Welcome to Gaia! ::

My Mountaineer has a Class II (1 1/4" hitch) I plan on getting a 4-bike hitch-mounted rack, and even if the rack was loaded down with 4 bikes, I know it won't exceed the tongue weight rating, but I feel like there would be a lot of vibration and torque to that little 1 1/4" tube (especially when bouncing around at 70mph) so I am considering getting a Class III hitch that mounts underneath the factory one. Then a Class III bike rack. I feel like that would be much more stable over a Class II model. There are also more Class III racks on the market, but I'm looking at ~$180 for a new hitch just to mount a slightly larger rack...

The result would be this:
(Factory Class II on top, aftermarket class III beneath)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Do you think that looks cheesy?

Would it be worth it to go with the bigger hitch or just get a Class II bike rack?

Aged Millionaire

17,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Alchemy Level 5 100
  • Partygoer 500
zosh
My Mountaineer has a Class II (1 1/4" hitch) I plan on getting a 4-bike hitch-mounted rack, and even if the rack was loaded down with 4 bikes, I know it won't exceed the tongue weight rating, but I feel like there would be a lot of vibration and torque to that little 1 1/4" tube (especially when bouncing around at 70mph) so I am considering getting a Class III hitch that mounts underneath the factory one. Then a Class III bike rack. I feel like that would be much more stable over a Class II model. There are also more Class III racks on the market, but I'm looking at ~$180 for a new hitch just to mount a slightly larger rack...

The result would be this:
(Factory Class II on top, aftermarket class III beneath)
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Do you think that looks cheesy?

Would it be worth it to go with the bigger hitch or just get a Class II bike rack?
stay with the class 2 and dont worry. I have a wrangler with class 3, my friend has the same with a class 2, and my other friend the same with an over the tire mount. They all bounce the same amount and all fit 4 bikes other than the over tire mount holds 2. Save your money and just get the class 2 rack. And if you can afford it buy a thule, all my friends like mine the best.

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
If you're just putting a bike rack on it then a Class II would be more than adequate.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff