlickher
That's all bullshit they're just trying to get you to submit and believe you won't get it for a better price. In fact, the person who traded that car in, the dealership probably gave them $2000 for it so you could easily get that car for $6000 if not less.

Man...if I could get the car for $4,000 or $5,000 I could pay that in straight cash. That would be amazing. You think that's possible?

Hardlickher
Don't be afraid to offend them by low balling them. When I was buying my truck, My first offer to them was $8000! It pissed them off but I don't care.

So you offered a price that was almost 60-70% less than what they had listed? Should I ask for the $9000 car for $2000-$3000?

Hardlickher
It means that is where I begin with my lowest price and they will counter offer with where they will begin. You gradually keep counter offering until you met in them middle.

But if I allow them to keep countering won't they take advantage?

Hardlickher
Make sure you have a set highest price you're willing to pay for it and if that can't be met, walk away.

When do I mention this? Will going up to the guy and saying "Hey if I can't get it for xxx I'm not getting it" work? I've heard that someone gave a phone number and a price on a piece of paper for a car and a few days later he got a call. I'm not sure if that'll work in my case.

Hardlickher
Chances are, they will call you in a day or two or even right on the spot for the price you want it for. Also, don't ask them about financing until you negotiate a final price.

Do I leave a number? And yeah, there's going to be no talk of paying until the price is met, of course.

Hardlickher
Most used cars sold at dealerships come with a short warranty term of like 2 months. Negotiate that too. Tell them you want the first 2 weeks of your short warranty term to be 100% off parts and service. Tell them you want it because it would make you feel better since the car is used and it was once in an accident.

That's a good idea. Still, I'm sure the car would be fine because the accident was in 2008, no?

Hardlickher
My truck I bought, it had a failed throttle position sensor and it was actually running away! Meaning I wasn't pushing on the foot pedal and yet the truck kept speeding up on its own. I didn't negotiate my warranty term. Didn't even think about it until that moment. I didn't even own the truck for 24hrs and that happened and yet the s**t heads said, "You agreed to 20% off on parts and service on the warranty agreement" So yea, learn from my mistake and negotiate that too.

Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the tip!

Hardlickher
Generally, used cars sold from dealers are in pretty good shape and dealerships put a lot of money into them before they sell them. I looked at the work they did to my truck I bought from the dealership and they put $4000 worth of work into that truck before they put it on the lot. They replaced the windshield, front and rear bumper, ball joints, I don't understand why but they did the U-Joints too. Truck is a little bit too new to be needing U-Joints. They replaced the shock mounts, undercoated the frame, put a new spare tire in, oil and oil filter as well as fuel filter, and brake pads and rotors. If this same said car was being sold privately, Id proceed with caution.

To be honest, I thought private dealers were much better because they were willing to negotiate better. If you deal too low with dealers, wouldn't they be able to just auction it off for a better price anyway?

Hardlickher
Sorry for the mouth full of info but knowledge is key here to getting a good deal. Also, don't let who ever goes with you to the dealership hype you into buying the car. The dealership will pick up on if your friend/family is getting excited about the car and they will use that to there advantage.

Thank you, and yes I'll make sure my father stays quiet.

All this info was great. I've never bought a car before and when my parents have, they just bought the thing at full price and saw others get the same thing at thousands cheaper with a little bit of talk. Thank you for all the help. I know there are a lot of questions but I'm not sure what to do.
Hardlickher
I bought a 2006 GMC 2500 HD that they wanted $25000 for and my brother and I knocked that price down to $14,598 with taxes.

That's amazing. If you can seriously get me a car for really cheap just like that, I'd seriously be willing to give you something in return.

Broseph143's Wife

Familiar Wolf

11,975 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Profitable 100
lJunKunl
Hardlickher
Look for stupid things like different brand of tires, badges that are damaged, any body damage,

...Just look for every stupid thing that bothers you.

That's actually really smart

Hardlickher
Check the rims to see if the lug nuts have been spun loose and damaged the rims at one point in its life.

Not sure what that means

If you look where the lug nuts go on the rims, if at any point in its life it spun the lugs loose, the threads for the lugs would wobble around in the hole for the lug nut bashing it open making it very unsafe and the rim needing to be replaced. I spotted that on the truck I bought and made them replace the rim. Also, that rim has a tire that didn't match the rest. I made them replace that too before buying.

Hardlickher
Don't tell them you love the car. Don't say you hate it but say, "Its alright." and then compare the car to another car you think its maybe better.

How do I show them what I'm comparing it to? There was actually another one I was considering buying but this car is so good. And how do I get to the car if it's at a dealership? Don't I have to ask them where it is? Won't that show interest?
http://bit.ly/1oR6fDA

You dad will be test driving the car with you I assume and will be there. Things you can get your dad to do is say things like, "I like how the seats to the _______ feel better than this car" It will let the salesman know that you are looking at other cars and he/she will try and convince you that "this is the car for you." They will either start telling you things that's better than the other car your interested or offer a lower price.

Hardlickher
They will ask you while test driving it if you love the car or not and if you say you do, they can ******** you hard when negotiating. Tell them that it being in an accident before bothers you.

When/how do I say so? If they know I've done research won't that also show interest? And if I ask them for a drive won't that also show interest? When do I ask them to drive? Could you please give me some steps on how to exactly do this?

If you have done your research, it will show the salesmen that you know what you want and if you're not satified by the car, you're willing to walk. The salesmen will always get you to test drive the car. You won't even have to ask they will ask you. Test driving it does show you're interested but test driving it can also reveal some things you don't like about the car that you can use to get a lower price during negotiation.

Hardlickher
Make it sound like your ready to walk if they're not willing to negotiate. Do your homework and check other websites for comparable cars at cheaper prices.

I've got three but the one above is the only other one I'd be willing to buy really. The second one is absolute backup and the third is pretty bad but it's close. Should I show him the other two and say "Hey I'm deciding between these three cars. If you can offer me a price that I can't refuse I'll buy it, or I'll go to the others and just buy those." And I'm not sure if I should mention anything about my financial status because I can't buy something too expensive but would he take advantage of that and just give me a bad car?

I always said to salesman that, "I'm just living on a tight budget and trying to get the lowest price I can get for it." What the dealership wants is someone who is rich to walk in and buy the car without a care for trying to get a lower price. However, dealerships make less money off of used cars. They make their money off of new cars or slightly used cars. That car is in their way of putting a new car on the lot. They already made a bunch of money off of the person who traded the car in, in the first place and now them reselling that car is just a bit of meat on the bones for them to pick off. You don't actually have to be interested in those three cars. You can go online and pick some random cars that's cheaper on in the same price range and lie that you're interested in those cars. The salesmen will lie to you the whole time you're dealing with him/her so don't be afraid to lie back just don't get caught in your lie. However, you want to be careful as it can backfire on you if you show interests for cars of lower prices so that is why you need to show interest in cars that are in the same class as that car. Don't compare it to a 2004 Chevy Caviler or they will tell you to just go get one of those then.

Hardlickher
Make a whole day out of it. During the test drive, they might remove the price tag from another car and try and get you to test drive it. Its a dirty trick they do to try and up sale and possibly even more that what the original price tag was.

They make you drive a more expensive car to see if you'll like it?

Yep. They will try and get you excited about it. They will tell you they "can make it happen and have you drive home today with this more expensive and better car" biggrin But they removed the original price tag while you were out test driving the other car so you have no idea what the original asking price was and they will tell you, "We can give you a special offer of $16,000!" When the original asking price was $12,000"

Hardlickher
Tell them things like, "There is another car I was looking at, at ______ dealership and I like it more but Id take this car if I can get it for a price that I can't refuse." They will also attack you mentally.

I'd take this car if I can get it for a price that I can't refuse. Nice!

Hardlickher
They will tell you things like, "I've been in this business for 20 years you won't get a better deal than this." and they will say it aggressively.

How does this sound as a reply? "It doesn't matter how long you've been here, you're the one making the money, why would you give me a good deal?"

Exactly. The salesman will try to make your feel good by saying things like, "I don't work for the dealership (which is true) I just represent you while dealing with the dealership to get you the best value. (which is a lie) The saleman does represent you but he/she will not try and get you the best price possible. They make a commission and they will try and up-sale you anyways they can. They will act jolly to make you feel like you're friends but you're not. Its just business. The dealership, after hours of dealing with you, will figure out a way to get you in that car and leaving that day. Either because they will make money off you, or they're just sick and tired of dealing with you so they give you what you want and send you on your way.

Hardlickher
That's all bullshit they're just trying to get you to submit and believe you won't get it for a better price. In fact, the person who traded that car in, the dealership probably gave them $2000 for it so you could easily get that car for $6000 if not less.

Man...if I could get the car for $4,000 or $5,000 I could pay that in straight cash. That would be amazing. You think that's possible?

If you can pay in straight cash without financing, that is a plus to you. You can even use that during negotiation. "I was hoping to not have to finance the car and just pay straight cash for it." Its very possible you could leave with that car for $4000 - $5000

Hardlickher
Don't be afraid to offend them by low balling them. When I was buying my truck, My first offer to them was $8000! It pissed them off but I don't care.

So you offered a price that was almost 60-70% less than what they had listed? Should I ask for the $9000 car for $2000-$3000?

They will definitely tell you to look at a different car if you low ball them too much so you have to be careful about that. People always make the mistake of offering whole numbers but don't be afraid to say something like $3985 as your first offer and then when they come back with a counter offer, you can say something like $4227. If you were about to settle on say $5500, the dealership might counter offer you $5789 and say, its only $289 more. They used the whole number to set that off so if you use numbers like they do, they have to think more.

Hardlickher
It means that is where I begin with my lowest price and they will counter offer with where they will begin. You gradually keep counter offering until you met in them middle.

But if I allow them to keep countering won't they take advantage?

How it works is you make an offer to them as your first offer. They will no doubt counter offer. Then you will counter offer their counter offer and then they will counter offer that new offer until you two meet somewhere in the middle. It takes hours of negotiation to get a really good price. Its costing them money just you being there and negotiating with you so they want you out with the car sold as soon as possible. So for example, you offer them $3891. You don't even have to tell them why you're offering that low just that its your starting offer. They will come back and offer you maybe from $9000 down to say $8556. Then you counter offer that say you will give them $4289. They might tell you you're not giving them room to work with but just stand your ground and tell them its your offer. The will then counter offer again to probably around $8000. You just keep counter offering until you meet at say $5500 and $6500.

Hardlickher
Make sure you have a set highest price you're willing to pay for it and if that can't be met, walk away.

When do I mention this? Will going up to the guy and saying "Hey if I can't get it for xxx I'm not getting it" work? I've heard that someone gave a phone number and a price on a piece of paper for a car and a few days later he got a call. I'm not sure if that'll work in my case.

You mention this close to when you're about to settle the negotiation. Say the dealership just wont budge for that extra bit of money you want off the price. lets say the Dealership is at $6232 and you're last offer was already close to $6000 but you don't want to pay more than that. So you give them your final offer. "If I can't get it for this then I think I'm gonna have to walk on this one" So you offer them $5921 as your final offer. If they counter offer you say $6012, sure, its only 12 more than what your highest willing price was so that's fine. But, if they counter offer $6150, you let them know that you may have to walk away on it over $150 but indirectly. They won't let you walk away for $150. They will likely counter offer you as you're about to leave a price very close to $6000.

Hardlickher
Chances are, they will call you in a day or two or even right on the spot for the price you want it for. Also, don't ask them about financing until you negotiate a final price.

Do I leave a number? And yeah, there's going to be no talk of paying until the price is met, of course.

They will have your number. They will have you fill out a dealership negotiation forum and from that form is where they will write numbers down and throw prices at you. If you leave, they will have that forum with your phone number on it. The dealership, even when you're not there, will think about ways to get this car sold to you and may call you a day later after you've walked. If there is another person interested in the car, you may have no luck in negotiation. They will gladly sell the car to someone who isn't even going to negotiate over someone who will. They may even tell you when you're about to walk away from the deal that someone else is interested in the car but chances are its just a bluff. You can then tell them that there are many cars of that same year, make, and model and that you're not worried if someone else buys it.

Hardlickher
Most used cars sold at dealerships come with a short warranty term of like 2 months. Negotiate that too. Tell them you want the first 2 weeks of your short warranty term to be 100% off parts and service. Tell them you want it because it would make you feel better since the car is used and it was once in an accident.

That's a good idea. Still, I'm sure the car would be fine because the accident was in 2008, no?

I can guarantee the dealership used the accident back in 2008 as something against the person who brought it in for a trade in. Either way, try and get at least 2 weeks of 100% off parts and labor as part of your short term warranty. Something else could go wrong.

Hardlickher
My truck I bought, it had a failed throttle position sensor and it was actually running away! Meaning I wasn't pushing on the foot pedal and yet the truck kept speeding up on its own. I didn't negotiate my warranty term. Didn't even think about it until that moment. I didn't even own the truck for 24hrs and that happened and yet the s**t heads said, "You agreed to 20% off on parts and service on the warranty agreement" So yea, learn from my mistake and negotiate that too.

Wow, that sucks. Thanks for the tip!

Hardlickher

To be honest, I thought private dealers were much better because they were willing to negotiate better. If you deal too low with dealers, wouldn't they be able to just auction it off for a better price anyway?

You can get a better price from a private dealer but cars sold from a private dealer isn't guaranteed or certified. The dealership look at everything on that car before putting it on the lot. They will cheap out on some things but you have the piece of mind knowing they won't sell you a car with a knocking piston that a private dealer would try to hide by over filling it with oil to make it so you can't hear that knocking piston.

Hardlickher

Thank you, and yes I'll make sure my father stays quiet.

All this info was great. I've never bought a car before and when my parents have, they just bought the thing at full price and saw others get the same thing at thousands cheaper with a little bit of talk. Thank you for all the help. I know there are a lot of questions but I'm not sure what to do.

Yep, talk is key to getting a lower price. It does take hours to get it done but just be persistent about it. The more time you spend there, the more money it costs them dealing with you so they end up just saying screw it and sell you the car for close to what you want for it. Dealerships thrive off of those who just pay full asking price. They in fact love those people.
9 grand for a 7 year old car? are you out of your ******** mind?
lJunKunl
Pipebracket

That's a good point that I could use. What else would you recommend for a first car that won't make me look like I'm pretty much homeless?

you live in oklahoma, based on the location in the carfax report.

go buy a used cherokee or ranger or S10 or maybe a taurus or escort or something for like 1500 to 2k dollars, even with the shittier gas mileage you'll still save money over spending 9k on a massively overpriced used car.

don't buy a used car from a dealer; financing a used car is just a round about way of asking for an ********.
lJunKunl
Pipebracket
lJunKunl
Pipebracket

That's a good point that I could use. What else would you recommend for a first car that won't make me look like I'm pretty much homeless?

you live in oklahoma, based on the location in the carfax report.

go buy a used cherokee or ranger or S10 or maybe a taurus or escort

Judging by you using my location to give car recommendations, you're assuming that I'm like one of them. No, I hate this place. I'm from New York. I'm not gonna buy some weird truck.

Pipebracket
or something for like 1500 to 2k dollars,

My budget is around $5000, I'd rather not get some garbage that'll break down and I'll have to spend that much money on it anyway

Pipebracket
even with the shittier gas mileage you'll still save money over spending 9k on a massively overpriced used car.

I'm not getting it anyway, it just got sold ._.

Here was my backup one though: http://bit.ly/1oR6fDA

Pipebracket
don't buy a used car from a dealer; financing a used car is just a round about way of asking for an ********.

Why?

your misconception is that a taurus or an escort is a truck. I am basing my suggestions on what is available in your area, not some misguided stereotype about who you are.

you can spend 1500 to 2500 on a car and not have it be something that's going to break down, that's just foolishness.

and finanicing a used car is incurring debt on something that 1) they're charging you too much for anyway because it's a dealer and 2) now you're paying substantial interest on something that doesn't even have a warranty.

what you ought to do is go crack open the classifieds section in the news paper, find something in that 1500 to 2500 range, and start looking at cars. pop the hood, kick the tires. look for a clean engine. a clean engine isn't leaking oil, a clean engine has been taken care of.

you could try craigslist, but your best bet is something owned by somebody 50 years old or older, and they probably won't know to list it on Craigslist so you'll probably get a better price.

The concept that reliability is based on cost, or that dealerships have the best cars is a misguided one at best.

besides, this is your first car, so you don't wanna blow your whole load on something that you're probably going to crash anyway.

Now, again with this being your first car, I'm gonna take a wild stab at guessing that I'm between eight and ten years older than you, so I've been down this road a time or too before, and I might possibly have an idea about what I'm talking about.
Pipebracket pretty much nailed it. Try this, pop open your local craigslist, and set the bar at $2,500. Look at everything that's available, and decide which ones you think you'd enjoy driving. Then go research that car, the company that makes it, which years are good, which ones to avoid. Figure out if maintenance is going to be an issue (back in montreal, it's hard to find someone who'll work on Volkswagens, and forget about finding a mechanic who'll work on Mazda's rotary engine). Find out if maybe the car is simple enough that you could learn to work on it yourself?

Newer doesn't mean better. Mileage isn't a good indicator of the state of the car or its internals. One brand isn't better than the other. Except hyundai and kia. Don't buy those.

Do. Your. Research.
they should just sell that thing to the junk shop or the salvage yard

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas